PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing this years plans.

Land-her
08-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Well Summer is almost up and time for fall fishing. With white fish around the corner and hard water coming with a vengeance. What are your plans to ice fish this season, Any Ice fishing derby in southern Alberta to attend?

My plan is to fish the upper bow for white fish, as I read in the regs you are aloud to use maggots.

Next I will be buying a 6 man ice fishing tent with a nice propane heater and with money left over maybe get a Ice fishing camera.

The lakes I want to hit up this year are:

Badger lake, Crawling Valley, Berry Creek, Spray lake, Bearspaw, Upper/lowe kananaskis. Beaver lake and I hope to try Wabaman lake near edmonton.

I would like to catch some alberta brook trout any suggestions?

I would like to meet some fellow fisherman/women for this coming hard water fishing season

BeeGuy
08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
6-man?

Is your old tent too small??

Mutter87
08-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Don't ever start a thread about snow and ice durring summer again, please & Thank you.

Now that we got that out of the way

Badger
Clear
PCR
And who knows what other lakes will hear about along the way, hard to fish new lakes as you don't know where anything is and can't just float around.

Land-her
08-25-2012, 12:23 PM
6-man?

Is your old tent too small??

I have iced fished 1 time out here. I currently have no gear.

Go big or go home.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Pincherguy
08-25-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm ready, still got it all together from last year. I bought one of those clam shelters from Bass Pro, pull it behind my rhino, power auger, just need ice.
Not too soon though.

pelada trochu
08-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Its august dude.

Could someone drop a load of ice cubes in this guys shorts. :snapoutofit:

bloopbloob
08-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Wabamun, wabamun, and Waaaaaahbamin!

WayneChristie
08-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Its august dude.

Could someone drop a load of ice cubes in this guys shorts. :snapoutofit:

X10. you must have moved from the States, we dont get iceup for a few months yet, at least around here. got lots more fish to catch. but I have been saving a lot of baitfish for the pike this winter! :sHa_shakeshout:

NEWB
08-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Wabamun, wabamun, and Waaaaaahbamin!

X 2.

I haven't been ice fishing in years. Any spots I should go? Any spots I shoukd avoid on wabamun?

slivers86
08-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Im going to do a couple over nighters... gotta do better than I did last year!

Ice fishing is too fun with a heater in the tent :)

gl2
08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Nothing beats being on the ice. I can't frikken wait!!!!! Gonna do a big trip to saskabush (probably last mountain)with my usual 2 days a week around the south. I see rapala is extending their ice stuff and am looking forward to beating the cra* out of it. Now if stuiped summer would just end already!!!!!!!!!!

Jbone
08-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Personally I prefer the winter, if we could just get some better ice this year I won't have to do some much walking....
Nothin beats beers smokes and a fish cam in the heated tent

Mutter87
08-26-2012, 05:01 AM
Nothing beats being on the ice. I can't frikken wait!!!!! Gonna do a big trip to saskabush (probably last mountain)with my usual 2 days a week around the south. I see rapala is extending their ice stuff and am looking forward to beating the cra* out of it. Now if stuiped summer would just end already!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you see this???

New Hunter Okotoks
08-26-2012, 05:52 AM
Hey Land-Her. It might be worth a shot to put up a "want to buy" Thread in the "Fishing items for sale" section. You just might be able to get a good deal on a 6 Man tent, heater, etc.

There is also a sticky at the top of the page in the Fishing Section for people looking for fishing partners. There's usually ads posted just about everyday so you should be able to hook up with a few people who are looking for new partners to go out with.

There are a few Derby's that happen throughout the season on some of the Southern Reservoirs. Badger and Newell are 2 of the more Popular ones.

Good luck to you this year. Personally, I can't wait for the season to get here!

JohninAB
08-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Only ice I want to see is in my JD!

Bigdad013
08-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Only ice I want to see is in my JD!

x2

Geezle
08-26-2012, 07:54 AM
I prefer to do my ice fishing in the winter...when there's ice...which is still roughly 3 months away :snapoutofit:

sureshot
08-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Bring on the hard water, can't wait.

Andy

Willowtrail
08-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Go big or go home.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Then you whould invest the extra few bucks and get the Eskimo 9 man. I picked one up last year and that thing is incredible.

As for me and ice fishing this year, its way to early to talk about it. Still 3 months of hunting and fishing.

I'll stick to putting ice in my spiced rum with JohninAB

BGSH
08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
I am going to be ice fishing northwestern Alberta a lot this ice fishing season as well as, Sask and northern B.C's Dease lake, Muncho lake, ECT..

YeeHaw
08-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Building a shack for Wab now, but cant wait to get to northern Sask for some trophy pike, walleye, and rainbows at Montreal, dechambout, and good old Piprell.:sHa_shakeshout:

DaveS
08-26-2012, 11:37 PM
I also can't wait for hard water season to get here! I usually make one of my first trips out in late Nov. to one of the many trout pot holes around Edmonton. Bellis had a lot of promise last winter but couldn't get them to bite. I also hope to make many trips to Pigeon, Gull, Battle and I may even try out Wizard Lake to see what all the fuss is about!

Alberta Bigbore
08-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Bring on the hard water, can't wait.

Andy

Kim473
08-27-2012, 04:56 AM
I plan on lots of hard water this year. May not be able too tho. Key word is PLAN. Gonna get me a 16" + perch, and some whites this year as I found a spot at Gull and finaly got me one last year. I know how to do it now thanks to a lot of tips from forum members here. Gonna get me a few 16" to 20" bows also.

Esox
08-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Stoked for ice season. I'd be alright with just fall and winter all year long. I'm planning on a tobin trip in march, a lake Winnipeg trip sometime in early seAson and possibly a trip to last mountain for eyes and north Dakota for perch. Other than that it will be eye fishing the southern reservoirs, lakers on cold and jumbo perch in sask.

Dewey Cox
08-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Feel free to write me off as a lunatic, but has anyone tried ice fishing in the summer? If you built a floating platform with a hole in the middle and put your ice shack on it to keep it dark, would you be able to see down into the water like in the winter? Not that I want to sit in a black tent in the blazing sun during the already short summer, I've always just wondered if it would work.

CeeZee
08-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Feel free to write me off as a lunatic, but has anyone tried ice fishing in the summer? If you built a floating platform with a hole in the middle and put your ice shack on it to keep it dark, would you be able to see down into the water like in the winter? Not that I want to sit in a black tent in the blazing sun during the already short summer, I've always just wondered if it would work.
Just like making some pontoons for the ice fishing trailer lol

CeeZee
08-27-2012, 08:40 PM
I too am very excited for the upcoming ice season! Got the ice fishing trailer rollin' last winter and its gonna be out as much as it can this winter, hopefully a trip south to newel and some lake a bit north! Can't wait!

matathonman
08-28-2012, 01:04 AM
I am going to be ice fishing northwestern Alberta a lot this ice fishing season as well as, Sask and northern B.C's Dease lake, Muncho lake, ECT..

Sure is nice country up there it is that area in BC.

Fishingaddict
08-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Planning on going to the crawling valley ice fishing derby then going to hit spray thankeho and a few others probably pcr and then clear lake going to be fun:sHa_shakeshout: