PDA

View Full Version : Fishing boat opinions

borchy
08-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Thinking of buying a used 16-17 foot fishing boat next year Full windshield top etc. Just wondering everyones opinions and experiences on the legend boats and how do they compare to lunds sylvans and princecrafts. I want this boat for being able to take Rough water. Like Cold Lake can get sometimes. Thanks in advance.

Mayhem
08-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Thinking of buying a used 16-17 foot fishing boat next year Full windshield top etc. Just wondering everyones opinions and experiences on the legend boats and how do they compare to lunds sylvans and princecrafts. I want this boat for being able to take Rough water. Like Cold Lake can get sometimes. Thanks in advance.

I run an 18' Lund and have fished out of a Crestliner and Sylvan as well, I would rate them in that order, never looked at Princecraft though. You get what you pay for, especially in rough water. Take a look at what sells in the classifieds here and you will see what I mean.

moosehead7
08-19-2012, 09:41 PM

I am also looking at legend but I prefer the smokercraft

257wbyhunter
08-19-2012, 10:11 PM
i have one buddy with the legend 151 angler with a 50hp mercury and another buddy with a 16ft lund with 40hp johnson both are great boats but as far as stability on rough water the legend was built way stronger but both boats are almost 10 years old already not sure what lund is putting out now or the money your looking at spending.

ReayMan
08-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Lund makes a great boat!!

EZM
08-20-2012, 12:42 AM
I have a 162 smokercraft full windshield - it's pretty good (safe and stable) in chop but you will get wet in almost any small light tinner when it's time to cut accross the lake and head home.

If you want to spend twice as much money a Lund is a better boat.

Bigger, longer and heavier as a general rule is better in chop.

skidderman
08-20-2012, 12:43 AM
As far as I'm concerned Lunds are over rated for the money. Smokercraft and Sylvan are just as good and a lot less. As far as durability in my opinion Crestliner and Princecraft are a better boat but perhaps don't look as pretty. Whatever turns your crank I guess.

Jiffy10
08-20-2012, 06:40 AM
I have a Legend 151Angler. its as small as you would want to go.
It works for me and it fits in my Garage . ( that was key )
Soon as you get to the 16 to 17 and 18ft. the beam gets about
10 inches wider and the height of the sides get about another 8 inches .
I would love to upgrade to a bigger unit but I'm limited to my Garage size.

As far as brands go.... I've seen'm all and been in most of the Brands.
Don't overthink Brands. There are very few hard core anglers that use
their boats more than once per week. You will never wear out your boat
and they all make very good product. Very few leak.... or don't handle water
well. If you looking to crash 2 ft whitecaps on a regular basis... I agree
with the Lund choice mentioned above. However.... for the average Joe ,
PrinceCraft , Legend, Smokercraft , Alumicraft etc. and all the rest of the
popular brands are very similar. None will disappoint you.
Get what fits your budget and hunt around for a good deal. Consider used
if that works for you.

see you on the water.

prodogg02
08-20-2012, 09:11 AM
I must got the lund 1675 impact ,it came with fold down rear seats ,travel cover ,4 post seats on board battery charger ,wireless trolling motor,sterio,stand up top,spare tire (optional?),paddels, life jackets the whole works. ie lookd at other boats like legend and smokercraft,sylvan, g3and prince craft I spent about a year deciding what to get ,by the time I added a 90hp engine to replace the 50 that most legends come with you will pay more or just as much as I did for my lund same goes for other brands riverside honda offerd great service as well , oh lol on sat Iraced a prince craft at fawcett lake with a 90 on it it was about the same size as mine 16-17 foot modle and smoked him by about 2 miles by the time we hit the west side of the lake lol speedo tops out at 40mph cant get it any faster.god luck with your purcase.

pelada trochu
08-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Me boat is for sale if anyone is interested.
172 Millentia with every option and 115 opti.
Course my wife will kill me as I will have to replace it next season.

Top speed about 44mph on a good day with gps.
2 props, spitfire 4 blade and 3 black max
flip seats in back (favorite feature) not a flip bench as this option is not ideal
fish top, onboard charger
etc... etc...

was stored in heated shop last winter and always in my garage.

she is a 2011 model with warranty on motor this and next year.

Just PM me if interested. Would have to be a decent price as its a great boat. Besides, would hate to miss the september fishing season. Water test on the spot to a serious buyer for confirmation of function.

GrandeCachefisher
08-20-2012, 09:42 AM
I've got a 16 ft Legend widebody with a 25 hp 2 stroke. Great boat so far. Paid about 2000 less than a comparable Lund. .100 gauge hull was a big selling point. plus the motor upgrades when you purchase are pretty good too. had this boat out on all kinds of lakes big and small with no issues.

dshot
08-20-2012, 10:22 AM
I have a Alumacraft Lunker 165 with a 40hp evinrude e tec, the boat has been excellent. From glass water to 4 whitecaps on Minnewanka and Shuswap I have never felt unconfident in the boat. The bigger models with the dual windshield are even better.

Rafter_G
08-20-2012, 11:21 AM
I have a 2010 Legend 20' Xcalibur. I upgraded the motor from the 90 they advertised to a 150 Optimax. I have used that boat on big BC lakes, wind blown reservoirs, Minewanka on Saturday, (it was dead calm) and Northern Alberta. I have honestly been impressed with the way it handles no matter what the condition. It has snap in cushions for the bow to turn it into somewhere my wife will lounge, and a bench in the back that fits 3, turns down into another fishing platform. There were a couple of screws that rattled loose at the beginning, but nothing close to major. I have heard of folks cussing Legend boats, but I really like mine, and am not even close to being easy on stuff. I loaded it up with a 75lb electric motor, upgraded chairs, electric down riggers,full enclosed cabin, and all kind of other junk, and still didnt get it to where Lund was with the same type of boat without the add on's, it is a family boat that whips into a fishing rig in seconds. So far so good.