PDA

View Full Version : P.E.I Trip- Giant Bluefin Tuna & Salty Bow Pics!

tight line
08-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Thought i would share some pics of my annual trip to P.E.I. I went out Giant Bluefin Tuna Fishing with some friends, and had a great day. we had Whales surfacing right near the boat, and the Tuna were very active! we had them coming right to the boat with mackeral Chum, some estimated around 1200lbs. We hooked up on a live mackeral, and the fighting glove got handed to me! the fish took several 2-300m runs, and turned and came right back at us, dove deep, and had my arms burning after 15 min. my Buddy kept turning the Drag up on me and urged me to Horse the fish in a bit. After a 50 min fight we had him at the boat, the gamakatsu Circe hook was perfectly in his lip and came out with ease for a Live Release. Fish was estimated to be 6-700lbs!!!cross that off my Bucket list!!! we hooked a larger one as well and fought him over a hour, on his first run he took 500+meters of line... we ended up loosing him...figured he was 1000-1100lbs...

I also Fished the Tidal River by my Dads house for Sea Run Rainbows and Brookies. I Had some really good mornings getting into several 6-8lb Salty Bows as i call them, i ended up loosing most of the big guys, as i had to use 6lb tippet due to water clarity...these fish pretty much stay in the mouth of the river their whole life eating shrimp and are extremely strong. i had several hooks straightened... I also had a big guy jump 6 times!!! unreal. i landed alot of 3-5lbers (15 one morning). Biologists from UPEI are studying & tagging these fish to see where they go exactly, and i gave them a pretty good show a few mornings as they are fishing and tagging fish every morning as well. a summer i wont forget!!! i appologize about the thumbnails...photobucket is giving me grief...

nate55
08-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Nice fish!

OneGirlWolfPack
08-19-2012, 10:38 PM
That brings back memories. I'm from PEI and loved going out in the boat with my dad when I was little :) beautiful fish! It looks like you guys had an awesome time!

tight line
08-19-2012, 10:43 PM
i should also add that we did not have a fighting harness, so please no hater comments..we would have used one if we had one! the rods are in a gimlet attached to the boat, not quite as sporty but pretty intense all the same...and one hell of a arm work out... even with a stand up harness you are tied to the boat, and that is a MUST! lol next year we are investing in one!

Alberta Bigbore
08-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Quite the Big game rod. I think BBJ uses something close to it down on the NSR for sturgeon and Wabamun Pike :)

Excellent pics, thanks for sharing with us.

lone wolf
08-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Awesome fish, sounds like a great trip !!

tight line
08-20-2012, 07:59 PM
That brings back memories. I'm from PEI and loved going out in the boat with my dad when I was little :) beautiful fish! It looks like you guys had an awesome time!

Ya its a beautiful Place, we spent alot of time at panmure island beach as well! had awesome weather!

tight line
08-20-2012, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=Alberta Bigbore;1567801]Quite the Big game rod. I think BBJ uses something close to it down on the NSR for sturgeon and Wabamun Pike :)

definately a heavy duty rod! AFTCO Rod w/ PENN 130st Reel- 500m of 300lb Mono then 700m of Dacron backing, you need lots of backbone in case you are fishing in rough weather, we had a lighter rod as well, but unfortunately he hit the bigger set up...

DuckBrat
08-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Clear Water, Big Trout equals straight Flourocarbon #8 or #10 from loop to fly. Just a tip from me to you.

tight line
08-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Clear Water, Big Trout equals straight Flourocarbon #8 or #10 from loop to fly. Just a tip from me to you.

Lol, my buddy said the same thing, went and got some 8lb Sedge floro, but the big guys were laying low with sore lips by then...next year i better bring more than 4-6lb tippet...