PDA

View Full Version : Fairview

rossi
08-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Heading to fairview end of month to take kid to collage. Looking for a good spot to do some fly fishing and maybe catch some trout.

fishman
08-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Stoney lake ....running lake ....figure eight

Littlejet
08-22-2012, 07:32 AM
X2 on Stoney Lake----> WOW!!!!

NorthernAbGuy
08-22-2012, 01:46 PM
The college has a small pond that is stocked with rainbows every spring. The best part about it for fly fisherman is that the banks are almost completely free of obstacles for casting. You could play the three hole golf course too if they aren't biting. There are tons of small lakes nearby, Cummings lake, Figure 8,(watch out for the Otters, they seemed a lil antsy on monday night when I had the dog on the 'yak with me) couple of ponds out by Peace river, Nardam down by Rycroft/spirit river. Just do a proximity search in Ifish AB, or look in the regs book. What course is he coming for? I am an instructor there if you hadn't guessed by now.

Donkey Oatey
08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
The college has a small pond that is stocked with rainbows every spring. The best part about it for fly fisherman is that the banks are almost completely free of obstacles for casting. You could play the three hole golf course too if they aren't biting. There are tons of small lakes nearby, Cummings lake, Figure 8,(watch out for the Otters, they seemed a lil antsy on monday night when I had the dog on the 'yak with me) couple of ponds out by Peace river, Nardam down by Rycroft/spirit river. Just do a proximity search in Ifish AB, or look in the regs book. What course is he coming for? I am an instructor there if you hadn't guessed by now.

What do you teach there at the college? (I can see the college through my office window right now)

NorthernAbGuy
08-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I am a technical instructor in the Harley-Davidson department. I do the PHD training for Techs that work in Harley dealerships. I'm at the Fairview Campus.

fishman
08-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Cummings Lake are they still trying to stock browns in there and it winter kills every year? Nardam by rycroft is bigger then a dugout but not a real lake and the size of the fish tells you that. Running lake is by hines creek which has brookies in it no idea how big never fished it. The two ponds by grimshaw one was stocked with bows and the other was stocked with grayling, that was years ago no idea now but great for small fish.......stoney lake has brookies and rainbows with bows up 22 inchs and brookies up to 18 inchs and easy to catch........sulphur is farther down the road but getting farther to travel....figure eight use to have browns and bows but to many people complained about not catching the browns so if you complain enough to peace river fish and widlife u could get the browns back..........i have caught some very nice fish out of here bows in the 26 inch range and brown in the 24 inch range,,,,,,,,good luck

NorthernAbGuy
08-22-2012, 07:10 PM
As far as I know, Cummings lake has only been winterkilled the last 2 years to control the perch. There used to be a ton of em, but no more. It was stocked this year with Rainbow trout. Not alot of places to fish from the bank for good fly fishing opportunities (IMO). Figure 8 has a few areas that are pretty clear from shore, stocked with rainbows, aerated, so they can get a lil bigger. Nardam and the college pond are both pretty small water bodies, but almost completely clear shorelines, that's why I suggested them for fly fishing.

fishman
08-22-2012, 08:10 PM
We have no idea if he is shore fishing or boat fishing. Figure eight would be my first choice.

rossi
08-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Son will be taking power engineering and yes I probably will be shore fishing maybe be able to put pontoon boat in.

WorldClass
08-24-2012, 12:22 PM
There's also Moonshine west of Spirit River, but its a bit further then the other lakes mentioned above.

rossi
08-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks for all the info guys where can a person camp.

KegRiver
08-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Did you guys forget about the Goldeye and Trout in the Peace at Dunvegan?

WorldClass
08-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Did you guys forget about the Goldeye and Trout in the Peace at Dunvegan?

I'll probably be upstream of the boat launch there tomorrow evening after work for a bit. Not a whole lot of room for a back cast for flea flickers, but if he brought waders then there wouldn't be an issue.

KegRiver
08-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I'll probably be upstream of the boat launch there tomorrow evening after work for a bit. Not a whole lot of room for a back cast for flea flickers, but if he brought waders then there wouldn't be an issue.

Hows the water, is it clear enough for a fly to be effective?

I would think it probably is, but I haven't checked a several weeks.

The Goldeye ought to be gathering in the back eddies this time of year.
Fall can be a good time to target them.

bikerman
08-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Figure Eight lake north of Grimshaw can be phenomenal for rainbows. I usually catch them on a muddler minnow, add splitshot to get it down deep, right from shore. Same thing for Stoney lake north of Hines Creek, but bonus is brookies as well as the rainbows.

WorldClass
08-25-2012, 06:27 PM
I haven't been down to the peace in over two weeks now. Went skydiving on my last set of days off. It was reasonably clean back then though, about 2-4 feet visibility and since there's been hardly any rain and I haven't heard of them opening the spillway again it should be in really good shape. I'll let you know when I get back tomorrow evening.