PDA

View Full Version : Video - Native "Massacre" Of Coho on Capilano River

Serengeti Charters
09-20-2012, 10:46 AM
I'll let the video speak for itself, want to make you all aware of this kind of behaviour. I'm sure you can imagine how I feel about this kind of thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuseR1aYsDc

pikergolf
09-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm guessing it's all legal? If it is I don't see a problem, get the fish out and whack them on the head. Not pretty to watch but I'm guessing watching slaughter houses would be on par. If you find it disturbing because you disagree with natives harvesting that's another matter. Looking at the stream bed makeup it looks like the rocks have been stacked to trap the fish when the tide drops?

sniderscott
09-20-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm guessing it's all legal? If it is I don't see a problem, get the fish out and whack them on the head. Not pretty to watch but I'm guessing watching slaughter houses would be on par. If you find it disturbing because you disagree with natives harvesting that's another matter. Looking at the stream bed makeup it looks like the rocks have been stacked to trap the fish when the tide drops?

so beating the mid bodies, jumping on them is for the meat? I guess they like it tenderized.

Walleye101
09-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Don't those fish die anyway?

sniderscott
09-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Don't those fish die anyway?

you die. would you like to be beat because you do? It's a disgusting abuse of "rights". The reserve back home does it properly with string nets and boats. Not this disgusting feat of inhumanity.

rammer
09-20-2012, 11:25 AM

If it's legal you have no problem? Natives love to talk about how they know better than anyone how to care for and manage our natural resources. Just ask the caribou herds in Quebec. I guess once the populations drop too much they can just pray to the fish god and he will give them more salmon.

fish99
09-20-2012, 11:26 AM
the way the fish were clubed with the sticks on the meat was a waste of the resource. If no body purchased fish from these people, this would not happen as often.

Redfrog
09-20-2012, 11:29 AM
you die. would you like to be beat because you do? It's a disgusting abuse of "rights". The reserve back home does it properly with string nets and boats. Not this disgusting feat of inhumanity.

How are the fish in the net killed?

Speckle55
09-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Circle of Life .. its been that way for centuries..

Don,t step on the ground or grass as you kill hundreds of organizims etc with every step and crush arms and legs /spilling their guts everywhere..

OMG!!! :snapoutofit:

Food for Thought
David:)

Okotokian
09-20-2012, 11:32 AM
"Massacre"? Sounds like PETA posted the video. How do you kill landed fish on your charters? I'm assuming it's with a whack on the head, no?

Walleye101
09-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Do they die after spawn at that particular part of the river? If they do die I see no problem with it. Those fish will be used up entirely. My god people. Have you ever seen massive net's set in lakes? This is really no different. These people rely on those fish!

TROLLER
09-20-2012, 11:37 AM
"Massacre"? Sounds like PETA posted the video. How do you kill landed fish on your charters? I'm assuming it's with a whack on the head, no?

Could not have said it better. While I don't condon all native "rights" their method of dispatching the fish is no different than mine if I am keeping a catch.

Stewie
09-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Could not have said it better. While I don't condon all native "rights" their method of dispatching the fish is no different than mine if I am keeping a catch.

You stomp on fish to kill them??

rammer
09-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Do they die after spawn at that particular part of the river? If they do die I see no problem with it. Those fish will be used up entirely. My god people. Have you ever seen massive net's set in lakes? This is really no different. These people rely on those fish!

Ya they rely on the fish to buy drugs and Champ Bailey jerseys

winged1
09-20-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm guessing Paul Watson would suddenly be Ok for some.

Serengeti Charters
09-20-2012, 11:51 AM

The native in the video is the one that says massacre, using his words. And the thing that bugs me the most is the way they are stomping and beating the pulp out of the bodies of the fish indicates to me that most of these fish won't be eaten.

As for the aren't they going to die comment, yes, but this is after they spawn...these fish have not spawned yet and contributed to creating more fish for the future.

FishHunterPro
09-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Looks like a great way of catching fish to me. That's a minor catch in my opinion. They could have a giant net across the river or be in a boat some where dragging a huge net catching everything around by the hundreds or thousands.

Serengeti Charters
09-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Well, they may be eaten...but by the public after they are bought from them...and the meat won't be all that great after this.

pikergolf
09-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Seriously, if people are upset about the way the fish die, you need to research the way those wonderful packets of meat end up in the meat dept. of the supermarket.

Mutter87
09-20-2012, 12:12 PM

If they rely on the fish why do we give them money? Seems they rely more on me paying taxes then they do on these fish.

Walleye101
09-20-2012, 12:20 PM
You are getting off topic now Mutter87. Call your federal government rep.

Badflies
09-20-2012, 12:26 PM
It is an issue of fisheries management and conservation. I was there watching them trap the salmon a couple years ago. It's actually much worse in person. The whole river is blocked and EVERY salmon spawning is slaughtered. FYI this would be super illegal in Alberta. It's bad sportsmanship bad resource management and gives all traditional native hunters and fisherman a bad name. Let's see how the forums would react if these were local walleye...

sniderscott
09-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Seriously, if people are upset about the way the fish die, you need to research the way those wonderful packets of meat end up in the meat dept. of the supermarket.

and what makes you think I don't?

pikergolf
09-20-2012, 01:02 PM
and what makes you think I don't?

Don't what? do the research? If you did then good on you, you'll agree it's pretty disturbing then? But is it enough to make you change the way you buy your meat?

BeeGuy
09-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Great Video, thanks for posting.

Wish I could have been there, looks like a lot of fun.

pophouseman
09-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Whats the problem, let them be. you all stole their land anyway

Seriously, if the fish are going to be eaten and used, and they were LEAGALLY taken, then what is the problem with the video

I would say the biggest concern would be for the children who seemed to be enjoying killing the fish (cruelty towards animals is one side of the serial killer triad)

As far as them actually taking of fish and killing them? big deal. I have done it.

Cast-Reel-fight-land-boink-cut-sizzle-yum!!!!

whats the difference.

pophouseman
09-20-2012, 01:13 PM
WON"T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=131470&highlight=Sundancefisher

Redfrog
09-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Could be they are doing research.:thinking-006:

winged1
09-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Pretty sure the Capilano is 100% hatchery, like in taxpayers fish. Anyone know otherwise.

BeeGuy
09-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Ya they rely on the fish to buy drugs and Champ Bailey jerseys

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg523/elbee69/images99_zpsed2c7059.jpg

aulrich
09-20-2012, 02:22 PM
There is/was a hatchery(though I am trying to remember if there were 2 north shore rivers but I am pretty sure it was on the cap,

It looks like dip netting just with salmon and not suckers. Ironically I would bet there are "white folk" gaffing them with big hooked jigs right below the entrance to the hatchery. At least they were when I was living there 16 + years ago.

Just imagine what buffalo jumps use to be like, run a heard off, process like mad till you have all you can handle or the meat has gone bad, leave the rest.

Killing animals for food is never neat work, mind you they do need a little practice on the fish bonker.

Alberta Bigbore
09-20-2012, 02:36 PM
awww a select few ruined it for others... :)