PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions wanted for float near Red Deer

MTB_FlyFisher
09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm heading out to Red Deer to visit with a friend this weekend and he's got a couple of pontoon boats so we were thinking of setting up a float of the Red Deer River, preferably close(ish) to town. We'll both be using fly rods and are looking for something that would take in the neighborhood of about 6 hours including time to stop and fish any promising looking locations.

Thought I'd turn to the fine folks on this forum and see if anyone had some suggestions for a good stretch to float that was able to give directions to a put-in and take-out spot that would accomodate this and the rough amount of time the float would take.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Donkey Oatey
09-14-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm heading out to Red Deer to visit with a friend this weekend and he's got a couple of pontoon boats so we were thinking of setting up a float of the Red Deer River, preferably close(ish) to town. We'll both be using fly rods and are looking for something that would take in the neighborhood of about 6 hours including time to stop and fish any promising looking locations.

Thought I'd turn to the fine folks on this forum and see if anyone had some suggestions for a good stretch to float that was able to give directions to a put-in and take-out spot that would accomodate this and the rough amount of time the float would take.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Can put in at Fort Normandeau if the gates are still open. Short float down the river but you can fish along the way. Pull out just at Bower Ponds or just past the Taylor Drive Bridge on the west side there is a boat launch.

Sedativ3
09-14-2012, 12:44 PM
The best section to float right now would be to put in at the bottom of the dam (glennifer lake) and float down to innisfail bridge. Its about a 6 hour float and it is an awesome stretch of water. Most of the brown trout have/will be moving up that direction and it can be the best time of year to target them. There is a spot you can take out a few hours earlier that would allow you to stop and fish at some awesome holes, and believe me there are a few you will want to. If you want to PM me i can give ya directions.