PDA

View Full Version : Open Water?

Bogman10
04-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Has Anyone found open water in any of the "potholes" around Edmonton?
Thx in advance!

Morph1
04-25-2008, 09:37 AM
I did, already on April 13th lol, but sorry if I told you I would have to cut your tongue out, been there twice and caught some nice bows flyfishing.
It's around Wabamun area - that's all I can say., do some research and perhaps you may get lucky.

Cheers !

mark-edmonton
04-25-2008, 11:45 AM
new to fly fishing.. was wondering the same. Have monday and tuesday off want to try and learn to cast. Live in north edmonton. Any news on open water? cardiff, east pit, hasse.

Please any and all advise will be put to use. What type of flies are best for early season.

Ayr
04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Morph1,

You asked for and received some good info on your Vancouver Island post elsewhere on this forum. I bet that will help you a lot and save you a tonne of time when you head out there.

Can you imagine how frustrating it would have been if the only answer you got to your question back was;

Morph1 wrote;

I did, already on April 13th lol, but sorry if I told you I would have to cut your tongue out, been there twice and caught some nice bows flyfishing.
It's around Wabamun area - that's all I can say., do some research and perhaps you may get lucky.

This place works better as a give and take scenario, not just take. I don't think that there are any "secret" potholes around Wab...........and it would be nice to know where there is some open water. No big deal.

Ayr.

Morph1
04-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Ayr, sorry my friend but it's like asking for a gold bar in frozen Alberta,
I did a lot of driving and put on quite a bit kilometers to find this place,
and it is not secret in all means, there are alberta fishing forums where the place is very common, and it's not even a pothole lake - tip, it's a small stocked pond.

Now regarding my Vancouver Island fishing post I asked a general question,
I haven't asked, hey guys where could I score the biggest bow, what specific lake and what location. I have never been to Vancouver and I don't have any idea about fresh water fishing there. as I'll get there so will do some exploring as I will be staying there for 2 weeks, and I will check the local lakes that I got a general idea in my post.

btw. the small pond is great for fly fishing and can not accommodate a crowd,
do some research of stocked trout ponds around Wabamun area and I am sure will find it.

Hasse, East Pit, Spring, Obed all frozen shut :(

Happy fishing,

Cheers!

Bogman10
04-25-2008, 12:52 PM
new to fly fishing.. was wondering the same. Have monday and tuesday off want to try and learn to cast. Live in north edmonton. Any news on open water? cardiff, east pit, hasse.

Please any and all advise will be put to use. What type of flies are best for early season.

Just Drove out to both Cardiff and Mornville pond, still frozen ,however the was 20yrds of open water ( not sure if it was flood water ) that the Canadian geese were bobbing on.
I know it sounds goofy, but if you practise on the lawn , school yard etc.. its easier to learn then on the water, just ty on a small piece of red/white yarn so you can see where your fly is ending up.
I live in Edmonton too, and if you want, pm me and I would be happy to meet up with you at Cardiff ( good place to practise ) and show you a few things, IF WE EVER GET OPEN WATER!!!!!!
You picked a great site. I took up hunting last year, and the guys on this site where extremely helpfull, and I would welcome the chance to pass on some of my own knowledge.
I can also show you how tie fly's too!

Ayr
04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
No worries Morph1,

There is some confusion though, because the question was;

"Has Anyone found open water in any of the "potholes" around Edmonton?
Thx in advance!"

And your response was;

"I did, already on April 13th lol, but sorry if I told you I would have to cut your tongue out, been there twice and caught some nice bows flyfishing."

So you can see how I guy would think it was a pothole that we were discussing. If it is a small stocked pond than I can understand how you might want to keep that to yourself, I might too. In the future by all means keep it to yourself because right now it reads;

I know where open water is and you don't :tongue2: :tongue2: . I am having fun catching fish on a fly and you can't :tongue2: :wave: :lol: .

If I am reading it wrong, my appologies,

Cheers,

Ayr.

FisherPotch
04-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Funny stuff guys. I'm just wondering what the difference between a pothole and a stocked pond would be? I'm itching to make use of my new fly gear and somewhere localish would be nice as i'm driving to CGY to hit the bow this weekend and gas prices are rediculous.

If it's a pot hole with bows obviously it's been stocked at some point, but now i'm confused.

Dark
04-25-2008, 01:04 PM
I pm'ed you

Morph1
04-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey Ayr, it's all good , nobody got hurt :lol: ,

and out of all this I completely forgot for the past 5 days we had temperatures way below zero during nights, I bet the pond froze over :mad3: , and trully saying I would love to share info on this one but I just bite my tongue here.
Last year I bet the pond was open in the middle of March,, I was there on the 13th of april this year and it was half open, me and a buddy of mine had a blast.
If Cardiff has some open water thats a great place to cast a fly.
and practicing just casting you can do in the park anywheres.
I had my first casts at Cardiff and it was embarrasing as hell, thanks God I was there alone....
I maybe going to that pond on Sunday, if anyone wanna tag along, just pm me, but, ya gonna have to be blind folded though just before Wabamun :lol:

Cheers !

Bogman10
04-25-2008, 06:13 PM

Anything "Green" works at Cardiff. Doc Sprattly's ( home tied ) size 8-12 work most of the time for me. Prince nymphs , wooley buggers, Gold ribbed hairs ears, 52 buicks also do well. Dry Fly's are fun for catching tweekers, adams 16-20 tiny chroni's floating in the surface film is good too.
Lawn first, Cardiff next. Don't get discuraged and don't worry about the Zillion "wind knots ", and "Tree limbs" you are bound to get ( we all did our 1st time or 2 out ). It get easier.
I would be happy to meet up at cardiff If the ice ever melts.
Good luck and stick with it, it is by far the most fun way to catch a rainbow! ( they got perch in there too, keep them , they aren't suppose to be there )
Ciao
Ps best advice I ever got from the teacher of the course I took, don't false cast alot when you just start out!

BlueNorther
04-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm about to bust.Last year at this time I already had a dozen trips out to some pothole lakes.Thinkin tomorrow I may just take a chance and head out east of my place to Severn and see if there's any open water.I've been tying flies till I'm cross eyed,now I want to use em!

mud slug
04-25-2008, 06:56 PM
was out by lake eden today its open on one side about 30 feet

johnny2
04-28-2008, 01:54 AM
MUD-SLUG --do you know if there is access at Lake Eden???