PDA

View Full Version : Newby needs help - Armorall for fly line conditioner?

Joe Btfsplk
08-17-2012, 02:02 AM
What is the general thought about using Armorall as a fly line conditioner? I thought it sounded kind of goofy until I read Ian Colin James site (www.ianjames.info) where he says he has been using it for years and it works wonderfully. I am new and relatively inexperienced so I appreciate your thoughts.

npauls
08-17-2012, 02:06 AM
I would be worried that the chemicals would break down the fly line faster then normal use.

I always just use warm water to clean my lines.

Joe Btfsplk
08-17-2012, 07:52 AM
npauls:
Do you use a mild dish soap, detergent, or just plain warm water? Should I soak the line for a while? Thanks for your help!

Okotokian
08-17-2012, 07:59 AM
You can buy a little bottle of fly line cleaner/conditioner and a handy-dandy application device that attaches to your rod to run the line through for dirt cheap. It's also small enough together that it fits in a small pocket in my fishing vest so I always have it with me.

Joe Btfsplk
08-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Okotokian:
that is exactly what I need. Are they available generally? Like in a Fishin' Hole or Cabelas in Edmonton?
Thanks!

Okotokian
08-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Okotokian:
that is exactly what I need. Are they available generally? Like in a Fishin' Hole or Cabelas in Edmonton?
Thanks!

Not sure exactly where I picked it up from, but likely Wholesale Sports or Bass Pro. I do most of my shopping at those two. Maybe a good fly shop would have them too. You open the plastic applicator up. It has foam inside. You squirt on some cleaner, lay the line across it, put it on the rod, snap it shut. Then just pull the line through it and reel it back in. Simple. Takes 30 seconds, can do it in the field, and the line casts way better afterwards.

Lornce
08-17-2012, 08:11 AM
I would not do it. Wash in a mild dishwashing liquid, don't soak just swish around then run it through a cloth to get the dirt off and rinse in clean water. You can then wipe with a commercial line dressing. There are a few commercial ones available. Check your manufacturer for recommendations.

These days there are so many combinations of plastics used in lines thus it is hard to say what will happen to a line when a chemical hits it, now or down the road. As an example bug spray and some sun tan oils are a hard one on fly lines so be aware. I witnessed a brand of fly line that sagged right off the core when hit with bug spray.

Jayhad
08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
From Rio,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBmc9TtrMgQ

I follow this routine every couple of months and my fly lines with shoot farther after.