PDA

View Full Version : Anything worth it in Calling lake?

sky-guy
05-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I am going up for Canada day (inlaws have a cabin ) they arent fishers, so any advice would help. Would love to hit up some lakers, just dont know if there are any there!
Cheers and blue skies!

T-Bone
05-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Walleye,Pike,Perch and the odd ling no lakers in there at all. Calling is fantastic for walleye. Use jigs with minnows or leeches. You will need a boat to get out there. Best of luck

FisherPotch
05-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey T-Bone, Just wondering when you last fished calling because i talked to a biologist whom said the lake has been devistated in the last five years and that a change in the regulations is expected. I went twice this winter and found zero eyes. I havn't seen a post yet on the forum of anyone even catching a walleye in about a year. The only posts I've heard where people met with success was for pike and 1 ling. We caught pike on our second outing but still incredibly slow fishing. I know a fellow with a cabin on the lake and he has nothing good left to say about it. I was told that it was one of the best lakes in the province but after fishing 40 hours plus and zero walleye i was turned off. Just to hear some success stories would restore some faith in many people.

impatient_hunter
05-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I have a cabin there and we have had some good fishing. My picture is a pike I caught there last year. Walleye numbers are definitely down due to being able to keep them which came in 5 years ago and lots of people keep more than the limit. Last year we were stopped by Fish and Wildlife and they offered us some Walleye because a boat near us with two people had keep four Walleye. The limit there is one and this happens a lot. On July long weekend don't even try for perch as you won't get much action. Some of the best fishing areas are closed of though. I don't really ice fish, but from what I have heard it wasn't a great winter. If you come at the lake at the right time you can have some really good fishing. On the day that I caught my big guy we averaged about 8 per person in about a hour and a half which wasn't to bad.

ukrmaf
05-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Last I was out there was May long last year, other than the weather sucking the eyes were easy to catch and nice sizes too, jig tipped with minnows or leeches worked great for us.

Drewski Canuck
05-02-2008, 12:42 PM
From July onward the walleye are mid lake, suspended, and feeding on tulibee. Same as Pinehurst, Moose, etc. Change your tactics and you won't believe the results. As for Calling in general, ice fishing was tough due to the heavy snow load, making it a skidoo only lake this winter. We did really well on the walleye at dusk, but on skidoo to get across.

As for the lake being in decline, hardly. Recruitment has been great, lots of small fish being caught along with lots of big fish.

As for the regulation change, the plan was to open up the whole lake, which will probably happen next year.

Drewski

jefferson
05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Nahh- don't bother. Terrible fishing, not worth your time... :)

Best fishing I've ever had was at Calling Lake- but you won't like it.

Steadyup
05-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Nahh- don't bother. Terrible fishing, not worth your time... :)

Best fishing I've ever had was at Calling Lake- but you won't like it.

HAHA...that is the truth. Calling has great eye action. Not uncommon to hook up a 9+ pounder.