PDA

View Full Version : Fly swap this year?

Calgaryguy1977
09-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone is/was organizing a fly swap this year. I have a few patterns I could share that Ive had luck with. Anyone else interested this year? Who normally organizes it?
Thanks!
Cheers

fish gunner
09-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone is/was organizing a fly swap this year. I have a few patterns I could share that Ive had luck with. Anyone else interested this year? Who normally organizes it?
Thanks!
Cheers

I think you just volunteered,lol. im up to throw flies in.

Calgaryguy1977
09-11-2012, 08:31 AM
I think you just volunteered,lol. im up to throw flies in.

Nooooo Im too disorganized!! LOL

Calgaryguy1977
09-11-2012, 08:33 AM
I know theres someone that usually organizes it. I cant remember their name but Ive seen it done in the past. This year I may actually have some stuff to contribute! lol

fish gunner
09-11-2012, 09:07 AM
the man your looking for goes by the handle daceminnow, in these parts. some say he collect's fish head's. rumor has it in the right light you can see his scales. we know him as dace.lol.

Big Bull
09-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I know theres someone that usually organizes it. I cant remember their name but Ive seen it done in the past. This year I may actually have some stuff to contribute! lol

jst1 has hosted it also, but once is usually enough, because there is always one person that turns it into a chitshow!:argue2:

Kingfisher
09-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I have hosted many swaps and Big Bull is right most of the time there is always one dikhead that spoils it for the rest. They always seem to have great excuses.

But having said that I will run one this winter. I will lay out the rules and if it is not followed then that person will just be eliminated. That is the only fair way to do it for all the others that will participate.

For now though I am still out fishing.

If someone wants to run one in the mean time I will certainly participate. Here are some steadfast rules you should follow if you decide to take one on.

1) Have a species of fish or type of fly to tie or location such as a river or lake fly. For example, say you want just trout flies, walleye flies or pike flies. Or you can say tie only clousers, chronomids or minnow patterns.

2) Have a specific deadline and stick to it. Meaning ALL FLIES MUST BE IN BY *** DATE. and stick to it like flies to #*$&. If you go off the deadline some will say mine are in the mail. Or I sent mine. Make only the ones received by such and such a date actually are able to be in the swap. That way everyone knows you aren't fooling around. If they arrive late then send them back to the person.

3) Be clear on the number of flies that should be tied. Most times people will throw in a few for the swap master. But I have had occasion where people only put in what they thought was nessessary and it was less than needed for the swap.

4) Have a predetermined number of swap participants. Usually 12 is more than enough. Because then you ask each individual to tie up 12 flies. One of the flies will be mailed back to the participant. But then they get to see each and everyone of the flies and compare it to their own.

5) Take a picture of all the flies and post a picture for all to see. That way others who might not have joined will get to see a good variety of flies that they may just want to tie up.

6) Be sure to let people know that you actually do not have to tie flies to be in a fly swap. You could always just buy a dozen flies and send them in. Not the prefered way to participate in a fly swap. But it certainly does make sure that everyone can participate even if they don't tie.

7) Make sure everyone includes a self addressed and stamped envelope. That way you don't have to pay for stamps and envelopes or worry about getting the correct spelling for the names or addresses of the participants.

8) Make sure that everyone understands that they should tie up all of their flies the same pattern. Yes, the reason I say that is because I have had some people that didn't get that part. It is nice to be able to send one of the same pattern to everyone.

9) Did I say stick to your timeframe that you have laid out? Yes, I know I did. But I wanted to say it again. Don't make it too long. Because people will loose interest. About 45 to 60 days is max length of time.

Rob

Toirtis
09-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I am in to contribute, but not to organise.

pipercub17
09-12-2012, 02:38 PM
i would get in on this