PDA

View Full Version : Technique specific rods....difference?

slvrsurfr
04-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Wondering if someone could shed some light on the differences. I've noticed rods are designated with different techniques( drop shot, spinnerbait, jig & worm etc.)...what's the difference in these applications and could a rod designated as jig & worm still be used for say, casting spoons and still be as effective....it's all very confusing to me....

bearbait
04-21-2008, 03:54 PM
i use a ultra light rod for most of my fishin...like to be able to feel the take..its all about what u want out of your rod.i like to feel the bumps so i use an ultra light rod and lite line for everything from trout to wallys and pike.i find the fight alot more intense..some will use a differant rod reel combo for each type of fish...

its all preferance...jmo
rob

sky-guy
04-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I get what you're saying, confusing! but also needless, I must say. I think that the fish are really impartial to what kind of rod & reel combo your using. If they are hungry for what you are offering, you will get fish, period. I believe that the rods being produced are of good quality (expensive) and we tend to take care of them. This results in a fisherman buying a rod, then not needing another for 10-15 years...hence not buying rods! one way to sell snow to an eskimo is to tell him its shaved ice, snowcone, ice powder... whatever just dont let him know that its ALL SNOW!!!!! I say find a rod that you like the action on and do with it what you will. I have yet to hear a fish complain!
cheers and blue skies!!!

slvrsurfr
04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
thanks for the input guys..i thought there would be more input since a lot of serious fisherman on here...oh well, thanks again

bobbypetrolia
04-21-2008, 10:38 PM
I think alot of people are confused by the question......or maybe its just me. Lol.
I have 2 shimano's and 2 st.croix rods and I just went and looked at them. No where on them is any of the techniques you mentioned that rods were labelled with........mine tell what 'action' the rod is and the rated pound test line reccomended for that specific rod. I've never seen a rod rated ( written anywhere on it, anyway) for a specific lure..........Sure, there are certain rods for certain techniques (trolling, casting, jigging......etc), this I realize, but I have never seen a rod rated for "spinnerbaits". Maybe I am wrong.........its been 2 years since I bought one. Anyone else confused by this question?

slvrsurfr
04-21-2008, 11:06 PM
maybe i wasn't making myself very clear...i'm looking at baitcasting rods...the two examples you just used (shimano and st. croix) have different model #s referring to different applications...hmm..this isnt easy to explain..if you check out st croix for example, on their website it shows all the different rods and lists their uses...just wondering how much difference it makes to use a rod designated for one style in a different application....ok, now i've confused myself....hehehe

bobbypetrolia
04-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Sorry for assuming Slvr.........I was talking about spinning rods.
I'm not sure why they rate these baitcasters, but because they do; it probably does make a difference........and in some cases, it might be a small difference, but it others, it could make all the difference.

slvrsurfr
04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
no worries...i assume there are differencesw as well just not sure if they are enough to make a difference...

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-21-2008, 11:50 PM
maybe i wasn't making myself very clear...i'm looking at baitcasting rods...the two examples you just used (shimano and st. croix) have different model #s referring to different applications...hmm..this isnt easy to explain..if you check out st croix for example, on their website it shows all the different rods and lists their uses...just wondering how much difference it makes to use a rod designated for one style in a different application....ok, now i've confused myself....hehehe

Ok im no prio here but do alot of fishing. I think other then heavy action medium action and light action is what you have to look at .As far as bait casters you want something with some snap , Of course lighter the action the lighter you have to use a lure meaning smaller jigs, spinners and such.The thing id say you want to worry about is price not knowing if thats something your worrying about but remember match the action of your rod to the action of your reel.If you got any other questions just ask Hope this helps covers what your wanting to know.

slvrsurfr
04-22-2008, 12:01 AM
thanks BIGBADJOHN......yeah, i'm totally aware of actions/power and that stuff....i think i'll not pay as much attention to what their applications are and just go with what feels right...whats the worst that can happen...thanks buddy

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-22-2008, 12:15 AM
No problem any time.

tyu33
04-22-2008, 04:16 AM
One helpful thing I was told about casting rods, is to get one that has a large diameter hole on the closest eyelet to the reel. It makes it easier for the line to slide through when casting. Anyway,that's what I was told by a guy who sold them.

FisherPotch
04-22-2008, 07:44 AM
A large first guide is an exeptional design for casters imho. Some of the top end makes have narrowd there rods down to specific applications by making ajustments to all the variables there are in a rod. Such as length, action, spine, sensitivity, tip speed, etc. By adjusting these variables they can make a rod better for particular applications. You want what feels right for you. You have to ask yourself what applications you intend to use your rod for and go from there.

I like em light because its sensitive. I'm with sky guy the fish don't care what rod your running. These top end companies in my opinion are trying to convince people that they need a different rod for every lure in there tackle. This is why i preach the ugly stick because it lasts and i find it sensitive enough if you chose the correct action and length. It's true that these high comp graphite rods and 60 million modulus rods are incredibley sensitive but at what cost. Ive got many im-6 graphite rods for cheap at wallmart and they do the job but no warranty and i've had two break. Both were im-6 graphite blanks. Uglys have graphite core's only i think.

Are You still looking at loomis rods?

Waxy
04-22-2008, 08:40 AM
My thoughts -

It comes down to the indvidiual angler. If you're truly a hardcore fisherman and you're capable of maximizing the value of every piece of your equipment, there's no doubt that these specialized rods all have their place and they are all the bets option for their specific application.

However, for the average guy, I think they're overkill for the most part. It comes down to weight and action of the rod, and then the quality of the rod itself. Match the weight and action to your application, buy the best quality graphite rod you can, and you're off to the races. Beyond that, you're getting into shades of grey. Really fine shades of grey in the situation you're describing.

That being said, really different techniques - trolling crankbaits, live bait rigging, vertical jigging, casting, etc... are best done with technique specific rods, ie each one requires a different weight, action, and length of rod to be most effective. You don't need those rods, one simple medium weight, fast action rod around 6'6" and a decent reel will allow you to catch plenty of fish, but if you want to maximize your fishing ability and enjoyment, a selection of different rods and reels will work better. All the different rods offered by the high end companies like Shimano and St Croix are just a further refinement of that principle.

IMHO fishing with high end, technique specific gear is a bit of a chicken and egg situation, the equipment will make you a better fisherman, but you also need to be (or at least want to be) a better fisherman to appreciate and use the equipment.

I think rods are a lot like the endless caliber and rifle debates on this forum. If you choose to, you can refine your rifle to specific game/situations, you can then refine your caliber to specific game and scenarios, from there you can get into refining your exact load and bullet, etc... Or, you can just buy one rifle and a couple boxes of ammo and use it for everything.

It comes down to personal choices and preference.

Waxy

slvrsurfr
04-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Great insight guys...I appreciate it. And Waxy, I was looking at exactly what you were describing...medium action,fast tip in 6'6"...and I think if a person followed the exact recommendations of these companies you'd have to have a dozen rods to go fishing....

FisherPotch
04-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Waxy's got it. These specialized rods are as good as it gets for the application they are set up for. But enless you fish for a living they can be overkill.

If you are only going to buy one rod try to find one that fits all applications that you intend to use 6'6'' is a good length. I personally like having many rods for different set ups. Like Waxy said a selection is to your advantage.

I'd take a good gander through a cabelas or bass pro shops or thefishing hole catalog. There is tonnes of selection out there.

You are right, these companies want you to buy dozens of rods. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this site with over a dozen rods.

slvrsurfr
04-22-2008, 09:13 AM
hey Fisherpotch, I too have several rods but this is going to be the first baitcasting one i have bought in years...used to fish the vedder river in bc with one...i just didn't remember having to wade through all the different "techniques"...hehehe and I agree when you say unless you fish for a living it may not be worth going so specific. I remember as a kid fishing with a stick..hehehe...how times have changed.....thanks again

FisherPotch
04-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Ya things get complicated with technology. But the equipment is superior.

What do you have planed for your baitcaster?

slvrsurfr
04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Just want a solid all arounder...a lot of river use...i have a shimano curado reel to put on it.......all the confusion started when i was looking at the st croix....they are all technique specific....but i think any of them will do the job....

Waxy
04-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Just want a solid all arounder...a lot of river use...i have a shimano curado reel to put on it.......all the confusion started when i was looking at the st croix....they are all technique specific....but i think any of them will do the job....

I agree.

My best advice would be to go down to the sporting goods stores (with your reel) and put your hands on as many of them as you can. Pick the one that feels best to you and has the features you like the best in the weight and action you want, and take it home with you. I doubt you'll be disappointed regardless of how you end up using it.

Waxy

slvrsurfr
04-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Looking at the st croix legend tournament 6'6"...split grip..medium action, fast tip.....and since we are all in agreement that application isnt the be all and end all, think I will pick it up. Worst case scenario is I don't like it and that would mean someone here would get a great deal on a rod.....thanks for the help everyone....

fishing101
04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
When your looking at a new rod you get what you pay for as they say. When your looking at the rods look at the warranties some companies have lifetime. So, if you spend like 120 bucks and something happens you can send it back. You only really need three rods. A 5-9 or 6 foot medium light action with a fast tip for jigging walleyes. For casting larger lures for pike a 6-6 or 7 foot medium heavy action rod. For trolling crankbaits a 6-4 foot medium action rod with a soft tip so you don't pull the hooks out. This rod can also be used for casting jerk baits also.

If you get a gloomis they have the type of fishing they are used for on them.

Waxy
04-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Looking at the st croix legend tournament 6'6"...split grip..medium action, fast tip.....and since we are all in agreement that application isnt the be all and end all, think I will pick it up. Worst case scenario is I don't like it and that would mean someone here would get a great deal on a rod.....thanks for the help everyone....

Sounds like a sweet rod, I can't see you being disappointed with it.

BUT, let me know ASAP if you don't like it. :D

Waxy

slvrsurfr
04-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Hey Waxy....if it doesn't turn out you will be the first to know....

Bogman10
04-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Waxy's got it. These specialized rods are as good as it gets for the application they are set up for. But enless you fish for a living they can be overkill.

If you are only going to buy one rod try to find one that fits all applications that you intend to use 6'6'' is a good length. I personally like having many rods for different set ups. Like Waxy said a selection is to your advantage.

I'd take a good gander through a cabelas or bass pro shops or thefishing hole catalog. There is tonnes of selection out there.

You are right, these companies want you to buy dozens of rods. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this site with over a dozen rods.

I don't have more then 12 fishing rods, unless of course you add in the fly fishing rods, trolling rods, bait casting rods , but I don't have 12 fishing rods!! LOL

TJG
04-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Fishing 101 is dead on, differant rods for differant technics.
No, u dont need differant rods for every fishing technic,
but fish with an ugly stick, then fish with a Fenwick or
a G Loomis, you can feel the differance when a fish is
nibbling on ur jig or tapping ur crank. Rods dont make
u a better fisherman, fishing does. But if I am in a derby,
I sure feel I would like the best rod I feel comfortable with,
regardless of the price or celebrity endorsments!