PDA

View Full Version : small utility boats in Cold Lake?

Dr. Gonzo
08-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Thinking of heading up to Cold Lake for some Lake Trout fishing. I've only been up there ice fishing before and was wondering what the opinions are on small boats in such a big lake (I know that when we go to Calling, it often takes some fancy motor manipulation to keep us facing into the chop and not going over sideways) I assume the consensus is that it all depends on the weather. I have a Lowe 1467 so it is 10 inches wider and 5 deeper than most standard 14 ft utility boats but just thought I'd see what you guys think. Incidentally, any recommendations on using a three way swivel and weight set up as sort of a jerry rigged downrigger? Thanks

C Taylor
08-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Storms come up quick and the water is cold enough on cold that you won't last long. Not a good lake to play around on in a small boat even the big boats respect that lake

gilbertslake
08-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Storms come up quick and the water is cold enough on cold that you won't last long. Not a good lake to play around on in a small boat even the big boats respect that lake

The winds certainly can come up quickly but usually associated with a fast moving incoming system. You need to keep a 'weather eye' on what is going on.
I sail on Cold Lake and twice in 3 years had a bit of a scare.
First was when we (other sail boats as well) saw a thunderstorm system approaching, the wind came up quickly and we almost had a 'knockdown' when my boat (26 footer) was slammed broadside by a squall. The second time was when we had a decent sailing day with a 20 km/hr SW wind.
In a matter of minutes the wind veered NW and was gusting to 50+ km/hr. Even though I reduced sail, we were fighting a strong wind and it was too much for my boat's steering cable as it broke. Fortunately we were able to be towed to the marina entrance, then I jury rigged the steering to get us to our slip.
A number of people do use 14 footers on the lake though, me included.
My rule of thumb is:
1. check the forecast before you decide to go out
2. Keep an eye on the weather at all times
3. If winds start to pick up get close to shore and hug it on the way back
4. Best get to a 'lee shore' out of the winds
5. Make sure you have a kicker on board and lots of gas, just in case
6 Be prepared to beach your boat and ride out the storm, so extra food and clothing are a must.
7 Don't forget you cell phone...........just in case you run into trouble.

If the locals are not venturing out, neither should you. Locals know the lake so take their advice if they say a storm is brewing, even though it is flat calm.

trapshooter
08-18-2012, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't go on that lake with anything smaller then 14' make sure you are totally prepared! My Dad lived right on te lake for 20 years and within 30 min a storm so big would come you would be in huge trouble!

Teamprotz
08-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Long weekend , went from ripples to 5 footers in less than an hour , and it wasn' t even windy.

Teamprotz
08-19-2012, 06:20 AM
its easily do able on a good day but be careful , don't run too far.

EZM
08-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Careful is the consensus.

As fars as a 3 way - i'd suggest a heavy bannana in-line sinker with bead swivels is a far better set-up. No tangles, consistent presentation and easier to get a fish netted with far less boatside shinanigans.

better yet - get a dipsy diver - control depth, direction accurately.