PDA

View Full Version : Best Northern Saskatchewan Fishing

tbosch
04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
My father and I are planning to head up to northern saskatchewan in early June for 8 days or so. We will be driving and camping. I'm wondering what the best direction to go would be to find some really good road accessable fisheries. Mostly looking for pike, and possibly Lake trout also. We will be in a good 4x4 so as long as there's a path we'll make our way down it:) . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as neither of us has made the journey before....WERE GOING IN BLIND!!!:lol:

Waxy
04-29-2008, 02:53 PM
I'd suggest the Hanson Lake Road.

Stop and camp/fish anywhere along there that you like, it's all fantastic.

Waxy

rugatika
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Hanson Lake Road.

It's the road north from Choiceland to Flin Flon. There are some decent lakes around Caribou Creek Lodge, (some that require a short walk into), and quite a few are stocked with fishes of differing pedigree. Trout of different makes, pike, and so on. Haven't fished the area since I lived in Saskatchewan so I can;t remember the lakes names, but if you get a map and fishing guidebook when you get your licence you should be able to drive up this road and hit some decent lakes.

I am thinking of doing a similar trip this summer if I can get the time to do so.

Zeden Lake has some walleye in it and is really clear and I believe a deep lake. The story goes that the lake got the name from a plane that crashed and sunk in the lake. Divers could not locate anything other than part of the plane with two letters from its call number...Z N. Not sure about the truthiness of the story or not. So watch out...the lake could be haunted. I can remember canoe fishing that lake with my dad and watching small schools of walleye cruising under the canoe. I was having such a good time watching them I don't think I even through a line in for half an hour.

Anyway, lots of good lakes (big and small) along that road and some good memories too. You'll have a blast. Now...I have to go dig up some maps.

PS: pretty good raisin pie at Caribou Creek Lodge cafe.

tbosch
04-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Hanson lake road sounds like a nice week cruise. I'm assuming that is up to the north east side of sask? Is there any good drive in fishing up the west side?

Waxy
04-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Not really in my opinion.

You have to get way far north in order to be into the good schield type lakes that the NE part of the province has in spades.

I think the accomodations and services will be better along the HLR too.

Waxy

Tredeb
04-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Hanson Lake Road.

It's the road north from Choiceland to Flin Flon. There are some decent lakes around Caribou Creek Lodge, (some that require a short walk into), and quite a few are stocked with fishes of differing pedigree. Trout of different makes, pike, and so on. Haven't fished the area since I lived in Saskatchewan so I can;t remember the lakes names, but if you get a map and fishing guidebook when you get your licence you should be able to drive up this road and hit some decent lakes.

I am thinking of doing a similar trip this summer if I can get the time to do so.

Zeden Lake has some walleye in it and is really clear and I believe a deep lake. The story goes that the lake got the name from a plane that crashed and sunk in the lake. Divers could not locate anything other than part of the plane with two letters from its call number...Z N. Not sure about the truthiness of the story or not. So watch out...the lake could be haunted. I can remember canoe fishing that lake with my dad and watching small schools of walleye cruising under the canoe. I was having such a good time watching them I don't think I even through a line in for half an hour.

Anyway, lots of good lakes (big and small) along that road and some good memories too. You'll have a blast. Now...I have to go dig up some maps.

PS: pretty good raisin pie at Caribou Creek Lodge cafe.

I believe Zeden and Shannon are stocked with rainbow trout now. Ispuchaw(calder)lake has walleye. Lower fishing (mile 45) has great campgrounds with showers and is generally a good place to stay and you are within a half hour's drive of about 30 lakes. Further up the road, Little bear Lake(mile 62) has pretty well everything in it, including Lake Trout. Campgrounds there as well.

As you keep going, the big lakes are: Big Sandy(around mile 80-90), Deschambeault(mile 110 to 120) and Jan Lake (mile 140ish). There are many other little lakes along the road. My choice would be to pick a nice campground and venture out from there.

We were at Deschambeault last july long and I limited out in about three hours of fishing. That includes tying lines and baiting hooks for my son and mother.

If you go through Choiceland, stop at the Esso in town and ask Del where they are biting. He will know, and he knows way more little lakes than I do. Also, I believe he has lake/species maps for the Hanson Lake road.

Trev

jednastka
05-01-2008, 12:48 PM
We have been up the Cluff Lake mine road up the West side of the province. Medow Lake - Buffalo Narrows - La Loche - Clearwater River - and north. Easy access, good road, not very crowded.

tbosch
05-01-2008, 01:35 PM
We have been up the Cluff Lake mine road up the West side of the province. Medow Lake - Buffalo Narrows - La Loche - Clearwater River - and north. Easy access, good road, not very crowded.

We have been looking at that route as an option. How is the fishing up there?

cujo1969
05-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Went up the cluff lake mine road for 6 years fished forrest,paterson lake and a couple others stayed at outfitters tho. Good fishing no crowds and no services north of la loche which is quite the town.

Canuck44
05-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Make sure you bring a couple of spare tires, some of the roads in northern sask are really rocky and very hard on tires, wouldn't want you to get stranded.

Waxy
05-02-2008, 07:59 AM
We have been looking at that route as an option. How is the fishing up there?

I think the fishing is pretty good, it's the services that are sketchy.

As someone mentioned, once you get north of La Loche (a "unique" town to say the least), it's pretty much wilderness.

The HLR has plenty of services - fuel, food, accomodations, rentals, etc... and is far more geared toward the outdoorsmen.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but if you're going as a vacation with the girlfriend, I'd advise the HLR.

Waxy

Buckhead
05-02-2008, 06:02 PM
There is also highway 2 north of Prince Alberta to Lac La Ronge and Nemeiben Lakes - walleye, large pike, large lakers.

A bit further north is the Churchhill river system -Pike and walleyes of all shapes and sizes.

Mclennan Lake, Brabant Lake and Waddy Lake - some eyes, lots of pike and lakers.

Then comes Reindeer Lake. A HUGE lake that has awesome fishing.

If you aren't fished out by then and the lakes are still ice free keep going north to Davin Lake, Johnson River and Geikie River. Super fishing all around you.

tbosch
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone. We're geared up now. Camper's being loaded tomorrow. New bow mount minnkota 55 mounted and wired. Tackle re-organized. Ready for 10 days of fishing!!! We will be heading through meadow lake park. Stop at keeley Lake for a day, then to isle la cross for a couple days. from there over to hwy 2 and we'll see where we end up. Looking to try a few different lakes and types of fish along the way. It should be a great trip.