PDA

View Full Version : Mule spot and Stock Help

sparkster
09-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Well, I have a really nice Mule that I desperately would like to bring down this year with my bow.
I've already found him 3 times and have made attempts 3 times without success. He is usually with does which makes it really difficult.
I do everything common sense like; playing the wind or breeze, taking things slow, camo, etc.
At this point it seems impossible and I am very discouraged especially when i see so many other guys on here gettin it done.

He's usually in coulee, field, or the transition between the field and the coulee.

Any input or guidance appreciated!

huntin
09-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Don't give up use the wind and take your time

pottymouth
09-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Like anything your first attempt shall usually be your best. Sometimes it's better to just sit back and watch! I usually tell myself before I go in; is this the attempt that's going to be my best and maybe my only?

If the answer is no, i wait for the one that I believe to be as close to 100% as possible.

Just watch and wait, he bed somewhere away from the girls, all alone in a prime spot, then make your stalk.

Good luck, dont give up!

ishootbambi
09-08-2012, 12:20 AM
slow down. when you think you are going slow enough....slow down some more. mule deer arent that bright. just go slow enough at it that you dont set off alarms. as long as he doesnt smell you, you can get away with quite a bit if you arent rushing. their eyes and ears arent that hard to fool, but you cant beat their noses.

J.B.
09-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Scouting is key - know exactly what a deer is gonna do and when he is gonna do it...this worked out for me yesterday when i was hunting with a buddy. He went in for a stalk on a great mule buck while i sat back and watched. Without him even realizing it he lightly bumped the deer and they began to move out of the draw they were in. The second i seen thier antlers i knew where they were gonna go so I ran a half mile as fast as i could and got into position with seconds to spare...completely out of breath i shot the buck at about forty yards as he made his way down a near vertical slope. Had we not spent countless hours watching this deer i would not have known where he was going to go and would not have shot him.

Also, be patient and persistant...this was the third time in two days i was in bow range of this buck before i finally got a shot..i was almost ready to give up and go back to work but decided to tough it out for a couple more days and it payed off big time...quitters never win ;)

sparkster
09-09-2012, 12:28 AM
thanks for the info and encouragement. Im sure i will be back on him again sooner then later.