PDA

View Full Version : Experienced fly fisherman with patience.....?

C.Noble
08-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Hey. Just got a fly combo and a few flies. Have waders as well. I am going to be in Okotoks on the sept long weekend. Possibly 4 days, don't know for sure yet. Was wondering if anyone with some patience had some time to teach as I've never done this before. Feel free to pm. Thanks

Dust1n
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Go to the sheep river and bring some Elk Hair Caddis or Adams. Go upstream past the rapids beside the libary and you should see the rainbows jumping out of the water. I landed probibly around 50 in a few hours nothing over 12" but there still fun

greylynx
08-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Hey. Just got a fly combo and a few flies. Have waders as well. I am going to be in Okotoks on the sept long weekend. Possibly 4 days, don't know for sure yet. Was wondering if anyone with some patience had some time to teach as I've never done this before. Feel free to pm. Thanks

Contact the Northern Lights Flyfishing club.

I guess that would be Trout unlimited outside of calgary

C.Noble
08-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks so far. Anyone else?

HighRiver
08-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I fish the holes between the 2 bridges in town. Like another person previously mentionted, just upstream of the Library towards the campground. Elk hair Caddis, Adams, Royal coachmen and San Juan worm work great. Lots of swimmers near the campground though. I might be around that Saturday. I will be up for going down to the Sheep River if I dont have to work.

BBT
08-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Sign up for Hansons fly shops boot camp. $200.00 for a full days lessons plus you get to keep the gear. But since you have gear they will give you a store credit for other stuff.
Best bang for the buck out there and they will show all you need to know to get started.

slivers86
08-25-2012, 09:08 PM

If I'm around, I can show you what I know.

I'm no pro at all, but the sheep is an awesome river to learn in, as the small rainbows are willing, whitefish are plentiful and the bulls are fun if you get to that.

desol
08-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Fished the sheep yesterday. Was a great day and it seems like there are lots of growing rainbows in it. It's got potential to be a great rainbow river so long as people are respectful of the fish.

Ran across a guy on an ATV that said some people were fishing a hole and caught a big bull trout....and literally threw it back in the water. This is bad posture. If anyone see's people littering, treating fish poorly(i found a dead bull just downstream of these people...hmm, guess who killed it), etc...let 'em know that if they don't respect the river, they ain't welcome around there.

bikerman
08-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Whitefish are running in the sheep now. Legal now to use a fly tipped with a maggot, fished just off the bottom. Use # 12 or smaller.