PDA

View Full Version : Bullshead Reservoir

falco
04-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Does anyone know if the ice is off there yet?

MuleyMonster
04-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Would assume that it is. Was out on the 12th and the edges were just breaking up and we had some warms days after that. Fishing was good through the ice with about 30-40 per day. Most were in the 16-19 inch range with a few over 20. We fished the morning until 10 and caught around 40 between me and fishing partner and had 12 over 20 but did not keep any.

Heading out this weekend and hoping the fishing is a little better. Most people have been waiting for the water to be open for fly fishing so the most I have seem since it opened was probably 20 on the ice. Last year on the 1st there was over 25 vehicle in the parking lot by 7am. Will be interesting how this weather affects the fishing. Good luck if you are heading out and will probably see you there.

Lethalconnection
04-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Muley me and a few others are doing a weekend trip out there this weekend(Thurs-Sun) so im sure i will see you out there. Heard the pond is pretty well ice free, boat launch is ice free and the rest of the lake the edges are all melted away, enough to cast some flies out.

MuleyMonster
04-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Neighbour was out today before and braved the winds for a few hours. Lake has new ice on it but still able to cast flies from the shore. Fish were only about 15 feet from shore and he said if you casted on ice and retreived it back they would hit as the fly was dropping under the ice. When the wind picked up the fish were only about 5-6 feet from shore and he caught larger ones. Fished from 11-3 and caught about 40 with at least 6 over the 20 inch minimum. Will be hitting the lake on Saturday and Sunday as long as the wife says its ok;)

Lethalconnection
04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Well if the wife lets you go ill see you out there:lol:

MuleyMonster
04-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Made it out today with my neighbour. Was only able to go till noon so it was an early start. Bad idea as there was 1/2 inch ice covering entire lake at 7am. Only open water was where the ducks/geese/pelicans/swans decided to stay for the night. Had to chase off the birds and then fishing was slow at best. Caught 12 fish (1 myself) but I did catch a grebe that was not scared to swim by my line and then get hooked in the leg. Thank God it was a small grebe as I had to hang on to it to remove the hook. Here are pictures of the biggest fish we caught and released. Good size female about 22 inches and around 5-6 pounds.

falco
04-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Made it out today with my neighbour. Was only able to go till noon so it was an early start. Bad idea as there was 1/2 inch ice covering entire lake at 7am. Only open water was where the ducks/geese/pelicans/swans decided to stay for the night. Had to chase off the birds and then fishing was slow at best. Caught 12 fish (1 myself) but I did catch a grebe that was not scared to swim by my line and then get hooked in the leg. Thank God it was a small grebe as I had to hang on to it to remove the hook. Here are pictures of the biggest fish we caught and released. Good size female about 22 inches and around 5-6 pounds.

Does this mean that all the winter ice is gone and that the only ice that was there was fresh ice?

goldscud
04-27-2008, 06:24 AM
Yes, it had a small re-freeze

Buckwheat
04-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Sounds like an great res. Are there any boat/motor restrictions on it?

Thanks

goldscud
04-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Electric motors only. Delayed harvest regs

falco
04-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Any reports from the weekend?

Lethalconnection
04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
About to make my post right now