PDA

View Full Version : The Panther

Daceminnow
08-15-2012, 12:05 AM
my dad is going into the panther on a wagon pack trip at the end of the week. he'd like to do some fishing along the way and gave me a call regarding advise on the waters he will be visiting. good call on most days, but unfortunatly i've never fished any of the waters they plan to visit. i said i'd do what i could to find out something for him before he hitches up the team and heads in. they plan to fish the panther river in along the way, as well as the dormer. they will be going into ice and dormer lakes as well. if anyone is famililar with the area and willing to share any info on fishing these waters mentioned, i'd love to help the old bull out a little further. thanks.

Dace

BobLoblaw
08-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Can't help with any info, but I can bump this to the top; hopefully, somebody will see your post & be able to help you out...:)

WayneChristie
08-15-2012, 07:27 AM
been a long long time, but I do remember a lot of fish, we even caught trout on pieces of orange peel. usual suspects for trout should work, assortment of flies and spinners. I remember the horses being scattered far and wide one morning, hobbles or no, due to a grizzly that passed fairly close by upwind. beautiful country in there

tacklerunner
08-15-2012, 09:21 AM
been a long long time, but I do remember a lot of fish, we even caught trout on pieces of orange peel. usual suspects for trout should work, assortment of flies and spinners. I remember the horses being scattered far and wide one morning, hobbles or no, due to a grizzly that passed fairly close by upwind. beautiful country in there

I think panther martins would work the best.:scared0018:

WorldClass
08-15-2012, 09:38 AM
I think panther martins would work the best.:scared0018:

see what he did there?

canamdon
08-15-2012, 10:32 AM
He WILL have great fun. I have fished the area for many years. The horse trip is amazing.

Th Panther River itself is entirely catch and release, even if the oil spill south on the Red Deer didn't happen, and has lots of great Bull Trout, small to medium Whites, some Brookies, some Cutts. ANYTHING works from dry and wet flies to small sinners and rainbow rapalas. Same will go for feeder streams.

Dormer he'll do fine if all he has are spinners.

Jealous! He must take a camera :)

canamdon
08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
couple pics from last Panther trip!

WayneChristie
08-15-2012, 02:25 PM
couple pics from last Panther trip!

man that brings back some memories. I caught a fish right off the rock jutting out in the center and jumped off to land it, didnt realize the water was quite that deep

Scottmisfits
08-15-2012, 02:56 PM
That water looks cold and clear.

Daceminnow
08-15-2012, 11:21 PM
ANYTHING works from dry and wet flies to small sinners and rainbow rapalas.

Jealous! He must take a camera :)

thanks for the replies on the rivers guys. ANYTHING works doesn't sound too bad. he'll like to hear that. and yes he'll have a camera. always lots of pictures from the pack trips.

no one fished dormer or ice lakes? cuttys? i had a quick browse through the last few years stocking reports and didn't see either listed.

Dace

Steven Noel
08-15-2012, 11:24 PM
I fished it briefly once and managed to pull out a nice Bull Trout of the first pool. I was alot younger at the time and crossing wasn't a realistic option so we didn't go beyond the first set of high banks. I've always wanted to go back sometime.

ramshorn
08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
i am not sure about the fishing but just a thought on the trail. i was in forbidden creek area a week ago and the trails in the area are completely washed out horrible traveling with a horse. your dad may want to check with people in the area and see how the trails are they may be washed out also as all the quad trails in the ram got washed out this year as well and most are still closed. so going in with a wagon may not be doable.

WayneChristie
08-16-2012, 12:32 PM
All I saw and caught in Dormer was chubbs, at least I think they were chubs, certainly werent trout of any type. caught them on rubber salmon eggs.

Daceminnow
08-28-2012, 05:18 PM
thought i'd share a couple of pics courtesy of Pops from the trip. report back was lots of bullies from the panther and lots of good eating brookies from dormer. thanks again to the guys for the input/information shared prior to the boys going out.

Dace

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_4091.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_4217.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_4230.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_4130.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_4146.jpg

stein
08-28-2012, 05:55 PM
nice pics, we heard the wagon trail was pretty gnarly this year.

WayneChristie
08-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Great pics, that would be a nice vacation for sure. the couple times I went the group went in just on horseback, still have lots of fond memories, especially the wranglers having to round up the horses when a grizzley passed a mile upwind. didnt know they could go so far so fast with hobbles on :bad_boys_20: