PDA

View Full Version : Do I try this or am I crazy?

Fish face
09-19-2012, 06:45 PM
I have a 1980 johnson 70hp outboard. bought it last summer. finally get it running nice, take it to the lake, doesnt move the boat. feels like its shifting but no action. Im not a mechanic but im pretty good with tools and equipment. do i dare try pulling the leg off and go in myself? or am i best to leave it to a mechanic? I Went online and checked the lower unit removal instructions. they made it sound way easier than it looks. 3 easy steps and by their account the thing damn near falls off. I'm not sure im buying that...or maybe im wrong? Im already at the point that either way I'm hoping for it to be ready beginning of may .

npauls
09-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Is the hub on the prop spun?

I would check that out before dropping the lower unit.

Kokanee9
09-19-2012, 09:55 PM
I would say to give it a shot. Your right, it's not that hard. While you have it apart, change the impellor while your checking it out. You don't know the last time it was changed and it is not expensive for parts.

borchy
09-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I have done it on 3 motors and changed impellers, it is usually pretty easy and it isnt working now so you arent going to wreck it. Cant speak to your exact model though.