PDA

View Full Version : Logging in whitetail habitat

Tyangelo
08-27-2012, 11:10 AM
One of the crown locations I hunt has undergone some logging this summer. The good news, is that it widens some intersections on cutlines etc, but as the rifle season is firing up in a few weeks, what can I expect to see in repect to any changes in whitetail behavior?

IR_mike
08-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Expect more wt's in the future.

Sled Ed
08-27-2012, 12:11 PM
lots of them will move out but in a few years when the new growth takes a hold the deer will move back in 3 x

jaylow?
08-27-2012, 02:11 PM
last year one of the crown areas we hunt often was logged most of the summer , there was way more whitetail and moose sighted later on , probably due to the fresh young growth everywhere. the brush piles make awesome cover to hunt from.

Sooner
08-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Imo, the deer may move out this yr but will be back next yr once the new grass etc starts growing. But keep your eyes open, where I hunt north of calling lake, we seen lots of wt in the new cuts. I have even seen bucks chasing does in one corner and a log loader working in the other. Once the rut hits it dont matter if its new or not.

Speckle55
08-27-2012, 02:17 PM
:thinking-006:Not much they will use the same trails across the cut they use in the forest

imo

David:)

JohninAB
08-27-2012, 02:17 PM
My experience is will not bother the deer at all.

trapshooter
08-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Last year one of my whitetail areas got logged! It still hold lots of deer!

Dunezilla
08-27-2012, 08:16 PM
My experience is that when hunters (the ones I see) see these kind of spots they simply come in for a look & drive away. I get out & walk a bit & I see the trails better.

Took a big buck out of a clearing like that.

kidd
08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm with Speckle on this one. Last year our area was logged out and we found that the deer were still using the same trails regardless that the trees were gone. It seemed that they didnt yet know what else to do but what they had always done. Saw lots out in the open on that cut.
Now the Elk on the other hand, were long gone.
kidd