PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing question

waterninja
08-22-2012, 01:07 PM
iv'e noticed quite a few fly fishermen on the nsr lately and i have a silly question. has anyone on this site ever caught a sturgeon on a fly or knows someone who has? it seems unlikely but hey, stranger things have happened

TheLegend
08-22-2012, 01:10 PM
that would be like a one in a million chance....usually fly fisherman on the nsr are fishing for goldeye. but you never know maybe someone has?

Guitarplayingfish
08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
iv'e noticed quite a few fly fishermen on the nsr lately and i have a silly question. has anyone on this site ever caught a sturgeon on a fly or knows someone who has? it seems unlikely but hey, stranger things have happened

I have thought about it before... haha but I don't think you will get one unless you rig up like you would with a spincast and use some heavy duty line w/ gloves to hand the spool spinning out of control. Also, I would assume you would need some sort of heavy-duty ocean rod.

Would be awesome to see though!!

Badflies
08-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I always get them sipping size 18 caddis flies around dusk. They are some pretty mean fish though, I would bring at least a 4wt with 5x tippet or heavier.

biggamehunter
08-22-2012, 05:33 PM
PICS?:126fs2277341:

Bhflyfisher
08-22-2012, 09:08 PM
I always get them sipping size 18 caddis flies around dusk. They are some pretty mean fish though, I would bring at least a 4wt with 5x tippet or heavier.

Sturgeon? I think you mean goldeye.

WayneChristie
08-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Ive thought about it, with a minnow or worm instead of a fly, but you would have to have a pretty heavy leader, and I am thinking it would be way too much stress on the fish so not worth it. on the other hand I have tried a mooching rod and reel, no luck that time but Im going to get one on that gear one of these days. hopefully not too big, they dont call those reels knuckle busters for no reason! :scared0018:

Badflies
08-23-2012, 09:29 AM
In all honesty it would be an insane venture. In the giant world of fishing perhaps someone has accidentally hooked one, but I doubt it would even be possible to land anything but a juvenile in a fly rod. And BH isn't a goldeye just a baby sturgeon anyway ;)

Jayhad
08-23-2012, 09:37 AM
There has been an Albertan that has caught a sturgeon on a black wolly bugger, not snagged. His story has been told with pictures on FFC.... but only elitests frequent that site...:argue2: