PDA

View Full Version : Places to fish for bull trout

tight_lines
08-21-2012, 06:20 PM
I really want to try out catching bull trout but have not been any luck at all the places i have tried. :angry3: Any suggestions anyone. :thinking-006:

Lornce
08-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Hire a guide?

TheLegend
08-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Were have you been trying to catch bull trout?

tight_lines
08-21-2012, 06:41 PM
ive tried sheep river, lower k lake and livingstone/oldman river

tight_lines
08-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Hire a guide?

low on funds, dont have the money to spend on a guide. i wish i could.

BeeGuy
08-21-2012, 06:53 PM

just keep at it and you'll get one

0liver
08-21-2012, 07:19 PM
What presentations are you using? Try tossing in a medium sized spoon, or even a rapala with colourations similar to what they are eating. Something that looks like a small cutthroat trout would work wonders, orange, silver, red, shiny...you get the picture, right?

Big poofy streamers work nicely too. Rabbit fur dose the trick aparently...but you didn't hear that from me.

The best advice I can give is be persistant!

best of luck,
Oliver

TheLegend
08-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Scalp Creek and the upper red deer river in ya ha tinda has quite a few bulls from my experience.

fish gunner
08-21-2012, 07:58 PM
pm sent.

MoFugger21
08-21-2012, 08:24 PM

No shortage of them in the livingstone.... 3/8 oz or so spinners, look for holding/ambush spots- cut banks, submerged trees/logs, smaller pools, etc. Let the spinner flutter in the current for a quick second, then start reeling in. If they're around usually as soon as you start your retrieval they'll come out from their hiding spot. Oh and invest in some polarized glasses if you don't have any yet. They make a world of difference.

tight_lines
08-21-2012, 10:13 PM
thanks ya i want to fly fish for them. Ive been using bunn streamers white or green, cutty patterns. i quess i just have to go to the right place and find them. thanks for the tips guys
:happy0034:

Mutter87
08-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Who are some good spincast oriented guides??

wildcat111
08-22-2012, 06:22 AM
try the sheep again, go the past the sheep river provincial park and work your way down, i either find them in swallow fast moving water or in deep pools, you should be able to see them, from the top they look like suckers(my observation) i use big leeches brown for the pools and a weighted royal coachman for the faster water.last time i was there broke my 8 weight rod, theres some real hogs in there so don't waste your time with light tackle.

ryanheartssteelhead
08-22-2012, 07:13 AM

Lower K is one of my favorite spots for Bulls. I get more there than the rivers

tight line
08-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Stick with lower K ;)

338Bluff
08-22-2012, 07:57 AM
thanks ya i want to fly fish for them. Ive been using bunn streamers white or green, cutty patterns. i quess i just have to go to the right place and find them. thanks for the tips guys
:happy0034:

I prefer big muddler minnow. Gunk it up with some sort of sinking agent, or just tie them sort of raggy. Fast strip.

Jayhad
08-22-2012, 09:09 AM
I prefer big muddler minnow. Gunk it up with some sort of sinking agent, or just tie them sort of raggy. Fast strip.

Not a very good or legal suggestion in bait banned fisheries which most bull trout streams are
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/definitions.html
READ YOUR REGS

LCCFisherman
08-22-2012, 09:15 AM
I caught 7 in 4hrs one morning a week ago on the Castle... pretty easy to catch IMO.

Jayhad
08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Not a very good or legal suggestion in bait banned fisheries which most bull trout streams are
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/definitions.html
READ YOUR REGS

Sorry dude I didn't read that correctly I thought you said stinking agent MY BAD

houndsmen
08-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Anybody willing to say if they've had much luck with Bulls on the Blackstone this year? Sizeable one's?

Bhflyfisher
08-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Bulls on the blackstone are usually quite small. The odd one will surprise you, but they aren't usually over 17-18" Usually pretty snakey too.

Sedativ3
08-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Bulls on the blackstone are usually quite small. The odd one will surprise you, but they aren't usually over 17-18" Usually pretty snakey too.

Last year on the blackstone we hooked into quite a few over 20. Was pretty late in the year so that may have had something to do with it.

biggamehunter
08-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Track down Jake Markham, he's the bull trout master.

tight_lines
08-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Lower K is one of my favorite spots for Bulls. I get more there than the rivers

I was there last weekend trolling everything and only catch 2 rainbows in 12hrs. It sucked. :sign0176:

tight_lines
08-22-2012, 02:07 PM
try the sheep again, go the past the sheep river provincial park and work your way down, i either find them in swallow fast moving water or in deep pools, you should be able to see them, from the top they look like suckers(my observation) i use big leeches brown for the pools and a weighted royal coachman for the faster water.last time i was there broke my 8 weight rod, theres some real hogs in there so don't waste your time with light tackle.

Ok thanks quests I'll have to pick up an 8wt then. My 5wts would get killed. You use full sink or sink tip line?? To reach those guys?

Scotty P.
08-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Highwood river has been good to me. Might be worth a try. Anyway best of luck! Hang in there, it will happen if your patient.

tight line
08-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Anybody willing to say if they've had much luck with Bulls on the Blackstone this year? Sizeable one's?

Few decent ones, ran into some tanks 2 years ago, havent found them since.

Mutter87
08-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Track down Jake Markham, he's the bull trout master.

Is he a guide??? I would be interested in going on a guided trip for Bulls.

biggamehunter
08-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Kinda, I'm sure he would take you out if you asked him. Search him on facebook

Bhflyfisher
08-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Few decent ones, ran into some tanks 2 years ago, havent found them since.

That was my experience too. Some very nice fish around.. but they havn't shown themselves since then.

wildcat111
08-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Ok thanks quests I'll have to pick up an 8wt then. My 5wts would get killed. You use full sink or sink tip line?? To reach those guys?

i was using a sinking leader, not sure where to get them , my buddy supplied me with one, i am sure the fishing hole or wholesale sports will have them.

Dust1n
08-22-2012, 11:30 PM
When i fished for them in rivers i found out my fly was to small and not close enough to the bottom.
The bulls are heading up so if you find em on a reed please leave them alone.

Olive and White Double Bunnys are awesome!

Gust
08-22-2012, 11:38 PM
I thought one was supposed to target cuttys and then have legal live bait????

CPT_420
08-23-2012, 01:32 AM
What is all this talk of redds??? What is it??

Speaking of fishing for bullies with cutty's, I was at a known river west of calgary and there were bullies everywhere in the shallows!!! Tried everything to get them to bite, crankbaits ripped infront of their face, big spoons floated down even touching them, nothing worked, until I tried a 13in cutty my buddy just landed on a pickeral rig, bonked it, hooked it through the nose, casted, and WHAM!!!!!!! I literally caught 16 bulltrout in the span of 3 hours doing this!!! Buddy was even having a hard time keeping up with my cutty supply. What a great trip out!

Just MAKE SURE and kill the cutthroat first, as using live bait is illegal in Alberta (I think, maybe they changed it?)

Bhflyfisher
08-23-2012, 01:34 AM
I cant tell if that was a troll or not... im really hoping it was.

BeeGuy
08-23-2012, 01:35 AM
:bad_boys_20:

BeeGuy
08-23-2012, 01:36 AM

you can't tell?

really?

CPT_420
08-23-2012, 01:37 AM
;) :bad_boys_20:

Steven Noel
08-23-2012, 01:46 AM
Give Elk Creek a shot.

Gust
08-23-2012, 02:13 AM
What is all this talk of redds??? What is it??

Speaking of fishing for bullies with cutty's, I was at a known river west of calgary and there were bullies everywhere in the shallows!!! Tried everything to get them to bite, crankbaits ripped infront of their face, big spoons floated down even touching them, nothing worked, until I tried a 13in cutty my buddy just landed on a pickeral rig, bonked it, hooked it through the nose, casted, and WHAM!!!!!!! I literally caught 16 bulltrout in the span of 3 hours doing this!!! Buddy was even having a hard time keeping up with my cutty supply. What a great trip out!

Just MAKE SURE and kill the cutthroat first, as using live bait is illegal in Alberta (I think, maybe they changed it?)

As long as you rig the live cutty in the mouth, nobody can prove that you didnt catch em,, besides, the bully will latch on the cutty hard enough that the hook non't madter, right? Still lookin at the regs for hookless catchins.... Help?!?!

Gust
08-23-2012, 02:16 AM

Your post confuses me,,,, you hope it was a troll or you hope it was not a troll?

Lornce
08-23-2012, 09:00 AM

All of these are good bets

ericlin0122
08-23-2012, 10:49 AM
i heard white fish tails work the best. :sign0161:

Guitarplayingfish
08-23-2012, 10:52 AM
When i fished for them in rivers i found out my fly was to small and not close enough to the bottom.
The bulls are heading up so if you find em on a reed please leave them alone.

Olive and White Double Bunnys are awesome!

I HATE the olive and white DBs.... Its the only kind of DB you can find majority of the time... the fish have seen them 100 times before, stupid olive and white ties... :mad3:

Sled Dog
08-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Got a bunch of smaller bulls on the upper Blackstock about two weeks ago. They were taking org/yellow stimulators.

tight_lines
08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
i was using a sinking leader, not sure where to get them , my buddy supplied me with one, i am sure the fishing hole or wholesale sports will have them.

What's the biggest you've pulled out of the sheep??

walking buffalo
08-24-2012, 03:55 PM

In the section that is closed to fishing?

Be aware, the Sheep River between the bridge at Indian Oils and Gorge Creek is Closed to fishing year round.

bdub
08-24-2012, 08:30 PM
There are some huge bulls in the Peace around Fort St John and other tribs off of it. Not sure how far downstream from there they go. We caught some in the twenty pound range and I believe the record is in the thirties. They look like dinosaurs when you are pulling them in. The angling restrictions have made fishing for them more difficult which is a good thing IMO.

wildcat111
08-24-2012, 08:57 PM
What's the biggest you've pulled out of the sheep??

the biggest i pulled out was around 10 pounds, had bigger on. its strange, there either 12-14 inches or 24+ inches, never caught any in between. buddy was out there last week caught a huge one, just seen picture havn't talked to him to see what he was using or how big, but probably 10+ pounds, very big fish.i mostly do spot and stalk, always smaller fish are in the swallow water. i know he likes to use the royal coachman but not sure if thats what he used this time or not.

wildcat111
08-24-2012, 09:21 PM
In the section that is closed to fishing?

Be aware, the Sheep River between the bridge at Indian Oils and Gorge Creek is Closed to fishing year round.

i do know how to read and i'm sure the ao member that made the oringal post also knows how to read the regs and a map, this is a site for hunters and fisherman, not retards, thanks