PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use titanium leaders?

bloopbloob
08-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Just picked up a couple, haven't tried them out yet, but at $7 per leader, I sure hope they're worth it! Anyone use them? Opinions?

0liver
08-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Way better then your average steel wire wound leader. They don't kink up and seem to have less drag in the water helping the action of your lure [maybe thats just me]

I've used the same leader for an entire outing without having it pigtail up.

I was 100% satisfied,definetly worth the money imo.

-Oliver

Levy
08-16-2012, 08:22 PM
To save on cost I bought some "knot 2 kinky" titanium leader line, small gauge sleeves, and small swivels and clasps at whole sale and used a pair of electrical crimpers to make my own. The ten inch leaders work out to less than a dollar a piece if you make them your self and I can make a lot in an hour, enough to last me the winter.

I even tie some thin ones and used an albright knot and super glue and use it for perch when there are pike in the area. I haven't lost a perch hook to a pike since i started using them. They are thin enough that the perch don't seem to be bothered at all by them.

Here is one of the ones i use for perch
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=1449&pictureid=5354

bobalong
08-16-2012, 08:27 PM
I have been using them for quite a few years. Also have some spinner rigs tied with them, if there are a lot of pike around when I am walleye fishing.

The Great White Hype
08-16-2012, 08:32 PM
I have been using titanium leaders for years, they are fantastic! Far more flexible than steel leaders. I use them when I am up north searching out the big boys, and I never have had to replace one while on a trip. Spend the money, wicked good investment.

Wes_G
08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
I will never go back to regular steel leaders again. I used the same leader for a season and a half while up guiding in ontario untill a big pike finally got wrapped up in my line and ended up taking my lure and leader. That was almost 150 days of fishing with the same leader and still perfectly straight. Sure beats using 4 or 5 of those crappy steel leaders every day if you ask me, well worth the 10 dollar investment at the time.

bloopbloob
08-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Great to know! Thanks guys! can't wait to try them out for myself!

tysonlazo2
08-16-2012, 09:44 PM
question is the whole thing titanium or just the wire cuz i find the clasp is what gives

Zuludog
08-16-2012, 11:25 PM
I only use titanium leaders now. I have leaders that I have used while guiding and fishing up north for big pike and lakers. One leader probably has over 20 pike that are OVER 20 lbs and it is still kink free and going strong.

Why spend on junk leaders lots of times when you can spend $10-15 once every 2 or three years?

Alberta Bigbore
08-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Titanium leaders are excellent. You can twist, bend, fold, kink them all you want and they just straighten right out. They last a long time and a worthwhile investment, especially because some crankbaits are $30 and up, why not spend $7 on a leader?

JohninAB
08-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Seen the light and use them exclusively now. Well worth the extra dough.

Walleyemagnet
08-17-2012, 12:01 PM
I haven't used steel leaders in years. I have a few pike setups that have had the same ti-leader for 3 years and they still look like new. Titanium's the only way to go. I like the idea of making them yourself, I need to start doing this.

ice
08-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Best on the market IMO.