PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Lake

-relk-
09-17-2012, 08:51 AM
A couple buddies of mine booked us a cabin at Whitetail Lake in BC for an upcoming weeked. They told me the fishing was really good. Since I am not a very good fly fisher yet, ill be sticking to the spinning reel for most of the trip. They will be getting all the flies we need, but I was curious what I should be grabbing from the store before I go? Thanks for any help!

Walleye101
09-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Whitetail Lake by Fairmont?

-relk-
09-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Whitetail Lake by Fairmont?

Thats the one.

Walleye101
09-17-2012, 05:39 PM
That is an absolute picturesque lake. I'm so jealous! There are some huge Girrard Rainbows in there that apparently get over the 20 pound mark according to the local pub owner in Canel Flats! Stop in and talk with him. He really knows his fishing around there! I only fished from shore because I was to cheap to rent a boat from the shop in Fairmont. Kick my ass! But I seen some enormous trout swimming the shallow's. Only had spin gear though but I wish I had fly gear! You are going to have a great time! It's so nice in there! Let me know how you make out!

Bhflyfisher
09-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Typical Fall stuff will do you well. Sport fishing on the fly has a couple videos i think on whitetail lake. Should be able to dig that up if you look on their website.

Micro leeches under an indicator in 1-10' of water is the norm for fall. There are tons of other things that produce. But leeches are generally best bet. With the cold water, and fall approaching, the fish wont chase after things like they do in spring. Sometimes the presentation has to be static, sometimes it has to be stripped painstakingly slow. Think shallow water though!

Other patterns to look at, Blood worms, Boatmen, *Scuds especially*, juvenile damsels.

I have no prior experience at whitetail, but what i said seems to be the norm around the lakes that i have fished in BC (Knouff, White, Roche, Beaver) and seems to work well in lakes here. Fluorocarbon tippet and line is a must...

Im sure if you shot Johnk a Pm he'd help you a bit. He used to live in BC and is a commercial fly tier.

-relk-
09-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info!

Hopefully ill have some pics when I get back.

In Tents
09-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Also consider floating ant patterns seems obscure but they work for sight fishing