PDA

View Full Version : Bow River fishing

andersdd
09-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Hey,
Just started fly fishing and absolutely love it. Just been fishing near carseland. got a couple of questions.
1)What are your favorite flies to use on the river? I have just been successful on nymphs
2) where in calgary is there good fishing in the bow?
3) Does anyone have any spare gear that i can buy for cheap.
Thanks!

aulrich
09-17-2012, 09:23 PM
1. I like a number of nymphs as long as you tandem rig it with a san juan worm
2. anywhere down stream of the Bonnybrook honey factory look for bridges and parks and besides most of the river has the bike path by it.
3. Sorry no all my stuff is cheap, especially my leaky waders

andersdd
09-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks!
tandem rig as in tying another nymph onto the san juan worm?

wildcat111
09-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Hello haresear, prince nymph, pheasant tail, red wire worm or saun yaun worm, copper johns different colors red and burgany work really well. For drys i find an adams and elk hair caddis work well, fish them in the slower water along the banks. I find when fishing the nymphs i like to use a 9-15 foot leader and either 1 or 2 split shots you want the flies to litterally be bouncing off the bottom. Try the worm but if your not getting strike put it away, my favorite combos are pheasant tail folowed by a hearears flashback, or a prince nymph and a flashback haresear. I catch fish everytime i go out with the haresear, really good flie for all year fishing, i find the worms work really good in the spring but slow down during the summer months, fish the drys an hour or two before sunset. If your lucky enough to fish from a boat lots of guys will use an attractor flie with a nymph tied to it. An attractor flie could be anything big that will attract the fish, i.e wolly bugger, leech, ect, i find from the shore not as productive . Hope this helps, as for fishing spots in calgary, anywhere were there is a deep pool, easy to spot with the swallow water, but some of the best places are from glenmore south to hwy 22x.good luck!!!