PDA

View Full Version : Jig heads

Stu
09-17-2012, 08:32 PM
I use jigs quite a bit when fishing, and do very well using them. I have lost some large fish because the jigs will bend open.
Does anyone know of a good quality jig head? I dont really want to make my own either, but looking for a stronger hook in the jig. Does anyone make a stainless hook jig head?
Thanks

WayneChristie
09-17-2012, 08:46 PM
not the heads you have to worry about, but the hooks. I have molds for a few different types, found some heavy duty hooks years ago but none of those type since, there must be some out there. you could also try loosening your drag a bit and let the rod do the work instead of the hook. caught my biggest pike (22 pounds 7 ounces) on a little quarter ounce jig with soft hook, got lucky there for sure.

Stu
09-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Yep, drag is set properly, been spooled often. Have actually pulled anchor to follow a few around.
Let me ask a different question.
Does anyone know where to buy quality jig heads that last more than 10-15 decent sized fish without having to throw them away? Or rebend?
Any specific brands come to mind?
Thanks

Kyle
09-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Looks for jigs with gamakatsu or owner hooks on them.

Stu
09-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I will look for those, thanks.

npauls
09-17-2012, 09:56 PM
What brand of jigs are you using?

My fishing buddies and myself have caught some pretty good sized fish on jigs and I have yet to see them straighten or bend out any of our hooks.

I have bent them when hooked into a log or rock but never on a fish.

FishingFrenzy
09-17-2012, 10:08 PM

My fishing buddies and myself have caught some pretty good sized fish on jigs and I have yet to see them straighten or bend out any of our hooks.

X2.

Stu
09-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Falcon

Stu
09-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Falcon
What brand of jigs do you use?

npauls
09-17-2012, 10:46 PM
I use a few different brands.

I have quite a few northland gumball jigs.

Lindy max gaps

Matzuo fine wire with the sickle style hook

reel bait jigs

Cabelas house brand jigs

Bass pro house brand jigs.

AK47
09-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Looks for jigs with gamakatsu or owner hooks on them.

I concur. Never had problems with Gamakatsu or Owner. Ones with Eagle Claw hooks are the worst, stay away from them.

bobalong
09-17-2012, 11:55 PM
The strongest jigs I have used (and still do) are Slow Poke. Smack jigs were very close, but I don't believe they are available any more.

RapStaff
09-18-2012, 08:06 AM
The strongest jigs I have used (and still do) are Slow Poke. Smack jigs were very close, but I don't believe they are available any more.

x2 on the slow pokes, very short shank though.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Stu, all though we don’t advertise them, I sell my jig heads that we use for all out Bucktail jigs. I have quite a few colors, and two sizes. They are made from Gamakatzu jig hooks I buy from my supplier, they are very tough hooks, and the heads are powder coated. Shoot me a pm with the colors you’re looking for. Either that or give me a call 780 668 0288.

I have sold some to other members here and am sure they can and will attest to the quality that they are.

CenterPin
09-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Send me a pm and ill fill you in on a cheep and very easy way to make any hook you like into a jighead

steelhead
09-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Are you using super line of some kind for your jigging rod?

With no stretch line, the hook just keeps bending.

Mono has reflex and the shock absorbsion calms the bending effect.

My jigging rod is strictly mono.

16th ounce jig with a shiner tail on 6 pound mono hauled in a 44 inch pike through the ice. I credit the mono. thats a weak hook for perch!

Just my opinion from trial and error and education from others.

Plus! you get more bites cause the fish dont see the line.

STEELHEAD

Stu
09-18-2012, 09:53 PM
8lb mono.
I must have got a poor batch of jigs.
I will try some other brands as recommended.
Thanks for everyones input.
Cheers

pelada trochu
09-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Agree with being easy on the drag. Caught a 35" pike this summer on a perch hook. Simple j hook. 6lb test and 500 series shimano. So keep trying. Dont need thick hooks. But hooks caan have a temper and if that is gone then they are just junk.

Stu
09-19-2012, 07:32 PM
The smaller jigs would require more force to bend, than the same hook of a larger size.

Paul C
09-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Wholesale sports has some jig heads in the bins that are labeled Dan's Custom Jigs. On closer inspection you will see that the eye hole has no paint in them and the paint he uses is two part plastic paint and you will find that it has higher abrasion wear than others.

tigar
09-20-2012, 08:57 AM
I'll give you all my jigs, never had a problem with any of them, if you can tell me where in Alberta you've been spooled and you've had to pull up anchore.