PDA

View Full Version : IS there a lake without blue/green around?

CatchAFish
08-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

New here. We just bought our first boat, and we're looking for a nice lake to fish and camp. We would like somewhere within 1 to 1 & 1/2hrs drive from Edmonton, without the alge problem and is not too busy (not really interested in Pigeon, Wizard, Gull, or Wabamun). Does such a lake exists? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Dr. Gonzo
08-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Well, aside from any algae problems, some of the lakes you mention are awefully crowded and see quite a bit of pressure from the city. If you're like me and enjoy seeing trees and wildlife more than houses and jetskis maybe shift gears and check out the Athabasca region or maybe a little north of Boyle where there are quite a few descent " relaxation lakes". For family camping and a little bit of fishing within an hour and a half-ish of the city maybe give Long Lake Provincial park or North Buck lake a try. Best of luck.

Dr. Gonzo
08-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Lawrence lake north west of Athabasca is particularly great for keeping the kids interested because the little Pike will take anything you throw at them and you can barely keep them off.

Ronbill
08-16-2012, 02:57 PM
All lakes contain blue-green algae - to an extent - but not all bloom severely like the nutrient-rich lakes do.
There are plenty of good lakes in the Whitecourt, Bonnyville, Athabasca, and Lac La Biche Regions (and even east of Edmonton), but you may have to drive 2 hours+ to get to them. E.g. Ethel, Marie, Minnie, Fawcett, Fishing, Fork, Frog, Goose, Wolf, Tucker, Island, McLeod, Smoke, etc.

By the way, Long Lake Prov Park gets green.

prodogg02
08-16-2012, 03:01 PM
try fawcett lake its about 2hrs from edm get a little green but not blue/green algee ..

Dr. Gonzo
08-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Well they all get some growth at the end of summe. Just a few get the dreaded "deadly" blue algae that's making the news. x2 on Wolf or any of the north of Bonnyville area lakes, eagles, bears and all kinds of critters. I find the provincal park lakes to be the most well maintained, followed by provincial rec areas. I dont know about you guys but I find the ones that are administered by a municipality or whatever seem to be hit and miss but I guess that's kind of a no brainer.

NSRfishing
08-16-2012, 07:30 PM
long island lake provincial park just north westlock small pike and perch not very busy should be clear lots of great trails if you have atv