PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go for my first voyage with the new boat

tonypower
08-26-2012, 05:46 PM
So I have Monday off and I am torn between Wab and lac st.Anne. Where should I go?

YeeHaw
08-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Go to Wab, cristen your boat properly with the slime of a big slough shark all over your new interior.

pike_king780
08-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Go to Wab, cristen your boat properly with the slime of a big slough shark all over your new interior.

X2

tonypower
08-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Ya that's where I am headed. Will be out on the lake buy 930. Anyone know how the fishing has been lately. Or and good spots to explore in the new rig.

BigIrv
08-26-2012, 09:19 PM

X3!
Besides to much green crap in Lac Ste Anne.

Have fun!!

EZM
08-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Wab X 3

Fishing has been pretty decent actually. A little slower, but trophypikehunter and I got out last week and nailed a few dozen. Nothing too big this time though.

I'd launch your new rig out a seba and work that end of the lake. With a rig that size it should be pretty easy (shallower over there at that launch). PM and I can direct you a few decent spots on that end.

tonypower
08-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. I got out there at about 930. Had an issue getting the motor started. Lol I put the fuel line on the tank on backwards. So after a half hour and a lot of pulling, I finally got it going. I fished by the power plant for most of the day trying to figure out what the best trolling speed was. All and all it was kinda slow only got 4 in the boat. Lol I really need a fish finder. If anyone has one cheap you want to get rid of send me a pm. Boat leaks a little I think it might be the drain plug.
Oh one last thing. I am not very good at backing up my trailer so if the two guys that had to wait for me try and figure it out are on here, I apologize lol

EZM
08-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Best trolling speed on Wab for pike is 2.2 to 3 mph almst any season, almost any water temp. Get your gear down using diving plugs 7-15' running and you will hammer fish.

Find the structure and drop off and you will find the fish.

as far as backing your boat in two things - be deliberate and go slow - remember it takes a while for your trailer to come around so don't over steer - takes a little practice. You will get it pretty quick.

tonypower
08-27-2012, 08:31 PM
How can I measure the speed I am going in an aluminum with out a speedometer? If I buy a fish finder will it tell me the speed? These may be stupid questions, but I thought I would ask.

jungleboy
08-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Gps

untaken_moniker
08-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Tony, if you have a smart phone there are several free speedometer apps that work pretty decent. Thats what I use when im out on the water. Pretty accurate within 1-2 km/h. Best of luck

Doug

tonypower
08-28-2012, 07:39 AM
I never thought of that. Thanks Doug! I will search on my iPhone. That will help. I think I was going to slow because I kept hitting the weeds.

Willowtrail
08-28-2012, 07:59 AM
The Navionics app will give you your speed plus map your path and record it. Good for when you hit a hot spot as well.

-JR-
08-28-2012, 08:12 AM
That's all you need is a cheap fish finder when fishing under 20 ft . I fished with guys with high end fish finder and the only thing that is used is the dept reading and to look for drop offs.
Get your self a new one for a round $100. and take it off come fall as transducer are only rated for minus 20 degrees then they break around 30 -44 degrees.

To figure out best speed while using spoons , watch a spoon in the water beside your boat. Some spoon will not spin at low speeds, Take mid size spoon # 0 or #00 and when it starts to spin go with that speed. trying a large spoon and you will see it will not spin at that speed.
If you go to fast a fish will swallow the hook deeper and it will be hard to remove the hook , and when slow , the hook will be just in their lips.
Slower speed will get your hook lower down where you want it.
You can never go to slow when it spins ,just keep it above the weed line.