PDA

View Full Version : Superfly 99 dollar combo at Walmart

the5chord
08-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Hey, I am up in fort mac and wanted to get into fly fishing. The only rod for sale around here is the superfly http://www.walmart.com/ip/Superfly-6-6-Rod-4-5-Weight-Bream-and-Panfish-Combo/17134332 rod and reel combo at walmart. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I just order something online?

pike_king780
08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Idont know to much about fly fishing but 6'6" seems a little short to me. If I were you I'd order something on amazon or somethinbg. I picked upo a beginner 9' pflueger flyrod and reel for cheap and it is a great rod for a beginner! Just my 2 cents

dwedmon
08-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I'd go online. That seems like a really odd length for a rod of that weight.

npauls
08-16-2012, 04:09 PM
I think it is suppose to say 8'6" for the rod length. I have seen a similar combo in the Walmart down here and it was an 8'6" combo.

If you can order online and have the patience to wait for it to be shipped to you then I would hold off and try to find something better. If you can't hold off though you should be able to get away with using that one for the first year or 2 of learning and then upgrade from there. The main thing I would be replacing is the line if you do get that combo.

Jayhad
08-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Call Fish Tales in Calgary and ask them to ship you a combo

TheLegend
08-16-2012, 06:26 PM
yep dont buy that crap

the5chord
08-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Yeah I think the length is definitely longer then quoted. It was around 9 feet. I was mainly interested in the reputation of the package. There are different lengths and weights available so that is not a problem.

Tried to go to the fish tales web site. Looks like no ordering from them online. Was thinking of possibly ordering the Cabelas three forks rod and reel if it is noticibly different. However I am jus starting out so I would like to stay cheap but adequate for learning the sport and pick something up more expensive later. I would probably attempt to catch some arctic grayling and possibly some trout.

WorldClass
08-16-2012, 06:55 PM
I got a 9' 6wt off ebay from caddis creek to learn on. I think action is more important then the name. Look for a medium action which is easy to load and fairly forgiving for novice flyfisherman like myself. Or so I've read online anyways. Replace the line for sure, and you might also want to consider replacing the reel as well.

Start working on your knot tying too. any fish on the fly is 10x more fun then on spinning gear. I can feel the fish 'breathe' on my hook and every shake and shimmy of thier body is more intense on a fly rod.

Dust1n
08-16-2012, 09:03 PM
NO DO NOT BUY IT
I got 3 of them and are nothing but crap. I was casting dry flies and it snapped. They break so fast its unreal.

pickrel pat
08-16-2012, 09:08 PM
NO DO NOT BUY IT
I got 3 of them and are nothing but crap. I was casting dry flies and it snapped. They break so fast its unreal.

so why did you buy 3 of them then? just curious....

Dust1n
08-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Cheap, only choice you got at walmart and the first one lasted a week i thought it was my fault, second only lasted a day.
I only got 2 of them*

Gust
08-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Some crappy tire stores have springbrook/tfo combos with rod case for $150,,,, alll diferent rod weights too. I think a good beginner weight if you're serious, is a 6/7 weight.

the5chord
08-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Well I have a found a site in canada that sells the scientific angler reel/rod combo for a reasonable price. Thinking of getting that. Others have reviewed as a good rod to start out on. http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=24430

I will check crappy tire again but when I was in there last they didn't have any fly rods.

Dust1n
08-16-2012, 11:47 PM
DO NOT BUY Scientific Angler Rods!
I have 2 of those aswell from BPS when they had them on for $20
You can use these rods when its cold out and you cant use large dries with them overwise they overload and snap.

the5chord
08-17-2012, 12:10 AM
all right. taking suggestions now for combos I can buy online in canada.

npauls
08-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Check out the TFO combos.

They have a good warranty system. If you happen to break it you can get a replacement piece pretty quick and cheap.

I would look into a 9' 5wt 4 piece combo. This way if you are hiking into somewhere you can pack your rod combo inside a pack or strapped to the side of the pack so it won't get hung up on bushes.

Joe Btfsplk
08-17-2012, 01:00 AM
I bought a four piece #7 9 foot rod with reel, floating line with backing already installed and a carry case all included for $75 on sale at Army & Navy in Edmonton. Regular price: $99.00, a little stiff and the reel is probably junk. I had another reel with better quality line, and proceeded to catch about 30 rainbow trout, three bulls and a blue kurper. Just the carry case alone is worth $30! At least it will give you a start and help you to appreciate a better rod when the time comes to buy one. Not a bad starter kit, though...

Scottmisfits
08-17-2012, 08:24 AM
+1 on the Temple Fork Outfitters. I bought the rod a few years before the reel came out. Then I needed a new reel. I'm not a pro fisherman by any means but the TFO stuff is still above my level, and probably will be for some time.
I snapped the tip of my rod from being stupid. Talked to the Canadian distributor (they just happen to be in Calgary), and got a new piece for my rod, costing me the warranty cost, $30 I think.

Okotokian
08-17-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm STUNNED. I'm told the Ft. Mac region is approaching 100,000, and has to easily have the highest per-capita income in the country, AND THEY DON'T HAVE A SHOP THAT SELLS FISHING GEAR? Guys, business opportunity screaming to be filled....

grinr
08-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Ok,so far the advice offered on the Wallyworld combo ranges from "it's a POS" to " buy it but replace the line and maybe the reel too?",LMAO
So in other words,pay $100 bucks for a POS rod then another $150 for good line and a 1/2 decent reel?.....good grief...:snapoutofit:

Newsflash for ya,ANY big box $100 combo you buy is gonna be crap with crap line and a crap reel......good line alone costs $50-70....those Fisher Price combos will only lead you to frustration and lengthen the learning process considerably.Double your budget and buy one of those TFO combos suggested,they are more than adequate entry level rods with bulletproof warranty,though I can't speak to the quality of the line or reel included cuz I don't know what they include?either that or watch the classifieds on any number of flyfishing forums for good pre-owned gear and for the same $150-200 you'll likely get a mid-high end outfit for a fraction of the new retail cost.....gear*****s sell their stuff dirt cheap all the time!

Okotokian
08-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Frick, there's a guy on Buy and Sell right on this board selling a SAGE VPS 4wt with reel for $200! If you are thinking of fishing on smaller water, you buy that baby!

BeeGuy
08-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Check out the TFO combos.

They have a good warranty system. If you happen to break it you can get a replacement piece pretty quick and cheap.

I would look into a 9' 5wt 4 piece combo. This way if you are hiking into somewhere you can pack your rod combo inside a pack or strapped to the side of the pack so it won't get hung up on bushes.

Why do people always recommend beginner fly fishers start with such light weight fly rods?

I always get a kick watching those poor fellows try and cast with any wind with their new set-up.

Can't even begin to count how many guys have gone home in frustration for this reason alone.

I always say get the cheap, but functional combo. Use it until you break it, and if you make it that far, then you'll have an idea of what you really want.

But hey,

$0.02

Pikecrazed
08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
check the pawn shops if theres any they somtimes have good deals on good products

nekred
08-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm STUNNED. I'm told the Ft. Mac region is approaching 100,000, and has to easily have the highest per-capita income in the country, AND THEY DON'T HAVE A SHOP THAT SELLS FISHING GEAR? Guys, business opportunity screaming to be filled....

Have you seen what retail space and personnel costs are....in FM.... You would have a shop with all the gear and markup accordingly to cover overhead and all the fishermen would scream and rant about being overpriced and then climb into their $80,000 truck buy some over priced Timmies (they have to markup for retail space and staff) and haul butt to ednonton wreaking ravages with the usual highway 63 follies complain about highway not being twinned and all the overdimensional loads along the way (Who are delivering stuff for them to make money) and go into Cabela's/Wholesale sports and then complain about the service there on their way back to FM...

Retail has a hard go in FM unless it is immediately consumable or necessary... fast food and vehicle dealerships.... or was their before the boom

Gust
08-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Have you seen what retail space and personnel costs are....in FM.... You would have a shop with all the gear and markup accordingly to cover overhead and all the fishermen would scream and rant about being overpriced and then climb into their $80,000 truck buy some over priced Timmies (they have to markup for retail space and staff) and haul butt to ednonton wreaking ravages with the usual highway 63 follies complain about highway not being twinned and all the overdimensional loads along the way (Who are delivering stuff for them to make money) and go into Cabela's/Wholesale sports and then complain about the service there on their way back to FM...

Retail has a hard go in FM unless it is immediately consumable or necessary... fast food and vehicle dealerships.... or was their before the boom

So you get creative and set up an old grummond truck and put the fishing store on wheels or become an in home distributor.then become a paid sponsor on ao with an ad and bobs yer uncle.

Dak1138
08-17-2012, 12:31 PM
the fishin hole sale is on next week.I don't know if the sale is online or not, but if it is it would make your budget 25% larger.

npauls
08-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Why do people always recommend beginner fly fishers start with such light weight fly rods?

I always get a kick watching those poor fellows try and cast with any wind with their new set-up.

Can't even begin to count how many guys have gone home in frustration for this reason alone.

I always say get the cheap, but functional combo. Use it until you break it, and if you make it that far, then you'll have an idea of what you really want.

But hey,

$0.02

A 5wt. is a perfect all around set up. especially if he is going to be chasing trout and grayling. He is fishing northern waters. Not the bow river.

The wind up north is no where near as bad as the wind down here in the south and most of the guys I know learned on a 5 or 6 wt. and every one of them has a 5 wt. now because it is just a good all around rod.

I fish in some nasty wind and can punch a nymph rig into the wind pretty good. I am self taught and probably don't have the best form or style when casting but it gets the job done with little to no problems.

BeeGuy
08-17-2012, 05:01 PM
A 5wt. is a perfect all around set up. especially if he is going to be chasing trout and grayling. He is fishing northern waters. Not the bow river.

The wind up north is no where near as bad as the wind down here in the south and most of the guys I know learned on a 5 or 6 wt. and every one of them has a 5 wt. now because it is just a good all around rod.

I fish in some nasty wind and can punch a nymph rig into the wind pretty good. I am self taught and probably don't have the best form or style when casting but it gets the job done with little to no problems.

That's a good point that the wind may not pose as much a problem up north.

If you can punch a nymph rig pretty well into the wind, how do you think a beginner would fair?

npauls
08-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Well I learned on a 5wt. with no help in southern Alberta wind so I think any other beginner has just as good or better of a shot at it then I did.

Albertafisher
08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Cheap, only choice you got at walmart and the first one lasted a week i thought it was my fault, second only lasted a day.
I only got 2 of them*

Wasn't it 3 rods?

the5chord
08-17-2012, 11:14 PM

This is quite accurate. There is a guy who started selling some stuff out of his house by appointment. I called him up and he doesn't have any fly rods right now. I have emailed the fishing hole to see if their sale is online as well. I was thinking of the sage but I would rather get a 5 or 6 wt. I appreciate the input so far. There was a reddington combo on Kijiji in yeg but I dont think he wants to entertain shipping and PayPal.

bellr77
08-18-2012, 12:14 PM
I self taught myself on one of those superfly walmart rods, not the greatest but the line sucks, I had a guy at the trout pond tell me that it was part of my problem and changing it helped a lot. I still have the rod and never broke it so don't believe all the hate, its just like conventional rods from Canadian Tire or Walmart, if you set out and drop 100 bucks you get a a 100 dollar rod which in the fly fishing world isn't much of a rod but its a start.

the5chord
08-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Do you still use the superfly rod or have you moved on now? I suppose I will just end up picking something up used.

bellr77
08-19-2012, 03:23 PM
I moved on to a better rod, still use the same reel and line though.

the5chord
08-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Well I ended up getting a very lightly used Redington Pursuit rod and reel outfit. For just a few dollars more I think I have got a better setup. I think I will be able to get a couple of years put of it before I deserve to spend more on a rod. Thanks for the input.