PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing for northern's

ramcharger
05-02-2008, 07:18 AM
I am usually fly fishin for trout but now I have a boat to go to the lake's.I have only seen it on tv but flyfishin for pike look's like a BLAST! I was just wondering if any one has any tips, such as do I need some sort of steel leader and without telling me any secret's what kind of fly would I use. One more question, everyone is getting excited about the ice coming off down south but what about the redeer area {glennifer lake} thank's guy's.

fluxcore
05-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Im in Red Deer too, we still have a week or to after that last blast of winter. I regularly fish pike on the fly my favorite spots are gull and pine. I use a huge floating mouse I buy at wallmart for 5 bucks its called critters or something. It floats and has a looped mono line weed guard. Almost anthing large you cast out there a pike will take. my suggestion is use a floating fly it makes setting the hook fast and easy. pike expload top water when thay hit a mouse its wild:lol:

fluxcore
05-02-2008, 07:34 AM
use a steel leader thats important. I got my boat last year ill pm you when the ice is gone and we can meet up at the lake if you want.

ramcharger
05-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Thank's alot fluxcore. I am from Calgary but I had a lot of good fish at pine, I have a few hot spots there just waiting for May 16th. I have a new boat this year I would prefer Pine but I am not putting the new toy in the water unless I can put the new rod in also that is why I asked about Glennifer.But the picture's of some of the walleye and pike the boy's are getting down south are making me think about trying down there.Hope to see you on the lake some day.THANK'S AGAIN!

Muskeg
05-02-2008, 08:31 AM
I use a steel leader as well.. I just buy the 8-12" ones.. and buy a pack, around a dozen to keep with you. the Pike shred or kink these leaders up after awhile also but they aren't getting away. I attach it to 20 pound mono in about a 4' section straight to the fly line. As for hooks you could probably tie your sock on there and catch as many fish as anyone. Its addicting though because you can pretty much catch Pike non-stop.

KyleM
05-02-2008, 08:44 AM
I refuse to use a steel leader when flyfishing for them toothy critters.
If you use a length of the upper # PowerPro it works much better.

I like to use huge skunk streamers or just normal white nylon marine rope shredded up. By fraying a long piece of this rope and using it as a streamer, it acts like 100 little hooks on your bait.
If the pike wants to shake your bait, 9 times out of 10 the nylon rope gets caught in his teeth and you land him that way.

I fish for Gar Pike this way in Lake Huron...The only difference is I leave the hook right out and tie the nylon rope on a bait shank....No chance in hooking a gar pike on the fly.

Good luck!

Don Andersen
05-04-2008, 07:20 AM
SEE This for FF pike

http://members.shaw.ca/clives/pikeflyfish.html

ramcharger
05-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Thank's alot guy's!I don't think it's any different than any other specie's but every little bit of knowledge from anybody that has done it HELP'S.Thank's for that website Don it tells you alot.I can't get out until May long, can't wait, new season with a new boat.

Muskeg
05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm not a fan of that guys leaders on that link.. I've used them before and it just wasted my time.. The reason I went to the simple store bought leader was to have the clip and be able to replace them easily.. Pike tear flies apart after awhile and kink steal leaders so to have the two connected in a way that you can't change one or the other is nonsense..
Is that Powerpro the same type of stuff as Firewire? I searched it and it sounds similar in makeup and abrasion resistance, funny "can't cut with nail clippers", "10x stronger than steel"
I know Firewire is a pain to cut I think I'll have to try a batch of Powerpro, thanks for the tip. And for anyone who thinks they can use High test mono.. do yourself a favor and don't bother tying it on.. just throw it in the water!