PDA

View Full Version : Fly gear stolen!

cmcclung
09-06-2012, 10:23 AM
So I guess I learned a lesson not to leave my gear in my truck. Last night it was all stolen. Man I wish I knew who did it!!!! Some little puke I'm sure. Anyway, tfo signature sieries 9foot 5 wt., cloudveil vest with everything, tons of flies, mec pack. Anyway, if anyone hears anything let me know. Not that I expect anyone to. Just ****es me off. Anyway, got a claim into insurance already and the cops know. I definitely learned my lesson and maybe give a heads up to others too. We live in a really nice neighborhood in lethbridge but guess you never know.

densa44
09-06-2012, 10:45 AM
We are all guessing it is not another fly fisherman who stole your stuff, but it would be hard to sell, especially if you know nothing about the equipment.

For example you know the names of all the flys, the thief doesn't. A pawn shop would be very suspicious, and so would other fishermen. I suggest that you put this info out to the potential customers, and wait for the trap to spring. I don't think that it will take very long.

tonypower
09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
I feel you pain. last fall I did the same thing. I left my gear in my car after a trip to the river because I was to lazy to bring it in the house. I woke up and it was all gone. three rods my tackle box even my best chair. It is very expensive to replace. And takes a long time. A guy builds up quite a lot of stuff over the years. sorry to hear about your loss.

Kokanee9
09-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I had a bunch of fishing and camping gear stolen out of a truck camper years ago. I had built up the stuff over many years. Various rods, about a dozen tackle boxes, $500 - $600 in topo maps etc, all gone. It put me off so much, I stopped fishing for almost 20 years.

Slowly the urge to get out takes over again, I found. I have built up the collection once more and try not to think about it happening again.

I do store stuff more securely and never in sight in a vehicle or boat. I learned a lesson from what happened and complain to wifey whenever she leaves anything in sight within her vehicle - even something that has no value. She has been told enough times and knows that if there is a broken window or screwed up door lock on her vehicle, as a result of leaving something in sight inside the vehicle, its her problem to pay to get it fixed, not mine.

HighRiver
09-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Sorry to hear about it. Don't let it keep you from hitting the water though. I caught a guy trying to break into my half ton last October at 5 am when I was walking out the door for work. Calling 911 doesn't work and I didnt call the cops, I actually had to make an anonymous report about an unconcious person in the alley across from our Cul de sac with a broken forearm and probably 5 broken ribs. Broke my best goalie stick too. I thught moving out of High River would have solved a lot of crime problems, but I guess Okotoks has the odd criminal from High River come for a visit.

cmcclung
09-06-2012, 11:51 AM
High river, I wish I would have caught him. Man that is a great story!!! Wish we could do that more often.

ReconWilly
09-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Chances are that your gear will end up on the free criminal online flea market AKA kigigi, check it every hr for a month and chances are you can make an appointment to meet the punk face to face...

Not advising, just saying...

Sucks about your stuff, i know how it feels.

HighRiver
09-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Also check Craigslist and Ebay, though ebay will be harder to tell where it's from.

Okotokian
09-06-2012, 04:53 PM
That totally sucks. You SHOULD be able to leave your gear in your car, but your experience is just another reminder that we can't, anywhere... sad. Take your gear in every night folks.

winger7mm
09-06-2012, 05:09 PM
So I guess I learned a lesson not to leave my gear in my truck. Last night it was all stolen. Man I wish I knew who did it!!!! Some little puke I'm sure. Anyway, tfo signature sieries 9foot 5 wt., cloudveil vest with everything, tons of flies, mec pack. Anyway, if anyone hears anything let me know. Not that I expect anyone to. Just ****es me off. Anyway, got a claim into insurance already and the cops know. I definitely learned my lesson and maybe give a heads up to others too. We live in a really nice neighborhood in lethbridge but guess you never know.

If I make a guess I would say you are on the west side??? My buddy had a shotty stolen, caught a month or so later. The wifes car was broken into and the cops got the bassturds in her car hehehe hard to claim it wasnt you hahaha