PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing issue

the local angler
08-22-2012, 11:33 PM
hey everyone i was out fly fishing today in the afternoon and well into the evening and was using dries for trout. they were rising well and caught a few and after a few fish i decided to change the fly and after that i have been having issues with what i call the balance of the fly. before it was sitting properly in the water and floating nice and high. after the change the fly seemed nose heavy and kept sitting on the water with its butt in the air, i bring it in and check the knott to see if it was cockeyed or not and seemed fine so i recast and its sitting perfectly and after a few strips in then sat on its nose again. this went on no matter what fly i changed too and i even snipped off the first foot of the leader and replaced the tippet with new 5x. the rod is a 5weight and running cortland 444 line that is new as is the tapered leader 5x. the knot i used is the cinch knot.(spelling?)i have never encountered this before so after replacing almost everything i am kinda stumped at what the issue is. the size of the irresistable adams was maybe a size 10 or 12 i think. what gives????

FishingForLife
08-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Have you thought of throwing some "Gink" on there??

uplander
08-23-2012, 12:47 AM
switch to a lighter tippet and use a loop knot if it really bothers you that much but changing to a lghter tipper should do the trick.

the local angler
08-23-2012, 10:23 AM
gink is that the fly floatant? if so yes i do use that.hmm i will try a loop knot and see if i have a lighter tippet in my arsenal and head back out for testing.

ÜberFly
08-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Yeah try a Palmer knot/Duncan loop. It's the only one I use as it's quick to tie and no fuss no muss when your hands are cold!! Are you tying your knot from the top of the eye down? Or coming up from the bottom? Should be coming from the top down!!

the local angler
08-23-2012, 11:57 AM
yes the line enters the eyelet from the top, i have used only this one knot for almost everything. i will look up these knots on that virtual knots website on how to tie it.

Doc
08-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Curious, are you using fluorocarbon? Mono doesn't sink as quickly as fluorocarbon so better to use mono with dry flies.

the local angler
08-23-2012, 10:56 PM
wow thats interesting did not know that doc thanks for the tip. i was using reg mono and today i went back to the fishing hole for a second trip and picked up some 2x, 3x, 4x, tippet and some tapered leaders in a 3x and various sizes. the 3x i picked up happened to be all they had and was florocarbon and tried it today. it was awsome it fit my need just perfectly. caught a bunch of tiny brookies today on it and 1 surprizing bull trout that hit like a ton of bricks and when i was bringing it in i saw the belly and thought it was a sucker. lol meh first bull trout of the year and first one in like 7 years for me. broke of the new section of florocarbon some how on some rocks but other than that the issue was much less then the other day only cause i was to lazy to to change the leader to the proper one when i was using much smaller flies and such.