PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Jet Drive Question

BigIrv
08-19-2012, 09:21 PM
For my next boat I still want to stay with an aluminum v-hull boat design but am thinking about going to a jet drive rather than prop.

Has anyone done this on a normal v-hull boat? Do you still get decent performance out of it in lakes?

I'd like to look at this option to ensure I have maximum versatility.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks!

Stu
08-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Use a prop.
Unless you want to run skinny water.
If you must have both get a motor with both a prop and jet, and you can swap them out.
Good luck!

bloopbloob
08-19-2012, 11:09 PM
You'll lose about 30% of your HP and can only steer when under power. Unless you're river fishing, a jet is not the way to go

skidderman
08-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Unless your boat has a flat bottom at the back you will be very unhappy. You will have to get a jack plate or modify the stern so the motor sits higher. The height of the pump needs to be adjusted well and needs full water flow to work properly. Too much of a V and it lets air into the pump. Yes you will loose power but I expect you know that. A 115 becomes about an 85 at the pump. Another factor to consider is that since the pump is always under load, fuel usage will be high. There are many outboard jets out there. Just have to put the correct combo together and away you go. As well remember that you can't go into weeds with jet pumps. Plugs them up in a hurry. Good luck.