PDA

View Full Version : Spinner Action Question

RockHammer&Rod
08-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Hey all, Just a quick question regarding using spinners in moving water. I've tried most types of spinners out there with little to no luck.. blue fox, panther martin, mepps, you name it..

I hear of guys having success with spinners and I'm wondering what you do for lure action? Just reel in in at constant rate? Pause and let the spinner die? Any help on the topic is much appreciated!

Stewie
08-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey all, Just a quick question regarding using spinners in moving water. I've tried most types of spinners out there with little to no luck.. blue fox, panther martin, mepps, you name it..

I hear of guys having success with spinners and I'm wondering what you do for lure action? Just reel in in at constant rate? Pause and let the spinner die? Any help on the topic is much appreciated!

I usually try different techniques if I’m not getting any action…

I have also found that the slightest colour can make the difference… in some cases it’s been the same colour spinner but one had a red bead on it and the other didn’t and one out fishes the other

MoFugger21
08-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Really depends on what you're fishing for.

Trout-> constant speed (usually slower), casting across the current and letting the current sweep the spinner across the pool/run. I've had instances where the trout turn away from the spinner if the regular motion is disrupted (spinner 'dies' and flutters towards the bottom for even an instant).

amk
08-17-2012, 01:16 PM
For trout in a small creek use #1,2,4 panther martin, bronze. They should be low down, gouging the bottom, at lowest speed possible which insures the blade rotation. Keep in mind, different trout behave differently, brawn rarely takes it while in the middle of chase, it sticks to its lair, if you hit it it bites or not at the very first moment. Cutts are similar, bows and bulls usually chase it for a while then bite. So the presentation is important for them, while for browns you have to know where they are. There are exclusions.

RockHammer&Rod
09-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the reply's!

pike_king780
09-04-2012, 07:26 PM
with a spinner you will know if its working or not, there will be a constant tugging and resistance when reeling in, i have best luck when i make a cast, let it drop to my designated depth, reel, stop, reel, maybe add a longg slow jerk, basically changing speeds throughout the whole process. good luck!

d4nmy3rs
09-05-2012, 02:29 PM
when I fish against the current with a spinner I usually resort to my strike king spinners. usually with willow blades instead of the spoon blades. Seems to cut the water a little easier. And there a lot heavier so I can cover a lot more realestate

spaghetti
09-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I could use some advice as well on spinners for what it's worth.

I went out to fish where the river slows down, running through one of those little islands just by the shore.

Was using I think, red and yellow panther martin spinner? For maybe about an hour or so?

Nothing. No luck. If it makes a difference my hook was scrapping across enough of the floor to hook all that brown algae, and I was casting up stream to let it flow down.

Is there a trick or something to this? I'm much better with spooning or bait and bobber.

Christofficer
09-05-2012, 08:15 PM
I love spinners but I suck with using them most of the time. But my go to for trout is panther martin. Even catch whitefish on them. You can try casting slightly upstream then reeling in constant speed, or across and let the lre "swing". Vary the speed as well. For some reason I can't catch rainbows on anything but silver. Gotta move around too, don't stay in one spot for an hour. Not sure if that's what you meant in your post.