PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo Leeches

quad_hopper
04-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Does anyone have a clue where to get jumbo leeches this time of year in or around Calgary???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....

Chris K
04-24-2008, 09:15 PM
You won't be seeing any yet, as it's just too early in the season, and trapping has not yet begun. Most of the leeches that are used in Alberta come from Minnesota, and most of their state, well all of it is still covered in ice. There is always leeches available for the opener in Southern Alberta so in the next few weeks they should start showing up. Chris K

quad_hopper
04-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I figured as much. Just thought I'd try...

Congrats on being selected to the PWT Can-am tourney.....

KyleM
04-25-2008, 04:26 PM
I know leeches are banned for import into Ontario.

Im not sure bout Alberta but I figured it would be the same???

It made finding them very tough last year in Ontario, I loved using them
for pickeral and bass.

Chris K
04-25-2008, 06:30 PM
In Ontario it's illegal to import leeches and they must come from within the province. I hate it when I go to Lake Of The Woods and can't get good leeches, as the biggest I have been able to get out in Kenora are 150 to 160 count to a pound. It's legal to import Leeches into Alberta so until the government screws that up we will be able to get good quality bait. Trapping is hard, and takes a lot of work to find productive places with good sized bait, and I only know this because that's what the guys who I know who do this in Saskatchewan tell me, and I have a couple of sources for bait when I fish there. A few lakes around Regina are ice free (so I would assume some of their leech ponds would be ice free), and some of the guys there will begin trapping very soon, and you might be able to get bait a bit sooner from Southern Saskatchewan. Thanks for the congrats on being selected for the PWT CanAm Super Pro, I appreciate it very much. I am really looking forward to heading to Dryden and fishing Lake Wabigoon and doing the best I can for Team Canada. Best fishes, Chris K

quad_hopper
05-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Anyone get leeches in the Calgary area or know of any yet????

sbtennex
05-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Obviously we're not in the Calgary area but we catch our own here. They'll be out very soon. Hard to believe how durable they are - easy to keep. Still can't handle them in the boat without forceps though. Must be some childhood repressed thing!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-06-2008, 11:42 PM
My jumbo leaches come in a tub cost about 22.00 dollers and the fish GULp them down:lol: :lol: :lol:

slingshot
05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
I was told there are numerous breads of these guys and some fish like and others they dont.Can anyone tell me if this is true or not.If you could catch your own what would you use and where in a body of water would be best assuming most central lakes have them

Tako
05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/Random-Flies-ML.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/Random-Flies-VL.jpg

:D Problem solved :D

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Thems are really nice wolly buggers .

tchow
05-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Leeches are available at Fishing Hole in Calgary now. Just picked up 1 lb today. Gotta hurry if you want get any as Tourney guys are snapping them up for the Ridge Tourney. Good luck to all at Ridge!!