PDA

View Full Version : Waterfowl Lakes and Area

blackgriz
08-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Has anyone done any fly-fishing in the Waterfowl Lakes Area of Banff National Park? Heading into the area for a few days and might be driving around looking for some nice holes.

What worked and what didn't?

Thanks in advance

Mountain Guy
08-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Just back from there.
I've only ever heard of decent fishing, and never experienced it myself. I did manage to get a decent cutt-bow in the creek between the lakes tho.

coachman
08-29-2012, 11:47 AM
I learned to fly fish there back in the 80's. 75 to a 100 fish a day in the river going out of the lower lake. Watched a kid land his first fish there, 3 1/2 lb cutty in the lower lake. Landed 3 lb plus rainbows in the upper lake. More lakes within walking distance that I have caught fish in also. Just a nice place to camp and spend time.

Mountain Guy
08-29-2012, 12:51 PM
I learned to fly fish there back in the 80's. 75 to a 100 fish a day in the river going out of the lower lake. Watched a kid land his first fish there, 3 1/2 lb cutty in the lower lake. Landed 3 lb plus rainbows in the upper lake. More lakes within walking distance that I have caught fish in also. Just a nice place to camp and spend time.

Absolutely true.
I wouldn't go there specifically for fishing tho. I think the fishing may have degraded slightly from your time there in the 80's. Back then they probably would have had a stocking program.
I fished the river below the lower lake for an afternoon and not a sniff. Didn't even see one. The water was perfect but not sure where the fish went. Used to be able to bring the kids to the spot close to the highway and get one or two little guys.

Freddydog
08-31-2012, 09:00 PM
This place is dead now. Nice area but crappy fishin. Thanks to parks canada for cancelling stocking.......Now they dont sell fishing licences they charge 140.00 to walk on the property...........