PDA

View Full Version : bought my boat

stubblejumper
05-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I went down to LacLaBiche Sporting Goods this morning and bought my boat.He had two of the boats that I wanted,but they were both sold.However, he has a few more due to arrive in a week to ten days,so one of those will be mine.I chose the Lund Rebel 1625 Sport with a 75hp mercury four stroke,and 2200lb trailer with swing out tongue..I also bought the full top,two extra seats and a trim gauge,and Albert threw in the travel cover and the DOT kit as he does with all boats of this type.Albert was excellent to deal with.He wrote up the contract and told me that there was only one more step left to close the deal.I assumed that he meant a deposit,so I prepared to write a cheque.Instead he offered me his hand and told me that no deposit was necessary,and that he had been making deals on a handshake since he began in business many years ago.I am very happy with the price,and the way that Albert conducts business.It looks as though I will be picking up the boat at the end of the month.

dodger
05-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Good on you with your new purchase.:) :) :)
It seems all the best/friendliest dealers are anywhere but the Calgary area. Dealers here would tell you to quit wasting there time unless your buying a $60,000.00 Chaparral from them. OK, I'm done venting.:mad2: Now you have to go threw those sleepless nights waiting to get that baby out on the water and getting some fish slime on the carpet. Where are you planning the maiden voyage.
Dodger.

JohninAB
05-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Congrats on the boat. Curious though, I thought the 1625 Rebel only cam as a side console and yet you say you bought a full top for it? Is it a bimini top or full enclosure?

stubblejumper
05-03-2008, 07:21 PM
The Lund site only shows the rebell ss with the single console,but the Sport model has the full walk through windshield.The top is a full top,but the rear secton zips off,as do the side curtains.I was set to buy the 1625 classic until Albert told me about the 1625 rebel sport.He had both side by side at the dealership,and the Rebel is much roomier and is rated for 75hp compared to the classic at 50hp.Considering that the Rebel was priced lower,the decision was an easy one.

The link below shows the rebel sport in the colors that I chose.

http://www.boat.canadatrader.com/newvehicles/detail_newcar.aspx?ID=31709925&pgno=1&srt=1

I hope to have the boat in Gregoire lake in early June to break in the engine and verify if the prop is correct for the application.If it isn't Albert will exchange it free of charge for one more suitable for my uses.

JohninAB
05-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Sounds awesome. Kind of bummed now though as I never knew the Rebel came with a full console and does not list it on the website as I would have looked at it a bit more closely. The 1625 classic did not have a beam I was happy with so I went with the Crestliner which I am very happy with. The 1660 classic was a lot more money.

stubblejumper
05-03-2008, 07:40 PM
I didn't know that the rebel sport existed until Albert told me.The other dealers didn't tell me either.They all wanted to sell me the 1625 classic.

ROA
05-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Stubble, check out your motor mounting position. My oldman's Reb Sport (with the 60) is one hole up from the lowest position. This puts the anti-cavitation plate about equal with the bottom of the boat. Check yours out and see how they set it up. The prop is a 13" pitch. Mabey we can compare notes after thy get a few hours on them.

gramps73
05-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Stubble
Congrats on the new boat, looks like a great one. Have fun...
Gramps

stubblejumper
05-04-2008, 10:34 AM
The prop is a 13" pitch. Mabey we can compare notes after thy get a few hours on them.

According to the Mercury prop selector,they recommend a 16" or 17" pitch prop for the 75hp,and a 12" or 13" pitch prop for the 60hp.Once I have settled on the correct pitch,I intend on purchasing a stainless prop,and keeping the aluminum for a spare.We can compare results,and see how much speed difference the extra 15hp produces.

JohninAB
05-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Just remember the difference between an aluminum prop and stainless is about 2 inches of pitch due to the flexing of aluminum. Meaning a 16 pitch stainless prop is like an 18 pitch aluminum prop.

stubblejumper
05-04-2008, 02:09 PM
That seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer,and with the particular prop design.The Mercury prop selector does not make much difference,1" at most from stainless to aluminum.In fact for many situations,it lists the same pitch for stainless or aluminum for my engine.My plan is to select an aluminum prop that allows the engine to reach the maximum suggested WOT rpm,then get the same pitch in stainless.

JohninAB
05-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Let me know how that goes. I can almost guaranttee you, you will notice a difference between the two and you won't be impressed.

stubblejumper
05-04-2008, 02:36 PM
If I accept that each inch of pitch difference equals 150 to 200 rpm,then changing to a stainless prop is going to reduce the rpm by approximately 150 rpm to 400 rpm.If the aluminum prop produces 6000rpm,then the stainless prop would be in the 5600 to 5850 rpm range,which is still at the mid to upper end of the recommended 5000rpm to 6000rpm that Mercury recommends for this engine.

Waxy
05-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I think you're bang on stubblejumper. I think you'll be right on with going to a stainless in the same pitch as long as you choose the aluminum to run in the upper end of the RPM range. It shouldn't effect you by more than a couple hundred RPM at most is my guess, which would leave you in the sweet spot of the operating range.

IMHO, on lower HP motors like your 75, the difference between running a stainless and aluminum prop in terms of performance is fairly negligible. You will notice increased performance due the better efficiency, but the real advantage is the durability and consistency that the stainless prop will give you over the lifetime of the boat.

I don't think a 75HP outboard is capable of producing much flex in the smaller pitch and diameter aluminum props that they run. Prop flex is really only an issue on the large HP outboards running large diameter and pitch props.

Waxy