PDA

View Full Version : 225lb Halibut and Monster Lingcod

Serengeti Charters
08-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey guys,

Thought I'd update you, salmon fishing has been very strong lately, especially for Coho, they are getting big with average size about 12-13lbs and non stop action when targetting them. Chinook numbers have started to die off as of about 2 days ago, but every Chinook you hook into is big! One over 40lbs is being brought in every day, and my Dad and his guest from Texas lost one over 60lbs in the same day as losing one over 40lbs and catching a 41lb Chinook, and 32lb Chinook yesterday (saw them all).

Today I targeted bottomfish, and it was one heck of a day. We got a limit of 15 Lingcod with 4 over 30lbs including a 56lber, and lost one about 50lbs at the boat, ALL the big ones were caught by them grabbing smaller lingcod and holding on the whole way up, none actually had a hook in them. Then we caught limit of Yelloweye (Snapper) and a 65lb Halibut...then our monster came along. Rick hooked into the beast and it just started peeling line, it must of peeled off about 300-400ft before it stopped and we started to gain on it. Up from the deeps it arose after about 30-40min and we saw the giant. I explained to Rick it was a breeding female and he decided to keep it but to stop fishing for halibut for the day and only take 2 instead of 4 for the group (we were about to anchor up on a spot I always get fish over 100lbs and he decided he did not need anymore halibut to eat...which was an awesome, sporty decision on his part). Harpoon went into the halibut and it took the scotchman wayyy down deep and about a minute later it popped up, I grabbed it and it took me and Rick all we had to pull it in the boat, even my 175 earlier in the year I could do by myself, not this beast.

It measured out at 77inches, which should equate to 244lbs but after it was all said and done it was about 225lbs, still, a very big halibut that is rarely seen in most places.

Great day, here are the pictures!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Fishing%202012/EndofAugustFishing010.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Fishing%202012/EndofAugustFishing006.jpg

56lbs
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Fishing%202012/EndofAugustFishing012.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Fishing%202012/EndofAugustFishing015.jpg

Scotty P.
08-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Wow!:scared0015: that is a big Halibut. Great pics, thanks for posting!

the local angler
08-26-2012, 12:09 AM
right on jamie you guys are awsome. next time i might have take you up on one of your charters seeings how i was disappointed in a last min charter i took with a friend in north vancouver and was the only thing on short notice like the next day. lol i got my first sockeye and lost one chinook and that was the entire day. the only other excitement was when one rod snagged a commercial crab trap line that the bouy marker was 2 feet under the surface and all hell broke loose as the skipper hit reverse and tried to untangle the one line. then all hell broke loose for a second time as we were untangling the one line the other 3 got sucked into the prop and not just the line on the rods downriggers cables and all. over all it was a good first time charter experience. we had other boats calling in with the same issues about the crab trap lines sitting below the surface when we had our mishap so good thing we were not the only ones going through this. lol

diamond k
08-26-2012, 01:58 AM
The lodge that we have been at for the past couple of years would not have let us keep that fish.Any hali over 100lbs go back to conserve fishery. It is a little disapointing that he kept a big breeding female with a hali closure upcoming due to numbers. He will probably be sorry when the fish tastes like wood when a nice 30lb fish would have tasted fantastic.

Serengeti Charters
08-26-2012, 07:20 AM
I think that's a wrong approach to not let him keep it. He is paying good money for the trip and if he wants to keep a fish that is a once in a lifetime fish, who am I to say no. And do the commercial fisherman throw it back? No. Also, it is largely a myth large ones taste poor, although I will say large lingcod do not taste as good as smaller ones. We ate a 150lber earlier in the year and it was delicious, they are slightly harder to cook, and some people mess this up, and that's where the bad taste rumour must of evolved from. Also, definitely not jamie :lol:

TBark
08-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Good job David.

TBark

elnino54
08-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Nice report Dave !!

That is a massive Hali........How many have you seen over the 200lb mark ?

And those Lings are something else too........I kinda prefer those to Halibut myself....

Cheers Craig

Alberta Bigbore
08-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Great looking fish, must be a fun battle on a rod!

Kim473
08-27-2012, 04:47 AM
How many pounds of fillets would you get out of a 100 lb Halli ?

Sundancefisher
08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
How many pounds of fillets would you get out of a 100 lb Halli ?

Great fishing.

Figure 60% return from a halibut.

wildman
08-27-2012, 09:02 AM
u owe me one of THOSE next time we come see ya dogg!!!!
i'd prefer one about half that for eating quality tho!!! :P

e40water12
08-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Just ugly looking fish, But they taste awesome. Congrats on your Catches ;).

Mark
08-28-2012, 02:03 PM
The lodge that we have been at for the past couple of years would not have let us keep that fish.Any hali over 100lbs go back to conserve fishery. It is a little disapointing that he kept a big breeding female with a hali closure upcoming due to numbers. He will probably be sorry when the fish tastes like wood when a nice 30lb fish would have tasted fantastic.
I so agree. I think its very short sighted philosophy to keep the big females. I really don't care what everyone else does (including commercial fisheries), we all need to do our part to protect our resource. If everybody feels entitled to take a to take a vital part of our resource, just because they paid for it... our resources is in seriously jeopardy. I thought we were SPORT fisherman (or women to be politically correct). Targeting the big girls, and catching the big girls can be fun. But catch and release the big girls and keep. I have no the smaller fish (under 60lbs) to home. The big girls are almost one in million and definitely not that plentiful (I don't know the actually stats, but making a point) and should be cherished and protected.) Regardless what the commercial industry does..
I go salmon fishing every year, often twice, however, I won't support an lodge or outfitter that has the policy of keeping the big girls. I feel at least I can do my part. But that's my opinion and philosophy.

That's just my opinion and 2cents

Wannacast
08-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Being pulled up from the depths of the ocean would a halibut even survive if it were released?

I know nothing about saltwater sorry :)

Serengeti Charters
08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
I so agree. I think its very short sighted philosophy to keep the big females. I really don't care what everyone else does (including commercial fisheries), we all need to do our part to protect our resource. If everybody feels entitled to take a to take a vital part of our resource, just because they paid for it... our resources is in seriously jeopardy. I thought we were SPORT fisherman (or women to be politically correct). Targeting the big girls, and catching the big girls can be fun. But catch and release the big girls and keep. I have no the smaller fish (under 60lbs) to home. The big girls are almost one in million and definitely not that plentiful (I don't know the actually stats, but making a point) and should be cherished and protected.) Regardless what the commercial industry does..
I go salmon fishing every year, often twice, however, I won't support an lodge or outfitter that has the policy of keeping the big girls. I feel at least I can do my part. But that's my opinion and philosophy.

That's just my opinion and 2cents

If you won't support a lodge that allows their guests to keep a halibut that is 100% legal after being informed of its implications etc, then that's just plain silly. If someone paid $2150 for 3 days fishing as they would with us, and I said, no, you can't keep this fish you are legally actually allowed to keep and its a once in a lifetime fish, plus it tastes good, then that is just plain stupid and I know if I was the guest in that scenario I certainly wouldn't be coming back.

I've already dealt with the haters and online "conservationists" in the past 175lb halibut forum...if you don't like it, don't look at the thread, and don't comment. Your comments will certainly not change how we do business and treat our guests with the ability to keep whatever they like, or release whatever they like within the law. We are about 85% booked for 2013 already, so obviously we are doing something very right, and our passion for fishing and fishing sustainably comes through as our guests comment on it often. We have the best fishing on the coast, and the most untouched halibut ground quite possibly on the coast as well.

mike_samoil
08-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Mark worry about the people breaking the law, not abiding by it. These guys are doing a great job. don't read these threads if you can't appreciate them

savagencounter
08-29-2012, 06:40 AM
As said before these guides only care about the cash. Awesome limited out 8 guys a day with every possible species every day of the season. No worries the ocean has an unlimited amount of fish. Who cares if it takes 50 years to get that big. We got paid. And if you don't think the guides harvest as much of not more than the commercial your on glue. These guys are digging their own graves once there fished out that's it. To bad the guides can't show some restraint on large breeders. But more important the yellow eye and lings that take 20 plus years to reach a decent size. Great catch however. Getting sick of the bragging about daily full limits x 8 guys per how many boats? Sounds like a free for all. At least the commercial have strict limits. Hopefully they leave a few for the non guided fishermen. Don't get why they can harvest unlimited amounts of slow growing species.

Serengeti Charters
08-29-2012, 07:33 AM
As said before these guides only care about the cash. Awesome limited out 8 guys a day with every possible species every day of the season. No worries the ocean has an unlimited amount of fish. Who cares if it takes 50 years to get that big. We got paid. And if you don't think the guides harvest as much of not more than the commercial your on glue. These guys are digging their own graves once there fished out that's it. To bad the guides can't show some restraint on large breeders. But more important the yellow eye and lings that take 20 plus years to reach a decent size. Great catch however. Getting sick of the bragging about daily full limits x 8 guys per how many boats? Sounds like a free for all. At least the commercial have strict limits. Hopefully they leave a few for the non guided fishermen. Don't get why they can harvest unlimited amounts of slow growing species.

*eyeroll* this is a clear example of someone not knowing what they are talking about. Unlimited? Every species has limits on them, the areas we fish we are literally the only ones fishing them along wth one other boat. Plus Lingcod are not slow growing species like snapper, they actually grow fairly fast until they reach a certain size.

And :lol: ya, guides catch more than commercial guys! This shows everything you say is completely made up. My buddy whose a commercial just caught 100,000lbs of rockfish in one 3 day trip...that's one boat. So much misinformation being spewed out by those that do not know the fishery.

Dwils
08-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Have you ever fished out in the ocean? There are lots of fish to go around and if a charter, make that any charter company is operating legally then yes there're guests should be able to keep whatever the limit is. If you want to go and pay the money that they are charging and practice catch and release then go right ahead. Meanwhile dont get upset when someone posts something that is entirely within the law!

Mark
08-29-2012, 01:14 PM
If you won't support a lodge that allows their guests to keep a halibut that is 100% legal after being informed of its implications etc, then that's just plain silly. If someone paid $2150 for 3 days fishing as they would with us, and I said, no, you can't keep this fish you are legally actually allowed to keep and its a once in a lifetime fish, plus it tastes good, then that is just plain stupid and I know if I was the guest in that scenario I certainly wouldn't be coming back.

I've already dealt with the haters and online "conservationists" in the past 175lb halibut forum...if you don't like it, don't look at the thread, and don't comment. Your comments will certainly not change how we do business and treat our guests with the ability to keep whatever they like, or release whatever they like within the law. We are about 85% booked for 2013 already, so obviously we are doing something very right, and our passion for fishing and fishing sustainably comes through as our guests comment on it often. We have the best fishing on the coast, and the most untouched halibut ground quite possibly on the coast as well.

Last time I check its still a free country, and I'm still allowed my opinion and my perspective, and free to read what I choose. Plus I don't believe I should be silent just because my perspective differs from yours. Anymore that you need to be silent if you disagree with me.

I only gave you my opinion and my stance, and made no comments in regards to the success of your operation. BTW I'm not a hater, and I have MY PERSCEPTIVE on conservation and follow my conscious. Plus I fully support someone harvesting fishing for the table.

At bit touchy aren't we.... and more than a bit defensive..

Anyway, as I said...
its only my 2 cent and my opinion.... It a discussion board open to all points of view.... or at least I thought that was....

WorldClass
08-29-2012, 01:24 PM
I'd have kept it, and probably wouldn't need to return to the ocean to catch another for a few years. maybe in that time another big breeder will be ready.

SNAPFisher
08-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks Dave for sharing the amazing pics and story. Very cool!

SNAPFisher
08-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Last time I check its still a free country, and I'm still allowed my opinion and my perspective, and free to read what I choose. Plus I don't believe I should be silent just because my perspective differs from yours. Anymore that you need to be silent if you disagree with me.

I only gave you my opinion and my stance, and made no comments in regards to the success of your operation. BTW I'm not a hater, and I have MY PERSCEPTIVE on conservation and follow my conscious. Plus I fully support someone harvesting fishing for the table.

At bit touchy aren't we.... and more than a bit defensive..

Anyway, as I said...
its only my 2 cent and my opinion.... It a discussion board open to all points of view.... or at least I thought that was....

Okay Mark, you should read what you write and think of the reader. A comment like:

I won't support an lodge or outfitter that has the policy of keeping the big girls.

So how is that supposed to be taken? Wake up. How about starting your own "save the big hali" thread and show some respect. And you stating your opinion to someone who takes clients out and operates within the law shows how classless and clueless comments like yours are. You do realize the client made the choice don't you and not Dave? So, now your firing back again, failing to see your ignorance in the first place. Do you think it is even better on the 2nd shovel full?

As for savangencounter, :sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_sarcasticlol:
A positive for Mark is that someone exists with so much ignorance to make him look like a small fish in a sea of bs.

smith88
08-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Okay Mark, you should read what you write and think of the reader. A comment like:

So how is that supposed to be taken? Wake up. How about starting your own "save the big hali" thread and show some respect. And you stating your opinion to someone who takes clients out and operates within the law shows how classless and clueless comments like yours are. You do realize the client made the choice don't you and not Dave? So, now your firing back again, failing to see your ignorance in the first place. Do you think it is even better on the 2nd shovel full? I didn't read anything disrespectful,

I agree 100% with Mark. Sure, get the fish to the surface, take some pictures and let her go. It maybe a once in a lifetime fish, but why should it be for just one person? And for future generations probably.

And for the tasting good part, sure just like mutton or a big old rutting mule deer buck....

Oh and Serengeti, savage was being sarcastic, if you didn't catch that.

SNAPFisher
08-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I didn't read anything disrespectful,

I agree 100% with Mark. Sure, get the fish to the surface, take some pictures and let her go. It maybe a once in a lifetime fish, but why should it be for just one person? And for future generations probably.

And for the tasting good part, sure just like mutton or a big old rutting mule deer buck....

Oh and Serengeti, savage was being sarcastic, if you didn't catch that.

Wow, its like talking to a bunch of walls. If I had the choice, I would let a big hali like that go too. Duh! Point is, this thread was about success in guiding someone to a big hali. Have you ever caught a hali that big?

And, as I pointed out strongly, Mark came across as kind of an ***** when he posted about not supporting any lodge or outfitter that encourages keeping big fish. This on a thread from an actual outfitter. Get it?

Lastly, I know for a fact that Dave and his dad would prefer if their clients release a big hali like that but they sure as hell are not going to make their clients do that. You can understand that too can't you?

Sorry Dave, I problably didn't help posting all over this thead. Sigh...

Serengeti Charters
08-31-2012, 12:17 AM
:lol: Thanks buddy, appreciate the support, looking forward to your trip next Aug with your dad.

My Dad and I had guests release 5 over 100lbs this year. Also, as for the breeding stock, this guest had he released this would of then targetted the 50-100lbers, and caught 4 more as within his groups legal limit, those fish on average produce approx. 1,000,000 eggs each, whereas one around 200lbs produces 2.5mill-2.75mill eggs, so really had we went after the other fish we would have been killing more potential halibut than by just keeping the one 225lber, enough halibut for the group.

This is silly however, the guest decided he wanted to keep it, so we kept it. This is his choice as the guest, and I fully respect his decision :) Keep the flaming to some other threads, or make your own.

VanIslander
08-31-2012, 12:24 AM
I have no problem with taking legal fishing quotas as long as he eats every last lb of it.

Much like dinner at Grandmas. Don't take it unless you're gonna eat it.

Mark
08-31-2012, 01:21 PM

So how is that supposed to be taken? Wake up. How about starting your own "save the big hali" thread and show some respect. And you stating your opinion to someone who takes clients out and operates within the law shows how classless and clueless comments like yours are. You do realize the client made the choice don't you and not Dave? So, now your firing back again, failing to see your ignorance in the first place. Do you think it is even better on the 2nd shovel full?

As for savangencounter, :sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_sarcasticlol:
A positive for Mark is that someone exists with so much ignorance to make him look like a small fish in a sea of bs.

Geez I guess nobody should have an opinion that differs from yours.........
And why does is always have to get personal.......... I guess if you insult me and try to bring me down it make your or your position look better........
Anyway......each to his own.......

mike_samoil
08-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Just a question, how do you boat such a large hali with out a harpoon ? I fished up in Rupert this year and the 65pounder we caught went nuts in the boat even after it had been harpooned. So my next question is how do go about taking a safe picture without harpooning it ?

Serengeti Charters
08-31-2012, 11:24 PM
To each their own, whether releasing or keeping the larger halibut. Just no need to insult those who make a choice different than yours.

spopadyn
09-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Just saw this thread - that is an awesome friggin fish. Also, I kept a hali that was 102 pounds - it tasted great. And, as always, it is up to the guest. Personally, we have enough rules let the guy decide what he wants to do with his fish. Super cool photo.

As well, I think all the guys who believe in catch and release on big springs are smoking too much weed. A 50 pound spring will fight to its death and once you get it beside the boat, it is done. I am always surprised to here of a 70 or 80 pound spring being released - pretty sure they swim away and die. I guess a lucky seal gets a free lunch!

Sundancefisher
09-07-2012, 01:25 PM
I think that's a wrong approach to not let him keep it. He is paying good money for the trip and if he wants to keep a fish that is a once in a lifetime fish, who am I to say no. And do the commercial fisherman throw it back? No. Also, it is largely a myth large ones taste poor, although I will say large lingcod do not taste as good as smaller ones. We ate a 150lber earlier in the year and it was delicious, they are slightly harder to cook, and some people mess this up, and that's where the bad taste rumour must of evolved from. Also, definitely not jamie :lol:

X2

I am a strong proponent of putting big ones back but the fact is the regs limitations actually encourages it...they taste ok and commercial guys don't give a tweet.

225lber at 60% meat yield = 135 lbs at $18/lb store bought = $2430.

This type of fishing is more meat than sport.

Sun

P.S. My halibut derby prize is closest to 55 lbs without going over. I instituted this to encourage keeping a smaller one but the facts is a monster halibut is a fish of a lifetime. My two biggest is 77 lb and 138 lb.

Sundancefisher
09-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Sure, get the fish to the surface, take some pictures and let her go.

Just a question, how do you boat such a large hali with out a harpoon ? I fished up in Rupert this year and the 65pounder we caught went nuts in the boat even after it had been harpooned. So my next question is how do go about taking a safe picture without harpooning it ?

It is not possible to do safely snap photos with a big halibut or even bring one into a boat. They can kill you...blow out the transom...or just seriously injure you. You harpoon them...beat the crap out of them. Then drag them into the boat and hog tie them. Later on take a photo before it gets cleaned.

The only way I have released larger halis is to cut the line or use a gaff to slip the hook out before it swims back down. They are not like rockfish and go down to the bottom fast!

That being said... in a perfect world...yes...lifting it up beside the boat...posing and letting her go would be nice. Nice to have a picture.

...But for anyone that has caught a big hali knows...as soon as the head hits the surface...they are not happy campers and 110% muscle fish frieght trains

Sundancefisher
09-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Just saw this thread - that is an awesome friggin fish. Also, I kept a hali that was 102 pounds - it tasted great. And, as always, it is up to the guest. Personally, we have enough rules let the guy decide what he wants to do with his fish. Super cool photo.

As well, I think all the guys who believe in catch and release on big springs are smoking too much weed. A 50 pound spring will fight to its death and once you get it beside the boat, it is done. I am always surprised to here of a 70 or 80 pound spring being released - pretty sure they swim away and die. I guess a lucky seal gets a free lunch!

There are enough catch and tag science minded tournaments that releasing chinooks to show catch and release does work. You are right however...over playing them then poorly releasing them in the right circumstances will only feed a seal, sea lion, shark or orca.