PDA

View Full Version : electrical question (wiring a 220 wielder)

LacLaBicheNS
08-17-2012, 03:14 PM
I have a old miller wielder that worked great for the guy I bought it from.

The plug for the wielder is a flat 3 prong and my 220 recepticle for the garage is a 4 prong (3 flat, ground is round). After speaking to many people, my best option was to cut off the 3 prong wielder plug and splice on a plug that matches my up to date garage 220 recepticle.

So I bought everything to make the splice in a junction box.

My problem now is when I cut the plug off the weilder I find 1 green wire and 2 black wires. Not 1 green and a red and a black wire.

I assume:
-green is ground
-2 black wires are hot (but not sure which is positive or neg)

I have connected the weilder green to the bare ground in the junction box.

My question is, does it matter which black wire from the weilder goes to the red or black from the new plug? I don't think it matter, but I want to be sure.

billie
08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Green to the ground
The blacks to the red and black or brass terminals, abandon the silver terminal (White or neutral).

There is no polarity in AC.

LacLaBicheNS
08-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Green to the ground
The blacks to the red and black or brass terminals, abandon the silver terminal (White or neutral).

awsome thats what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I didn't fry myself lol..

Kim473
08-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Green to the ground

X2!
Green is ground, others in this case don't matter. Surprized there is no white wire in the cable. Guess there is some older cables like that.

Ken07AOVette
08-17-2012, 10:42 PM
I have a old miller wielder that worked great for the guy I bought it from.

The plug for the wielder is a flat 3 prong and my 220 recepticle for the garage is a 4 prong (3 flat, ground is round). After speaking to many people, my best option was to cut off the 3 prong wielder plug and splice on a plug that matches my up to date garage 220 recepticle.

So I bought everything to make the splice in a junction box.

My problem now is when I cut the plug off the weilder I find 1 green wire and 2 black wires. Not 1 green and a red and a black wire.

I assume:
-green is ground
-2 black wires are hot (but not sure which is positive or neg)

I have connected the weilder green to the bare ground in the junction box.

My question is, does it matter which black wire from the weilder goes to the red or black from the new plug? I don't think it matter, but I want to be sure.

You have just connected everything else wired through that box, turning your ground into common. There is a reason there is a common and a ground, I do not think I would do what you are doing, at least based on the information provided. Have you got a schematic for the welder? What model is it? Maybe with a model # we can find a wiring diagram. Are you sure it was not a 3 phase unit retired to single phase? Afaik 3p is the only use not requiring a common.

verminator
08-18-2012, 04:09 AM
Why didn't you just change out the recepticle most 220 welders are that style plug or buy a cheater cord adapter? Would have made it easier, and safer.