PDA

View Full Version : Brook trout?

Land-her
08-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Any where near Calgary to catch Brook trout in a lake?

I would prefer using bait and in a lake.

Thanks
Bart

Scott N
08-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Elbow Lake in Kananaskis, but you won't catch anything very big, and there is a short 1km + hike involved. It's pretty up there.

Land-her
08-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Elbow Lake in Kananaskis, but you won't catch anything very big, and there is a short 1km + hike involved. It's pretty up there.

Any where around the city close by that I could drop my small boat in?

Thanks for that info though.

Scott N
08-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Any where around the city close by that I could drop my small boat in?

Thanks for that info though.

For brookies, as far as I know, the closest lakes that you could drop your boat in are in the Crowsnest Pass.

Land-her
08-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Hmmm, Do they get big in there and by big I mean 5lbs -8lbs?

I have never harvested brookies and tryed them...

Scott N
08-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Hmmm, Do they get big in there and by big I mean 5lbs -8lbs?

I have never harvested brookies and tryed them...

Unfortunately no, you won't find brookies that big anywhere around Calgary, or Alberta for that matter. Are you new to Alberta?

Land-her
08-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Born in calgary for a few years and moved out to BC. Now i'm back.

Scott N
08-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Born in calgary for a few years and moved out to BC. Now i'm back.

While Alberta has some great fishing opportunities, the opportunity to harvest good sized fish is very limited unfortunately. You might find yourself missing BC!

Speckle55
08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Unfortunately no, you won't find brookies that big anywhere around Calgary, or Alberta for that matter. Are you new to Alberta?

I do not agree as i have a 12#13oz Brookie mount from Alberta and one of my older angler friends caught a 5#er last year ice fishing and allmost every year our club has had 5# plus winners in the last few years.. we have BC beat on biggest x2:sHa_shakeshout:

:thinking-006:check out my pictures hit Speckle55 and look at album enjoy!!

David:)

Bhflyfisher
08-14-2012, 01:55 AM
I do not agree as i have a 12#13oz Brookie mount from Alberta and one of my older angler friends caught a 5#er last year ice fishing and allmost every year our club has had 5# plus winners in the last few years.. we have BC beat on biggest x2:sHa_shakeshout:

:thinking-006:check out my pictures hit Speckle55 and look at album enjoy!!

really? we have BC beat on biggest? 4-6 lb brookies come out of some BC lakes on a regular basis. While your biggest fish is nice, there aren't many more of those around anymore.

Alberta does not even compete with BC on a fishing level. Its ridiculous to even think so.

Speckle55
08-14-2012, 02:58 PM
really? we have BC beat on biggest? 4-6 lb brookies come out of some BC lakes on a regular basis. While your biggest fish is nice, there aren't many more of those around anymore.

Alberta does not even compete with BC on a fishing level. Its ridiculous to even think so.

Alberta

Pine Lake 12#14oz
Maligne lake 12#13 oz mine WR 8# recorded
7#ers Hinton Fish and Game assoc Club records / some mounted not recorded up to 9.2
7lbers Maligne Lake history Russel Thornberry book fishing

I had a 9 to 11# Male on in netting range for 5 minutes June 17 1984 Maligne lake

BC aas a 11#er in think as their record and has a couple good brookie lakes maybe more now with 3n's.. but so do we now

Scott's post was you won,t find any in Alberta that big 5# to 8# .. we have Bigger as proven by anglers

and you get your info from where,, by saying that they have a better fish

i get mine every year as look after our fish board and have our record book at home with me

You can Quote me that we will get some 5# to 8# Brook Trout in the next 20 years in Alberta with these 3n's ..

some of the anglers on here can post bigger than 5# Brookies

i could list 4 lakes within 1 1/2 hours of me with Brook Trout bigger than 5# !!!

:thinking-006:thats only in my area

Bhflyfisher
08-14-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm not saying that there isn't big brook trout in alberta. Like people have pointed out before, you cant keep dwelling on your fish from decades ago. Its simply not like that anymore. Alberta does not have bigger brook trout then BC, you might be able to go as far as saying alberta has brook trout the same size as BC, but definitely not in the numbers. Maybe in your glory days (1980's) But not anymore.

If you really want to get technical speck. Fortress lake is in BC.

These are not my fish, but they are my friends from across the border. Hopefully they dont mind me posting. Many lakes produce fish of these size in BC.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/jp465_2008/23_inch_Brookie.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/jp465_2008/Big_Brookie.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/jp465_2008/brookie.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/jp465_2008/Brookie_E.jpg

The year is 2012 speck. Not 1984.

Food For thought.
:)jeremie

Land-her
08-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Well is there a place to catch 2-4lbers?

I'm leaving on 16th thursday and will be fishing friday all day.
Just would like some help on were to go.

I plan on driving up to 3 hours one way.

Thanks a bunch guys

Bart

Land-her
08-14-2012, 03:43 PM
How big do the Lakers get in spray lakes?

Scott N
08-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Alberta

Pine Lake 12#14oz
Maligne lake 12#13 oz mine WR 8# recorded
7#ers Hinton Fish and Game assoc Club records / some mounted not recorded up to 9.2
7lbers Maligne Lake history Russel Thornberry book fishing

I had a 9 to 11# Male on in netting range for 5 minutes June 17 1984 Maligne lake

BC aas a 11#er in think as their record and has a couple good brookie lakes maybe more now with 3n's.. but so do we now

Scott's post was you won,t find any in Alberta that big 5# to 8# .. we have Bigger as proven by anglers

and you get your info from where,, by saying that they have a better fish

i get mine every year as look after our fish board and have our record book at home with me

You can Quote me that we will get some 5# to 8# Brook Trout in the next 20 years in Alberta with these 3n's ..

some of the anglers on here can post bigger than 5# Brookies

i could list 4 lakes within 1 1/2 hours of me with Brook Trout bigger than 5# !!!

:thinking-006:thats only in my area

Let me just clarify my earlier post.... it's not that there aren't 5 pound + brookies around, but if there is a place in Alberta where you can bait fish for them and legally harvest them on a regular basis, I'm all ears. :)

Speckle55
08-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Look at www.Hintonfishandgame.ca trophy winners and you will see one last year winner for the club and i know of picture was sent like yours to me by friends of some others in the 5# plus range from stocked lakes here and every year in Alberta 5# plus are caught..

My club records.. other anglers have caught bigger sometimes and were not members or did not want to put their names in our contest/also some years more 5#ers but the winner was 1 or more oz ahead.. also lots of 4# plus Brookies caught

Recorded 5#4 2011
5#3 2010
5#7 2006
5#4 2003
5#6 2001
with them now stocking 3n Brook Trout the number of big brook Trout will go up imo .. my under standing is BC has been stocking 3n for a few years

:thinking-006:my point was and is that BC has no 12# Brook Trout Caught and recorded

i was born in BC but raised in Alberta and am Alberta Proud:sHa_shakeshout:

they have a great fisheries though.. i know lots of Albertans that have fished Fortress and never caught a 4# Brook Trout ..

Those are nice fish though most anglers will never see one like that in their life time .. only the Master Anglers in areas will and your friend in one of those .. i have 10 anglers in my area that do have 5# plus Brook Trout from Alberta Stocked lakes

Scott get AFGA book 2011 Alberta Records Book and you will see named lakes
http://afga.org/events/AFGA-Record-Book-Order/f3d5e0e8bb52548ad9e73f0c4f81be82/

Bhflyfisher
08-14-2012, 05:27 PM
they have a great fisheries though.. i know lots of Albertans that have fished Fortress and never caught a 4# Brook Trout ..

I know anglers that have gone into fortress and pulled out 8lb fish, dave himself has pulled out some very big brook trout. Like you said, only the more experienced anglers catch the bigger fish.

A 5lb brook trout is roughly 20"-22" if its conditioned well. That being said, i've seen 2-3lb fish in the 20-22" range out of maligne. Because those fish are stunted/stunting however you want to say it.

the difference between a 12# 3oz fish vs an 11# 12oz fish, is so little. Which goes to say you cant really say that there is any advantage that alberta has over BC in the big brook trout regard. Maybe if the difference was a pound and a half or more, that might hold a little more weight (pun intended) in my books.

There are many more big brook trout. I have a buddy who pulled out 8 fish in a single day, that were the same sizes as you are describing in your records.

Speckle55
08-14-2012, 05:42 PM
I know anglers that have gone into fortress and pulled out 8lb fish, dave himself has pulled out some very big brook trout. Like you said, only the more experienced anglers catch the bigger fish.

A 5lb brook trout is roughly 20"-22" if its conditioned well. That being said, i've seen 2-3lb fish in the 20-22" range out of maligne. Because those fish are stunted/stunting however you want to say it.

the difference between a 12# 3oz fish vs an 11# 12oz fish, is so little. Which goes to say you cant really say that there is any advantage that alberta has over BC in the big brook trout regard. Maybe if the difference was a pound and a half or more, that might hold a little more weight (pun intended) in my books.

There are many more big brook trout. I have a buddy who pulled out 8 fish in a single day, that were the same sizes as you are describing in your records.

Mine was 12#13 oz after 2 1/2 hours out of water and the gills were broke(bled out) as you can see in my picture's in my album on here and was weight on a Goverment certified scale.. it weight 14# 2oz on my hand scale or 14# 4oz June 28 1984 when i caught down the lake and is 29 1/2 inches long.. 18 1/2 girth

I rest my case

Bhflyfisher
08-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Sure david, 28 years ago. Nobody is running downriggers and bucktails on fortress.

Speckle55
08-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Genitic's don,t change much in 1979 a Jasper Angler of 40 years on Maligne told me of 10# Brook Trout .. i got into 2 in 1984 ..

Not sure how he new that they were that big in there :sign0161:

but i:thinking-006: he was a Master Angler of that lake and had been into or caught and release /or kept a few in his time .... imo

but who am i to know Maligne or Brook Trout

Alberta Master Angler Brook Trout
World Recorded Holder number 2 all time in books Brook Trout Alberta
Current 8# line class WR holder Brook Trout from Alberta
IGFA and NFWH World Record Holder/ RMWF/Brook Trout/Northern Pike

i don't think Fortress Lake is in the World Record Books yet?

ok David take a pill .. roflmao sorry all

Food for Thought

Speckle55
08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Sure david, 28 years ago. Nobody is running downriggers and bucktails on fortress.

You should try this in Fortress ;;;
http://troutfishinghelp.blogspot.ca/2006/11/new-world-record-brook-trout-caught-in.html

tacklerunner
08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
How big do the Lakers get in spray lakes?

I'm sure there are 20 lbers lurking in there. Anything that hits double digits is a trophy. Most are smaller 1 - 3 lbs. Lakers in spray are targeting more commonly through the ice.

Lake Minnewanka has BIG lakers but you need a park license and there are restrictions on using lead as wait so do some research before you fish it. This applies to all park waters.

tacklerunner
08-15-2012, 09:34 AM
David, in BC we target these instead of brookies. You already know this.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/262lbrainbow.jpg

Speckle55
08-15-2012, 11:33 AM
David, in BC we target these instead of brookies. You already know this.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/262lbrainbow.jpg

Very Nice Bow.. i am jealous and love the Colors/Kype .. i need to get back to fish Kootenay this fall/winter

those Bucktail's are my experiment on bigger fish around here .. not yet but may be a Brookie or a nice Cutt or a Bow .. BAM and Hang ON

Maligne 16.5 Rainbow in a test net Parks Canada years ago reported in Russel Thornberry/Peter Grimwood book on Jasper.. also a 7 lb Brookie off the Dock
i forgot what was wrote as i just re-read his book

WabbitKilla
08-15-2012, 01:22 PM
I hooked into a couple big brookies at Peppers Lake last winter. Was tough fishing but fun. The lake is located about 45 northwest of Caroline.