PDA

View Full Version : Why Trout??

NSR Monger
08-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Time for another battle on the forum, I personally can't see any reason at all to catch trout (not saying there isn't, I just don't see it) but I'd love for someone to try and convince me why they are fun for so many people to catch. They are so damn small! They are ok to eat but sure as hell no walleye! Can't imagine they fight a whole lot either.........is the only reason people like catching trout because they can be more colorful than other sport species in Alberta?? I'm talking about TARGETING trout.......

To make this more clear..........

Pike are fun to catch because they fight the hardest........
Walleye are great eating.......
Sturgeon are very rare..........
Trout are...........???

No offense, but I see many pics and stories of catching these tiny guys, how can it be so fun to catch something that is so damn small?? Even a HUGE trout is like 13-15 inches, not big by any means compared to the other sport fish in Alberta

Darren N
08-14-2012, 02:34 PM
When a trout outsmarts you one day and you catch him the next, then you will understand. it's the thrill of them biting your hook or fly and keeping them on. it's not in how hard something pulls.

The most incredible catch I have seen was this guy on BBC that made a quest and predicted that when the continents were connected that brown trout would be in the deapest jungles of this certain river in India. almost one year it took him with gov permission, and seeking guides to trek out and fish this river that possibly has never been seen by man. After checking out the local hatch and creating a fly, on his second cast he caught this 8'' brown trout. I have more respect for that catch than any lunker we pull out of our lakes here.

AppleJax
08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Pound for pound trout are by far the strongest fighting fish (in my opinion). If you have only caught them 12-13 inches perhaps you need to try more than just fishing "put and take" ponds. I have caught plenty of trought in Alberta over 20 inches. If you were to try the Ram River or Hummingbird Creek like in a recent thread you will experience the beautiful scenery and crystal clear water.

EZM
08-14-2012, 02:38 PM
A few thoughts come to mind;

1) Try out a fly rod or ultra light spin casting outfit. Size your gear down and a 14" trout becomes a monster. Awesome fight.

2) Hike into a high mountain lake or high stream surrounded by awesome scenery.

3) Clear water is a nice change late summer - as opposed to Walleye and Pike holes that a green and stinky this time of year.

Chris84
08-14-2012, 02:39 PM
I am primarily a pike and walleye fisherman, but trout are more of a challenge. They are way more finicky and depending which species of trout there can be quite a steep learning curve. As for trout being small, ask fishinggeeks if a 13-15" trout is huge.

ericlin0122
08-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Pike are fun to catch because they fight the hardest........

ya, they fight hard for 1 pull then they give up.

jediablo
A 20"+ Rainbow or Brown trout from the Bow River fights harder than any Walleye of similar size / weight. The Rainbows tend to make huge leaps into the air, which is VERY exciting. I have never seen a Walleye do that. A Pike probably fights a little harder, but I still find the trout more exciting to catch.

fishman
Let The bashing begin....lol

Pike have to be the stupid fish there is you could probably catch them on a piece of string.

Walleye arent much smarter as usually if you find the school you sit there until there is none left and perch are the same.

Ok lets look at trout ....ok rainbows arent the smartest trout either that is why alot of people like to fish them.....i fish them but they arent my favorite fish.

brook trout and brown trout in a lake are alot smarter even a cutthroat is smarter..............big browns and big browns are around but very hard to catch.

Ok let see size was next statement saying 15 inch trout is big **** i catch way bigger fish then that in streams mind lakes....last trip was out for rainbows biggest fish was 22 inch but it was in the heat so septemeber always catch bigger fish.

Ok next one they taste like **** hummmmmmmmmm i really think pike and there bones suck the big one sure perch and walleye are good eating.........ok were do you catch big enough perch to have a meal and walleye were do you catch them that you csasn keep them.............ok trout in most pothole lakes taste like mud but lets go to some clean cold water and trout is yummmmmmmmy ................summing up why i fish trout......i grew up fishing jacks,perch and walleye and i found no challenge to them............trout is way more challenging and flyfishing for them is ups the challenge.............i would rather catch a #5 trout on a flyrod then any #20 jack on a spinning reel.........................bring it on..............................lol

fishman
08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
A 20"+ Rainbow or Brown trout from the Bow River fights harder than any Walleye of similar size / weight. The Rainbows tend to make huge leaps into the air, which is VERY exciting. I have never seen a Walleye do that. A Pike probably fights a little harder, but I still find the trout more exciting to catch.
first walleye i caught on my flyrod i thought i snagged a old boot as there was that much fight......lol.............and jacks arent much better

WorldClass
08-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Walley pike and perch = meat fishing.

trout = sport fishing.

there is no sport in pike imo, as you get a few head shakes, then they barrel roll up in your line and you just drag them in.

pound for pound you will never get as good of a fight as you get from a trout. Unless it's a Steelhead, which can be argued as being a trout over a salmon, but really they're all salmonids.

to be perfectly honest, the funnest fish I have ever caught would have to be a pink salmon, sea lice fresh from the ocean in the kitimat river. I quickly learned why they're sometimes called circle fish. You know how hard it is to keep a fish on your line when it's swimming in tight circles very fast.

justinO
08-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Many different types of trout, and ways of catching them. Trout lb for lb will compare with any sport fish when talking about power, they torpedoo out of the water and will scream your drag once you get into 1lb+ fish. Then all the different tactics and water types lakes streams rivers ponds you are talking about a huge class of fishing here.

TyreeUM
08-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Even a HUGE trout is like 13-15 inches

haha say what?

ice
08-14-2012, 03:08 PM
I fish both, but I prefer pike/walleye fishing, mainly walleye cause the hunt is always on for a bigger better walleye. My record to date is 12 lbs
Trout are just fun i find cause they're finicky

bellr77
08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
As somebody else said pound for pound trout fight harder and are more sporting to catch. Walley and Pike are fun but it kinda takes the fun out of it when there is far less of a challenge. I could take a can of minnows to Sylvan Lake and catch walleye till I got bored but unfortunately that happens fairly quickly.

As for size there are larger trout but if all your catching is little guys and you want a better fight, then downsize your equipment, I have super light fast action rod about 5'6" that I use for trout fishing with a real light reel or I fly fish (poorly).

The greatest fun I have had fishing I think its going to lac la plonge SK on may long weekend growing up and hammering big lakers, try and reel in a 27 pound laker and there is nothing that compares that I have fished for anywhere in any lake. (Never been sturgeon fishing). I have caught big 25lb pike and let me tell you they are not even in the same league.

Dust1n
08-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Can you fool a pike/walleye or even a sturgeon in eating a size 20 fly? I dont think so...
Can a walleye or sturgeon grow to large sizes in a creek you can jump across.
Dont think so...
Iv yet to see a walleye jump higher then me while wading out...while rainbows and the odd brown out of the bow or oldman do it on a regular basis.
You can use 7x tippet on any of those species because they will break you off.
And to finish it off...
http://www.fishinggeeks.net/
I rest my case.

waterninja
08-14-2012, 03:21 PM
it's too bad you haven't caught a trout larger than 13". hook a 2 or 3 lbs. and you'll have a real fight on your hands with lots of aerial acrobatics. can't think of another species of fish in alberta that gives you a better fight pound for pound. plus there very tasty.

Heavy K
08-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Trout hang out in the areas where I like to hang out. Pike, walleye, and perch don't. When Walleye start hammering a perfectly matched fly, perfectly drifted over the surface of a perfect feeding lie on a perfect mountain stream nine hours into the backcountry, then I'll fish for them too.

I'm not so sure if I'd characterize a 20+ inch rainbow making several three foot out of the water on the end of your leader as a poor fighter, but I'm probably not the best poised to make that distinction.

If you think trout taste like chit, you should stop fishing in dugouts or maybe you should work on your cooking skills. ;)

You fish for Walleye, and I'll fish for trout. Good times for all, and all for perfectly good reasons!

hk

Reddevill
Love catching any type of rainbow's, beautiful fish. Here's a pick of a jack jumping and fighting for it's life! Took the pic with my i-phone while reeling him in!

BeeGuy
haha say what?

Tis true.

They gotta be genetically modified to get any attention.

Okotokian
08-14-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm not in love with trout. I'm in love with WHERE THEY LIVE.

In the past week I've been on beautiful little isolated rivers 3 times, no one else around, working riffles, pools, etc. with my fly rod, waist deep in water. Deer crossing the river 50 yards downstream... beautiful.

Go back and forth trolling on a lake in a power boat with your rod sitting in a rod holder? No thanks. If you enjoy that, more power to you.

justinO
08-14-2012, 03:31 PM
You can't say all of any fish are stupid or not fun. You have to find the sport in them. When fish are very active and biting like crazy anyone can catch them for the most part. The days when they are not biting is when a good fisherman is seperated from a fisherman. A good fisherman will figure the bite out and catch fish while a fisherman says its slow and leaves the lake to be called STUPID by the fish lol.. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

amp_1369
08-14-2012, 03:36 PM
All I have to say is to each their own. I will take an 8 - 10 in athabasca rainbow over a pike , walleye or sturgeon anyday.

TheLegend
08-14-2012, 03:39 PM
When a trout outsmarts you one day and you catch him the next, then you will understand. it's the thrill of them biting your hook or fly and keeping them on. it's not in how hard something pulls.

The most incredible catch I have seen was this guy on BBC that made a quest and predicted that when the continents were connected that brown trout would be in the deapest jungles of this certain river in India. almost one year it took him with gov permission, and seeking guides to trek out and fish this river that possibly has never been seen by man. After checking out the local hatch and creating a fly, on his second cast he caught this 8'' brown trout. I have more respect for that catch than any lunker we pull out of our lakes here.

WOW a 8 inch trout would be worth it. Do you have more info on this story? Sounds very interesting!

The NUMBER 1 thing for me (I target trout exclusivley, I dont go after anything else) is the scenery and places you fish in. Fishing flowing water is 5 times better than a lake or pond.

The other thing is the colors of the trout. I absolutely love catching the little jewels in small creeks.

And I just find fishing with a fly rod so much more fun.

Alberta Bigbore
08-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Lol@ 13-15 inch trout is huge....oh tha lord!

NSR Monger
08-14-2012, 03:56 PM
ya, they fight hard for 1 pull then they give up.

well your post is not convincing me to target trout, which means It is a useless post, as far as ur post about pike giving up after one tug, I really have no idea what you are talking about, even a 4lb Pike has lots of fight in him, when you get into bigger pike, its getting them from the bottom of the lake to the boat is when they fight the hardest!!!

Lornce
08-14-2012, 04:05 PM
I personally can't see any reason at all to catch trout (not saying there isn't, I just don't see it)Alberta

You are right please don't go after trout. More for me.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich

"He told us about Christ's disciples being fisherman, and we were left to assume...that all great fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fisherman and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman." Norman Maclean - A River Runs Through It

streamer express
08-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Lol. wow, try battling a 30+ inch brown trout freight train, that will change your mind real f*&%^ing quick.

NSR Monger
08-14-2012, 04:13 PM
ok I'm glad people did not take this as a bash at trout fishers, it was an actual question, which i seem to get the jest of...........

I was not really including lakers which i guess is not fair, but i think you guys knew what i meant by trout.

I was saying a 15inch trout is HUGE cuz by most postings on this site people seem to post pics of their HUGE 15INCH trout.......not because that i personally have tried lots and only caught a 15inch........

I dont see the lb for lb comparison being useful, a goldeye fights very hard for its size, but still nothing like a 15lb pike from wab, and thats because you will never catch a 15lb goldeye!!! and yes i realize some smaller pike barrel roll when reeling them in. And I never said walleye fight lots, I think they give up pretty easy lol

So from the 20 something posts here is what I can conclude........

I should fish for trout because they are more difficult to catch than eyes or pike....

Trout are "nicer" looking as well as the environment you can usually find them in (no arguments there, maligne lake is much nicer then wab lol)

P.S. if i traveled so far and worked so hard for years to catch a 8inch trout, i would be extremely disappointed!

NSR Monger
08-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Lol. wow, try battling a 30+ inch brown trout freight train, that will change your mind real f*&%^ing quick.

ok, where do you recommend I do this??? this thread was an actual question, not a rhetorical one.

Scott N
08-14-2012, 04:17 PM
ok, where do you recommend I do this??? this thread was an actual question, not a rhetorical one.

You'd be surprised what the Bow River produces. Now a 30" brown or rainbow from the Bow would be the exception, but a 25" fish isn't all that uncommon. They put up a great fight on a fly rod in the river.

TheLegend
08-14-2012, 04:20 PM
The North Raven river has honest 30 inchers for those who can stay sane enough through all the fly eating willows and sink to your crotch mud.

NSR Monger
08-14-2012, 04:24 PM

seems that people are saying i need to downsize my gear to feel the fight better, so are you saying if i use a really light rod this is the case?? cuz i have never heard trout referred to as "freight trains"

Clgy_Dave2.0
08-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Time for another battle on the forum, I personally can't see any reason at all to catch trout (not saying there isn't, I just don't see it) but I'd love for someone to try and convince me why they are fun for so many people to catch. They are so damn small!

No offense, but I see many pics and stories of catching these tiny guys, how can it be so fun to catch something that is so damn small?? Even a HUGE trout is like 13-15 inches, not big by any means compared to the other sport fish in Alberta

Yeah, these "little" Rainbow trout are so boring....

Buddy of mine on Kootenay Lake:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_1339.jpg

pipercub17
08-14-2012, 04:28 PM
i fly fish for trout for the challange !
nothing like sight fishing for a big brown on a small creek

Land-her
08-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Bring in bass.

Enough said.

WorldClass
08-14-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure about the rest of the guys on here, but I love fishing trout because you can almost sense where they are in the river/creek/stream when you sneak up on them. Behind that rock, under that riffle, hanging along that seam, and then you toss your presentation just upstream of where you 'feel' the trout is going to be and when it passes through that spot and WHAM fish on... nothing more exciting.

NSR Monger
08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Yeah, these "little" Rainbow trout are so boring....

Buddy of mine on Kootenay Lake:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_1339.jpg

yeah cuz that is really close to edmonton..........and yeah that is the average size of the trout posted on this site.......i never asked "can anyone go find me a picture of a big trout........."

TyreeUM
08-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Time for another battle on the forum, I personally can't see any reason at all to catch trout really close to Edmonton (not saying there isn't, I just don't see it) but I'd love for someone to try and convince me why they are fun for so many people to catch really close to Edmonton. They are so damn small! They are ok to eat but sure as hell no walleye! Can't imagine they fight a whole lot either.........is the only reason people like catching trout really close to Edmonton because they can be more colorful than other sport species in Alberta?? I'm talking about TARGETING trout really close to Edmonton.......

No offense, but I see many pics and stories of catching these tiny guys, how can it be so fun to catch something that is so damn small?? Even a HUGE trout caught really close to Edmonton is like 13-15 inches, not big by any means compared to the other sport fish in Alberta, or trout that are caught further away than 10 minutes from Edmonton

There, I fixed your original post. NOW it makes sense...

streamer express
08-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Quite a few of our southern/central alberta river hold 30+ inch browns and rainbows. maybe not all that common in some systems. Do some homwork, and put your time in on the water and you would be suprised what you might hook into. I agree there is nothing like sight fishing for big browns and raindows. Try swinging a big streamer at night or in the late fall on your favorite brown trout river/stream and you might tie into a " freight train". (If i could figure out how to post pictures i would show you).

Clgy_Dave2.0
08-14-2012, 05:05 PM
yeah cuz that is really close to edmonton..........and yeah that is the average size of the trout posted on this site.......i never asked "can anyone go find me a picture of a big trout........."
Relax...geeze!! It was a light hearted joke.

You don't like fishing trout, dont. Some do, some don't. Stupid thread to begin with. Why ask a question to which you already have your own feelings about?
Are you related to Shawn?

Gah. :rolleye2:

streamer express
08-14-2012, 05:10 PM
We are saying trout get really BIG and are awsome sport fish, Thats what you asked isnt it "Why trout??".

kissarmygeneral
08-14-2012, 05:19 PM
NSR you sure like trolling for arguments on this forum. Personally i target trout because I live in Calgary. If I lived in Edmonton i'd likely be hitting Wab or the NSR for Walleyes, Mooneye and Pike. I don't think there is anything more exciting than surface fishing during hopper season for big bows/browns and cut ties.

Darren N
08-14-2012, 05:30 PM
ok I'm glad people did not take this as a bash at trout fishers, it was an actual question, which i seem to get the jest of...........

I was not really including lakers which i guess is not fair, but i think you guys knew what i meant by trout.

I was saying a 15inch trout is HUGE cuz by most postings on this site people seem to post pics of their HUGE 15INCH trout.......not because that i personally have tried lots and only caught a 15inch........

I dont see the lb for lb comparison being useful, a goldeye fights very hard for its size, but still nothing like a 15lb pike from wab, and thats because you will never catch a 15lb goldeye!!! and yes i realize some smaller pike barrel roll when reeling them in. And I never said walleye fight lots, I think they give up pretty easy lol

So from the 20 something posts here is what I can conclude........

I should fish for trout because they are more difficult to catch than eyes or pike....

Trout are "nicer" looking as well as the environment you can usually find them in (no arguments there, maligne lake is much nicer then wab lol)

P.S. if i traveled so far and worked so hard for years to catch a 8inch trout, i would be extremely disappointed!

If I happen to google and find the documentary I'll let you know. i don't think you would be dissapointed as the commercials were entertaining.

JohninAB
08-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Bring in bass.

Enough said.

X100

Nothing compares to a bass for all out fight lb for lb.

I will take a 25 lb plus pike hitting a top water over a trout on a fly anyday. If we had muskies and bass here I would gladly donate money to supply trout fishermen with flies and rods to keep the muskies and bass for myself! Lol

Shawnlh
08-14-2012, 06:12 PM
I fish for all species, sturg, walleye, sauger, trout, burbot, perch, goldeye, mooneye, pike if I have to, and so on. If it lives in southern Alberta waters, I have fished for it.

I really don't mind heading down to the SSR and seeing what I can bring in cause it's 2 minutes from my house. And chasing jumbo perch is always a hoot as they taste great and the lake is not too far from home.
But, if I travel to fish, it's for trout. Nothing, and I mean Nothing beats fly fishing. The learning, the science/know how as to what bugs are out, what the fish are feeding on, where the fish are hiding, the technique of learning to cast etc. etc., always something to learn and improve upon. As far as trout size, I've landed a dozen over 25" this year, either on a fly rod, or ultralight spinning gear. I guess it depends where you fish.

I'm not prejudiced either, I was pike fishing yesterday, but they come in like a log. Sometimes I can't tell if it's weeds or a fish. And really no skill/technique to fishing with spinning gear. Pick a lure, chuck it, retrieve it. Maybe a twitch here or there, but nothing complicated about it at all. Even worse if you are bait fishing, hardest part is putting bait on the hook, woopdeedoo. Sure it's still fun when a fish is on, but like I said, nothing beats fly fishing in my books. You could fly fish for other species as well. I'd really like to target walleye on the fly some day. But tying on a #20 and catching a fish on it is pretty cool.

Try it once......or twice.

pelada trochu
08-14-2012, 06:17 PM
I was trying braid couple years back and caught a 36" pike she pulled so hard and so tight. Then she dove for the bottom and ripped through the cabbage the braid sounded like piano wire ping ping ping as it ripped through cutting the weeds. Best fight ive had second to landing a 35" last week on 6lb fluoro on my 500 series spinner. Attached leaderless to a twister tail on a perch hook. the really big girls are old grandmas and they usually come up like logs.

But i can sure understand the scenery and connection to nature the flyboys have. Have to give it a try sometime but dont know how. Anyone willing to show me how?

bigdaddy37
08-14-2012, 06:25 PM
For me, trout fishing is different that pike/walley fishing.

Trout fishing is as much about the journey as it is about the catching.

Hiking into the eastslopes to fish a gin-clear stream with my 3wt and coax a trout out from an undercut bank or fallen tree to take a #20 dry I tied myself is a rush. It's about the the research/planning before hand, tying the flies, watching the pool after I get there to see what's up and matching the hatch, laying the perfect cast and drift all for that instant the water boils with the take. Follow that with the sizzle of the reel as the line is pulled out as I try to keep balance standing thigh deep in the stream and land the thing...all the while I'm in a place that few go and I am alone with my thoughts and can go days without seeing a soul.

I enjoy pike/walley fishing too, but it's not the same type of experience.

BeeGuy
08-14-2012, 07:07 PM
I like fishing.

Spent last night on lower arrow pulling in 12-14" pea mouth chub (I think) and huge long nose suckers (I think).

Perfect night.

TyreeUM
08-14-2012, 07:40 PM
trout are so stupid. Throw on anything that remotely looks like nothing but has something resembling a hook attached to it and you can catch them as long as it comes within 4 feet of their face...oh wait thats a pike...
Speaking of pike, I caught a 40 pound one last night on my offshore tuna setup...stupid thing didn't fight worth @#$%@...what were we talking about again?

ReconWilly
08-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Monger FAILS again....Whomp whommmmp womp.

Am i the only one who's thankful that he feels the way he does?

Could you imagine him ruining your favorite holes?

Theres no urgency to change his mind from where i stand.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

streamer express
08-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Well said bigdaddy37!

FishingMOM
08-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Bring in bass.

Enough said.

I wonder how many trouty boys would be open to bass and catfish and such if they knew the fun of it.
Most never will. Most only have trout on their brains.

Its the Alberta attitude that only trout will do.

I can recall many summer nights spent catfishing.
The long fight to bring in a monster.
Anyone who has traveled in the southern part of the US has probably had fried catfish (not for me) and would order it again.

I miss the fights, even the tiny cats and bass would put up.
Bass are a smart fish, there are a variety of methods of targeting them. At the end of the day they fight like crazy and will challenge you too.

But alas alberta trouty boys think that trout are the be all and end all and nothing anyone else says will convince them otherwise.

greylynx
08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
I wonder how many trouty boys would be open to bass and catfish and such if they knew the fun of it.

Anyone who has traveled in the southern part of the US has probably had fried catfish (not for me) and would order it again.

Bass are a smart fish, there are a variety of methods of targeting them. At the end of the day they fight like crazy and will challenge you too.

But alas alberta trouty boys think that trout are the be all and end all and nothing anyone else says will convince them otherwise.

God Bless Alberta History.

There are trout, and then there are those coarse fish.

Trout are for gentlemen. Coarse fish are for others.

I like it that way.

hal53
08-14-2012, 08:10 PM

with your vast knowledge about fishing, I guess you have never hooked up a 28" brown on a #20 fly with a 2# tippet?....go ahead and haul in your 6 # Bass with your 20# test line....sure sounds like fun....

keeks
08-14-2012, 08:13 PM

This could qualify as the most useless post of the year. Where are you gonna send the Alberta Trouty Boys for Cats and Bass? You should just shhhhhhh, and go back where you came from.

0liver
08-14-2012, 08:15 PM
NSR Monger you are comparing apples to oranges. Fly fishing is alot more skill based imo with the casting/knowing the hatch and so on. It not about how huge the fish is. That being said there are some massive trout in alberta, try tying into a 28'' bull trout on a 5wt rod. you will probably fail miserably at bringing it in.

trolling for lunker eyes and big pike is knowing the lake and knowing structure/depth while also timing bait fish runs/feeding cycles etc etc.

to each there own. One could arugue catching a 10lb+ walleye in alberta is more of a challenge then hunting a 25''+ brown. Dead wrong. Both are equally challenging and require vastly different skill sets.

Heres another type of example, consider the following;

A)Sure you can tie on an orange stimmie and pull in 20-30 nice cuts on a good day.

B)Sure you can anchor down on some nice structure and pull in 50+ decent walleye on a good day

A)But to be able to figure out that particular fly is producing and then finding what pools/runs/riffles/chutes the fish are holding in, all the while being able to present it properly to the trout takes its own type of skill.

B)But being able to find that spot, at the right time of day..while also knowing what lure and/or bait to use, and how to present that lure/bait also requires its own type of skill.

When all is said and done its apples and oranges. the two can't be compared.

My 2 cents
Oliver

streamer express
08-14-2012, 08:26 PM
I make 3 trips a year into BC to catch big largemouth and smallmouth bass on the fly and have for easily 10 years. I love catchin Bass,and pike, they are a close second to trout, but growing up in southern alberta I just love our trout.

Dale S
08-14-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm not much for trout fishing,but when I saw the thread called Price of Gold Rising,I can see why people love fishing for trout.

pickrel pat
08-14-2012, 08:36 PM

x2 getting to be a regular occurence.....

MoFugger21
08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Lol @ comparing the fight of a mid-teen lb pike with a 15" trout. Next time you catch a 15" pike, let me know what kind of fight it puts up and how it compares to the fight of a 15" cutthroat or rainbow....

WayneChristie
08-14-2012, 09:18 PM
I like fishing.

Spent last night on lower arrow pulling in 12-14" pea mouth chub (I think) and huge long nose suckers (I think).

Perfect night.

:sHa_shakeshout:

TyreeUM
08-14-2012, 09:44 PM

I bet it was ounces away from a world record!

Some people like fishing were you can drive up to the shoreline, only have to cast your rod once, and sit and eat chips for hours waiting to catch a fish.

Other people like to spend an entire day hiking along a stream exploring areas that aren't covered in forked sticks and old minnow tubs. The downside to this type of fishing is it requires you to actually get some exercise...

That being said, I do like bass fishing...

KegRiver
08-14-2012, 09:58 PM
I've fished for about every species one can catch in Alberta.

I've caught my share of Rainbow and Cutthroat plus a few Browns and a Dolly or two.

Can't say that I was impressed. Give me a Jack or a Walleye any day.
Or for a good tussle, a Goldeye will do any day.

If one wants a challenge, a chub can defeat the best. Mind you they taste like dirt.

For my money, Jack and Walleye are the best
Anyone who thinks a Jack doesn't put up a fight, hasn't hooked one of our Northern Jack.
I have caught plenty down south and down there they don't put up a fight.
Up here they can fight as good as any fish.

338Bluff
08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Walleye are not great eating (good but not great). Usually too soft for my liking. Pike and Perch are pretty much the best short of halibut with perch getting the nod over pike. Trout taste like the bottom of a slough, even in the winter.

Sizeable pike are the most sporting fish on medium tackle IMO.

Stally77
08-14-2012, 10:19 PM
I guess it all depends on your tackle. We all could use a super light weight rod with 4 pound test line. A wrestle with a 15" fish of any kind. To make it feel like a good fight. But in the end are we not supposed to bring the fish in as quickly as possible in an attempt to reduce stress on the fish? That is if we are actually gonna keep it to eat. Can't see a 15" fish really to be a worth while meal. JMO!:scared0018:

justinO
08-14-2012, 10:40 PM
NSR Monger you are comparing apples to oranges. Fly fishing is alot more skill based imo with the casting/knowing the hatch and so on. It not about how huge the fish is. That being said there are some massive trout in alberta, try tying into a 28'' bull trout on a 5wt rod. you will probably fail miserably at bringing it in.

trolling for lunker eyes and big pike is knowing the lake and knowing structure/depth while also timing bait fish runs/feeding cycles etc etc.

to each there own. One could arugue catching a 10lb+ walleye in alberta is more of a challenge then hunting a 25''+ brown. Dead wrong. Both are equally challenging and require vastly different skill sets.

Heres another type of example, consider the following;

A)Sure you can tie on an orange stimmie and pull in 20-30 nice cuts on a good day.

B)Sure you can anchor down on some nice structure and pull in 50+ decent walleye on a good day

A)But to be able to figure out that particular fly is producing and then finding what pools/runs/riffles/chutes the fish are holding in, all the while being able to present it properly to the trout takes its own type of skill.

B)But being able to find that spot, at the right time of day..while also knowing what lure and/or bait to use, and how to present that lure/bait also requires its own type of skill.

When all is said and done its apples and oranges. the two can't be compared.

My 2 cents
Oliver

Well said

Saltmania
08-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Even a HUGE trout is like 13-15 inches, not big by any means compared to the other sport fish in Alberta

13-15 inches is huge? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I suppose if you've never spend a day hammering 18-22" rainbows that fight like psychotic fiends you wouldn't understand. I feel sorry for you.

Let's see...

They're beautiful, sleek, fast, and agile.
Rainbows have the best fight pound for pound of any fish I've targeted.
They are often delicious.
They are easy to clean.
They don't stink nearly as bad as many other species.
They can be challenging to target depending on water body, time of year, etc.
They jump all over making the scenery that much more beautiful.
Their diet lends well to targeting them on flies.

I don't really understand your rant, but then again I enjoy catching whitefish, walleye, pike, and perch too. They all have their own unique allures and challenges.

acedave3
08-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Try a 23lb Rainbow on Kootaney Lake!

I rest my case.

FishingMOM
08-15-2012, 06:22 AM
I bet it was ounces away from a world record!

Some people like fishing were you can drive up to the shoreline, only have to cast your rod once, and sit and eat chips for hours waiting to catch a fish.

Other people like to spend an entire day hiking along a stream exploring areas that aren't covered in forked sticks and old minnow tubs. The downside to this type of fishing is it requires you to actually get some exercise...

That being said, I do like bass fishing...

Its only adults who give a rats behind about records.
When kids fish they fish because it is fun. you give your fish a quick weigh (only hoping to beat your own personal best) and let it go or throw it in the bucket to keep for laters. Unlike alberta where everything MUST die to keep it, we did our best to keep stuff alive until it hit the cleaning table to ensure fresh fish.

The only time I ever bothered to get weights recorded was for derbies. Then and only then was the weight of fish important.

Not everyone wants to hike hours to get to fish. Some people do like driving up near shore and then relaxing while they fish.

Personally I hate hiking, always have. I rather swim any day!

Insinuating that fishermen who hike to way off pools of water are superior is an insult to fishermen who fish different methods - especially those who aren't into chasing the trout.

Some would rather jump in a boat and go fish their fish. Does that make them an inferior fishermen? I think not.

In most cases the trouty boys know no different and figure the be all and end all is trout. Reality is there are so many different types of fish, fishing styles out there that work.

The only great lake I haven't fished is Huron.
I have fished lakes, ponds and streams.
I have fished the shores of Hawaii.

I have fished for everything from smelt to shark and much in between. The only fishermen I have ever found with an elitist attitude has been trout fishermen. Apparently their @#$% doesn't stink.

I have fished with young and old alike. I have subsistence fished most of my life. While some species I have caught were automatically released (bass, catfish, suckers, carp and the likes)
Perch, Walleye, Salmon, Crappie, sunfish were kept for food.
As a young adult I provided fresh fish to seniors who lived in the same condo complex along the river. The joy of being able to knock on a neighbours door and provide them with a meal of fresh fish - something they wouldn't have otherwise.

Alberta is too busy stocking fish that won't survive in many bodies of water they put them in. Creating ponds and trying to sustain life by spending but at what cost?

The five species of game fish that have been introduced to Alberta are (eastern) brook trout, brown trout, golden trout, smallmouth bass and Dolly Varden (different from our native bull trout, which people used to call Dolly Varden). Most were introduced in the early to mid part of the 20th century either as experiments by fisheries managers or by individuals acting on their own initiative.

Rainbow trout are mostly introduced; the only native populations of rainbow trout exist in the Athabasca River and drainage. The brook, brown, golden and rainbow trout have become integral components of the game fish fauna of Alberta, while the other two introduced species have not. The Dolly Varden occur only in Chester Lake near Canmore and smallmouth bass may still exist in Island Lake, north of the town of Smoky Lake.

Each year, about four million fry and fingerlings from different species of sport fish are raised and stocked in reservoirs, lakes, and constructed ponds which cannot support a native fish population.

quote source - http://tinyurl.com/cy6wp8l

Private Ear
08-15-2012, 06:57 AM
You fish for Walleye, and I'll fish for trout. Good times for all, and all for perfectly good reasons!

hk

Great attitude. Well said.

Darren N
08-15-2012, 08:16 AM
In response I as well have fished from NWT north and all the way south to the Florida keys. I have caught my fair share of pike, walleye, perch, yes bass, and even sturgeon... I still fish for the above fish periodically but prefer when the opportunity arrises to fish trout off a fly. My opinion for myself, and maybe most fly fisher people is we have done both so how could our opinion by biast?

The question was asked - maybe knowing it would cause a rise out of people - is why? I felt we have answered. It's not easy on this forum to give an opinion without being classiffied as arogant.

Bottom line we have done both styles, we may prefer fly fishing for what it offers. Until you try both how can you say which is better?

I have eaten both apples and oranges, I like oranges better.

nekred
08-15-2012, 08:19 AM
I like to fish for trout brcause of where they live....

I am not talking the pothole stocked alberta scum ponds.... I am talking clear cold rivers and lakes and the scenery.

Just got back froma week long fishing/camping trip and watching my 9 year old catch and reel in a 5 lb Kamloops Trout on a 4/5 weight fly that took him into his backing every time the fish saw the boat until the final time was incredibly awesome... What i think hooked him most however was the one that got away which was well over 5 lbs probably 7 or 8 lbs, lost him right at the boat because he was not quite done fighting after 3 long runs and a small bit of slack in line let him spit the hook.

He is an avid little pike fisherman but i think that experience spoiled him for life and now all he can talk about is fly fishing. He is in the back yard now practicing fly casting every day.

We caught our limit every night and ate them when we were on holidays until the final evening when we caught and released 22 Kaloops trout between 2 and 5 lbs. As fast as I could fry them in the pan in butter and seasoning and take them out and peel the meat off of the bones I had four little boys gobbling them up and i barely was able to get a taste..... Gawd I miss BC.

All types of fishing is fun for its own reasons and being able to have the variety we have is a fortunate privelege and I will never bash another style of fishing if it is within the law.

Fishnafterwork
08-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Ignorance is bliss....?

Okotokian
08-15-2012, 08:29 AM
We are arguing about which is the best fish? c'mon guys and girls... it's a totally subjective issue... it's your opinion and preference. You like jack the best? Wonderful. Good for you. Not a thing wrong with that. Would be pretty crowded if we were all going for the same species.

My only concern is folks who want to introduce new non-native species. I don't want to play with that fire. we already have enough trouble with bucket biologists. You want bass? Go on a little road trip for your next vacation. They aren't far. And yes, I know all the fish here weren't originally native. But they're here now. What we have now is fine.

EZM
08-15-2012, 08:35 AM
TyreeUM ........... what's wrong with eating chips while fishing? lol. That was my favorite rant ....... thanks for a chuckle ........... a perfect picture was created in my head which illustrated your point "spot on".

I just pictured one of our "newbie" buddys casting a spoon in, letting it sink to the bottom, and begin stuffing his head with a giant bag of chips as we quietly exchanged glances and chuckled. A few minutes later a Pike hit his spoon that was dragging on the bottom as we drifted ........ lol ........ chips ........... freaking love it!!!!

I wonder if that would work for a trout?

Okotokian
08-15-2012, 08:40 AM
I wonder if that would work for a trout?

I chum with Old Dutch.... :sHa_shakeshout::scared0018:

NSR Monger
08-15-2012, 08:51 AM
There, I fixed your original post. NOW it makes sense...

hahahaha nice

pophouseman
08-15-2012, 09:05 AM
I like to catch trout because pike slime is so Icky and walleye spines hurt my hands (which I bathe in ivory liquid) :bad_boys_20:

Flyrod1970
08-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Just out of curiousity, what would it take to change your mind? Just to clarify the myriad of posts already, we have established that trout fight much harder than pike or walleye, are found in more desirable locations, and are often times more challenging to catch. I should state that I love to flyfish for pike and I don't find them to be stupid, just aggressive, which makes them fun as heck to catch on the fly. Having said this tho, a 3.5 pound trout (rainbow or brown) fights just as hard if not harder than a 10 pound pike!

Stally77
08-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Just out of curiousity, what would it take to change your mind? Just to clarify the myriad of posts already, we have established that trout fight much harder than pike or walleye, are found in more desirable locations, and are often times more challenging to catch. I should state that I love to flyfish for pike and I don't find them to be stupid, just aggressive, which makes them fun as heck to catch on the fly. Having said this tho, a 3.5 pound trout (rainbow or brown) fights just as hard if not harder than a 10 pound pike!

Only because you use super light tackle! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

tacklerunner
08-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Even a little girl can pull in a 15 lb trout. ;););) Here's a small part of the procedure. AND YES this is an average sized fish but it's way, way, way too far from Edmonton for Monger.
Edit: it's a video btw. just click on it. and it weighed out at 15 lbs.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/th_10150951896019468_26508.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/?action=view&current=10150951896019468_26508.mp4)

Penner
08-15-2012, 10:05 AM
They are so damn small! They are ok to eat but sure as hell no walleye! Can't imagine they fight a whole lot either.........is the only reason people like catching trout because they can be more colorful than other sport species in Alberta?? I'm talking about TARGETING trout.......

You are likely very young or very inexperienced when it comes to fishing.

Each species offers its own uniqueness. Trout are far superior battlers as compared to warmer water specimens and many will argue far better table fair. I suggest you get out and try targeting trout outside of a stocked trout pothole. You’ll surprise yourself.

TyreeUM
08-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Alberta is too busy stocking fish that won't survive in many bodies of water they put them in. Creating ponds and trying to sustain life by spending but at what cost?

The cost is having to read your posts and replys...so the cost is great, I see your point. (haha j/k)

I like chips by the way - jalapeno usually, but I like to mix it up everyonce and a while...much like I mix up the species of fish I target. Most walleye fisherman I know don't like trout fishing because they have never targeted them or when they did, had no clue what they were doing. Trout fishing can be like crack, and I have pushed this drug on more than a couple walleye fisherman with great success....

NSR Monger
08-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Relax...geeze!! It was a light hearted joke.

You don't like fishing trout, dont. Some do, some don't. Stupid thread to begin with. Why ask a question to which you already have your own feelings about?
Are you related to Shawn?

Gah. :rolleye2:

I said I personally dont like it, but mayb I can, mayb i'm looking at it wrong, this was not a stupid thread, it was a good discussion/argument! Some people have shared why they enjoy trout fishing so much and I agree with some of their points, I am more open to trout fishing than I was 2 days ago......

NSR Monger
08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
NSR you sure like trolling for arguments on this forum. Personally i target trout because I live in Calgary. If I lived in Edmonton i'd likely be hitting Wab or the NSR for Walleyes, Mooneye and Pike. I don't think there is anything more exciting than surface fishing during hopper season for big bows/browns and cut ties.

lol well said. I like trolling the forum or wab, both are fun hahahah

NSR Monger
08-15-2012, 10:27 AM
trout are so stupid. Throw on anything that remotely looks like nothing but has something resembling a hook attached to it and you can catch them as long as it comes within 4 feet of their face...oh wait thats a pike...
Speaking of pike, I caught a 40 pound one last night on my offshore tuna setup...stupid thing didn't fight worth @#$%@...what were we talking about again?

yeah i bet you are right, that 2lb trout fights harder then this magical 40lb pike you caught last night.......are you in the NWT?

NSR Monger
08-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Am i the only one who's thankful that he feels the way he does?

Could you imagine him ruining your favorite holes?

Theres no urgency to change his mind from where i stand.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I asked people why they like trout fishing so much and I fail??? wonder if you have such a big mouth face to face

NSR Monger
08-15-2012, 10:34 AM
OK i'm done with this, It was a simple discussion I wanted to start........I'm glad that a few of you can have a mature argument, where as most of you just take offense so quickly, Rekon willy and pickrel pat, you guys are complete tools, i hope i get to meet you super cool fishing experts some day

Geezle
08-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I asked people why they like trout fishing so much and I fail??? wonder if you have such a big mouth face to face

Rekon willy and pickrel pat, you guys are complete tools, i hope i get to meet you super cool fishing experts some day

Quoted for posterity.

Way to show your true colors again...

Dak1138
08-15-2012, 12:36 PM
OK i'm done with this, It was a simple discussion I wanted to start........I'm glad that a few of you can have a mature argument, where as most of you just take offense so quickly, Rekon willy and pickrel pat, you guys are complete tools, i hope i get to meet you super cool fishing experts some day

considering how you normally treat people on here i am surprised you had so many "mature" and respectfull answers. Do us all a favor and think twice before you post a comment. most of us appreciate reading mature and respectfull comments ourselves.

kissarmygeneral
08-15-2012, 03:33 PM
considering how you normally treat people on here i am surprised you had so many "mature" and respectfull answers. Do us all a favor and think twice before you post a comment. most of us appreciate reading mature and respectfull comments ourselves.

x1 000 000 000

huntsfurfish
08-15-2012, 03:50 PM
If your not a multi species angler, your missin out!:snapoutofit:

They are all fun to fish for!:sHa_shakeshout:

ReconWilly
08-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Are you asking me out?

The last date i took fishing had a great time, and she got to experience my big mouth first hand!!

Your not my type, you come across as if you have a vagina, but i've seen pics of you and they were not nearly enough to convince me that you do.:love0025:

TyreeUM
08-15-2012, 05:01 PM
I like turtles!

pike_king780
08-15-2012, 05:39 PM
If your not a multi species angler, your missin out!:snapoutofit:

They are all fun to fish for!:sHa_shakeshout:

Now THIS is the perfect answer!

Clgy_Dave2.0
08-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Which one is You?:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-awSKL0TDI0g/T7pqR7IL4lI/AAAAAAAAAEo/xJYj2iQSCe0/s1600/ethug.jpg

It was a simple discussion I wanted to start.......No wasn't...you got exactly what you were hoping for:
Time for another battle on the forum,

OK i'm done with this,
Promise?