PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with pontoon boats

CrowsnestGuy
04-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Decided to take the plunge this year and bought a Outcast Pontoon Discovery 8IR. Also bought a trolling motor for it. Question is what is everyone using for a battery if you use a trolling motor? I have a deep cycle but it weighs in at 40 pounds?

TIA
Richard

gobblerguy
04-21-2008, 11:22 PM
You can get an aluminum bracket for the back of the boat, I think it is made by orvis or scotty's, it will hold your 40lb battery and give you a place to hang your motor. Then you just move your pontoons up the frame to get her floating level with you in it. You also will need the arm extension made by scotty's so you don;t have to reach behind you all the time to get at your motor. The extra weight is really good if you fish in the wind.

CrowsnestGuy
04-23-2008, 06:36 AM
My new boat came with the motor mount and all........ http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/boatpage.cfm?boatid=20
I am just wondering if everyone else uses the large deep cycle battery for there pontoon, or is there a smaller and lighter alternate that would work the same.

Big Red 250
04-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Lawn tractor battery??

skykomish sunrise
04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
got to go with the deep cycle....normal batteries wont work. You can buy smaller ones with less amp hrs but then you get less hours of motoring around the lake. Chech out the optima deep cycles...well worth the money