PDA

View Full Version : Halibut closure?

Jamie
08-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Sport Fishing institute of BC is now saying the Halibut season will close on September 9.

If last year is any indication, all your favorite Hali boats are going to be booked up ASAP in order to get in a final go round of these fantastic eating fish.

If your even thinking about going in September, I would encourage you to book ASAP. (Providing the below info is correct).

I have some availability in the next week, but it would be on a Day charter basis only, as our Lodge is closing for the season tomorrow. How ever if you had 4 or more in your group, we could work out something.

Day charter rates are only $300/person based on 4 per boat. Salmon is still hot and going to get hotter as the fish continue to grow in size.

Take a read below and give me a call if we can be of any assistance.

Thanks
Jamie

August 23, 2012

Halibut 2012

The Labour Day long weekend is nearly upon us, and unfortunately we must report that DFO will soon be announcing the closure of the recreational halibut fishery in BC. After some discussion, DFO has concluded that recreational anglers will have caught their 15% allocation effective September 9th, 2012. While we can't disagree with their catch projections, and are disappointed that the management measure utilized to slow harvest, the one normal size one under 83cm experiment, was not nearly successful as hoped, we can only interpret the closure as further evidence of the failure of the allocation model.

Sadly, the decision will have a significant impact on hundreds of charter boat operators in coastal communities who will sacrifice significant economic opportunities for a modest catch reduction.

Last year's closure announcement came days before the long weekend and resulted in a spike in catch effort that created an unanticipated catch overage for the recreational sector. This was to be expected when one considers that anglers legitimately wanted to get one last chance at fishing before the season was closed. Unfortunately DFO seems poised to repeat this mistake.

We will undoubtedly spend much of the winter working to find new approaches to dealing with halibut allocation.

For more information contact:

Sport Fishing Institute of BC

t: 604.946.0734

w:www.sportfishing.bc.ca

e: info@sportfishing.bc.ca

The SFI Team,
Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia

FishingMOM
08-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Great you still have spots open, terrible for anyone wanting hali after Sept 9. Sure hope guys/gals can take you up on your openings!

Sport Fishing institute of BC is now saying the Halibut season will close on September 9.

If last year is any indication, all your favorite Hali boats are going to be booked up ASAP in order to get in a final go round of these fantastic eating fish.

If your even thinking about going in September, I would encourage you to book ASAP. (Providing the below info is correct).

I have some availability in the next week, but it would be on a Day charter basis only, as our Lodge is closing for the season tomorrow. How ever if you had 4 or more in your group, we could work out something.

Day charter rates are only $300/person based on 4 per boat. Salmon is still hot and going to get hotter as the fish continue to grow in size.

Take a read below and give me a call if we can be of any assistance.

Thanks
Jamie

Peterupnorth
08-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Couple weeks ago I booked the 5th and was told it could be that halibut would be closed at the end of the long weekend. I took a chance, deciding to combine the trip with a day of river salmon. Then spotted this message on another forum so was relieved. (Though haven't seen official notice yet)
Nevertheless after reading some of the info on what happened last year, decided to fire out a letter to the Minister and my MP (who I will be meeting on Tuesday). I don't pretend to totally understand all the sordid details about these quota's, but AT LEAST give the people/guides a month's notice!

I really fear that this could end up going the way of the eastern cod fish!

Jamie
08-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Couple weeks ago I booked the 5th and was told it could be that halibut would be closed at the end of the long weekend. I took a chance, deciding to combine the trip with a day of river salmon. Then spotted this message on another forum so was relieved. (Though haven't seen official notice yet)
Nevertheless after reading some of the info on what happened last year, decided to fire out a letter to the Minister and my MP (who I will be meeting on Tuesday). I don't pretend to totally understand all the sordid details about these quota's, but AT LEAST give the people/guides a month's notice!

I really fear that this could end up going the way of the eastern cod fish!

Peter.. Thanks for the help!! Good luck on your trip. Where are you heading to?

Jamie

Peterupnorth
08-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Jamie, I did quite a bit of reading on the net regarding this whole quota issue and my perception is that some time ago somebody in a high place did something that shouldn't have been done (I am being polite), and now our politicians are going to have to somehow deal with it. I think the trick is to keep the pressure on so that the issue just doesn't get pushed aside to fester.
From what I read there are people who have halibut quota and don't even fish, but "lease" it out to others. That's outright BS! And even though we are residents of a land locked plateau, it doesn't hurt for our MP to get a poke on it.
I encourage other forum members, particularly those who do saltwater fishing to do the same.
I'll PM you on my upcoming trip.
Peter.

spork007
08-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Went fishing to Homer, AK this summer for halibut. Boat captain said the DOF is going to change the keep limit from 2 fish to 1, and only smaller fish will be kept. He rightly predicts that this will kill sports fishing for Halibut in Alaska. No one is going to go up there for a 10 pound fish. There are solutions, though. Same captain worked on a commercial boat. The by catch of halibut which they toss i back dead is mind boggling. He said that those by catches should be given to commercial long liners who target halibut to help make their quota. Everybody wins. But, it'll never happen.