PDA

View Full Version : Morinville fishing

coyotezh
09-19-2012, 09:02 PM
spent a day there on Monday. It's a windy day, only got one bite and caught one fish. very boring and fishing was very very very very slow... On the way home, I found there was lots of birds swimming/playing on the pond. I wonder if those birds took most of the fish stocking in the pond? 9000 fish stocked according to the list, how could those fish being fished out?

sad day!

waterninja
09-20-2012, 04:09 AM
next time spend 10 min. and go to cardiff or 20 min. and hit salter. both are more productive and you can also fish with some shelter from the wind. sorry you had a bad day but think of how much bigger they'll be in oct.
p.s. the birds didn't get them, you just had a bad day.

Doc
09-20-2012, 08:41 AM
spent a day there on Monday. It's a windy day, only got one bite and caught one fish. very boring and fishing was very very very very slow... On the way home, I found there was lots of birds swimming/playing on the pond. I wonder if those birds took most of the fish stocking in the pond? 9000 fish stocked according to the list, how could those fish being fished out?

sad day!

Trout were probably being selective on their choice of feed. What were you using?

Geezle
09-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Trout were probably being selective on their choice of feed. What were you using?

X2 there's no way that pond is fished out yet

cranky
09-20-2012, 12:04 PM
They are real picky at Morrinville and Cardiff. Gotta just chuck everything till you find something that works. I did good doing that 2 weeks ago ,day time. Those little ones sure get off the hooks easy though. Lots of LDR's.

Paul C
09-20-2012, 12:43 PM
I have been catching the bigger ones on the deep end. Trout fishing should start to pick up in a few weeks once the water cools down enough.

coyotezh
09-21-2012, 07:36 AM
next time spend 10 min. and go to cardiff or 20 min. and hit salter. both are more productive and you can also fish with some shelter from the wind. sorry you had a bad day but think of how much bigger they'll be in oct.
p.s. the birds didn't get them, you just had a bad day.

Yeah, I went to Cardiff the same day around noon. Very productive! Lots of fun. All tiny rainbows.

Salter is not easy fishing from shore, isn't it? I tried, not a pleasant place for fishing. Bugs in the air and mud on your feet... :sHa_shakeshout: didn't catch anything yet....hehe...

I have lots of questions about Morinville. They said they released 9000 this year. Where are those newly stocked fish. All I caught from there were big ones. The smallest was over 9 inch... Or, they didn't stock any this year?

Doc
09-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I went to Cardiff the same day around noon. Very productive! Lots of fun. All tiny rainbows.

Salter is not easy fishing from shore, isn't it? I tried, not a pleasant place for fishing. Bugs in the air and mud on your feet... :sHa_shakeshout: didn't catch anything yet....hehe...

I have lots of questions about Morinville. They said they released 9000 this year. Where are those newly stocked fish. All I caught from there were big ones. The smallest was over 9 inch... Or, they didn't stock any this year?

Right now the trout in Morrinville should be feeding selectively on boatman and the odd backswimmer (usually larger trout 16" + will take backswimmers). With these warm fall days there still may be some good chironomid hatches coming off like I saw at Star the other day and the trout may then become selective on those for a few hours but would usually remain opportunistic with boatman due to the sheer numbers and activity. As far as the stocking goes, the trout stocked this spring should be between 8" on the very low end & 14" on the high end. These pothole lakes are very productive and the trout grow quickly. Hope this helps.

coyotezh
09-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Right now the trout in Morrinville should be feeding selectively on boatman and the odd backswimmer (usually larger trout 16" + will take backswimmers). With these warm fall days there still may be some good chironomid hatches coming off like I saw at Star the other day and the trout may then become selective on those for a few hours but would usually remain opportunistic with boatman due to the sheer numbers and activity. As far as the stocking goes, the trout stocked this spring should be between 8" on the very low end & 14" on the high end. These pothole lakes are very productive and the trout grow quickly. Hope this helps.

I love this answer. Thank you very much, man!