PDA

View Full Version : My New PB Muskie Caught Today, FALL GIANT MUSKIE

ProFishermanJones
09-24-2012, 02:13 PM
here is a video of my new personal best and a nice little picture to go along with it, 52" strong and every thing was done carefully including the release, hope you enjoy the video as much as i did catching it
http://i.imgur.com/xgOsE.png
HERE IS THE MUST SEE VIDEO OF THE SKI BITING MY DAWG AND ME HOOK SETTING, INCLUDING, NET AND RELEASE. ENJOY, and let me know anything that could have been improved on as far as fish handling, editing, filming etc.

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkpteJN6S_s

Albertafisher
09-24-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry to be that guy.... But dude, you aren't really fishing in Alberta, and haven't really posted anything from Alberta. I'm wondering if you're just using this forum as a way you increase your hit-count on YouTube... And try keeping the fish out of the water for only 30 seconds or less. Less stress on the creature. That's my improvement part. Regardless it's a nice fish.

Jamie Black R/T
09-24-2012, 04:23 PM
I could care less where you are from please keep sharing.

your vids are fantastic.

great stuff.

OneGirlWolfPack
09-24-2012, 04:26 PM
That is insane!! I can't even imagine catching something that big! Your reactions are always hilarious..'Oh my god' LOL! Your reaction was a lot more composed than mine would've been. Haha! Your videos are fun. Makes the viewer feel like they were there. Congrats on an amazing catch!! :)

NSR Monger
09-24-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm sorry to be that guy.... But dude, you aren't really fishing in Alberta, and haven't really posted anything from Alberta. I'm wondering if you're just using this forum as a way you increase your hit-count on YouTube... And try keeping the fish out of the water for only 30 seconds or less. Less stress on the creature. That's my improvement part. Regardless it's a nice fish.

lol the man has a point, this is an ALBERTA fishing forum, we dont even have muskie in Alberta, its the exact same as any other random fisherman posting pics and vids of random fish he caught from else wheres, not very useful, i can search 51" muskie on youtube and get lots of hits. You're not even on this side of Canada, like did you live in Alberta at one point or something to make this relevant??

I could care less where you are from please keep sharing.

your vids are fantastic.

great stuff.
the fish is huge i agree, but if you want random vids of big fish from anywhere in the world you can find millions on the net. He is from ontario ffs not even close to us. This is an Alberta fishing forum, not, I can catch big fish lets find any forum on the net to put it on forum
I took the time and effort to type in "huge fish" on youtube for you. here is the link, you're welcome (in advance)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=huge+fish&oq=huge+fish&gs_l=youtube.3...4840.7468.0.7678.15.13.2.0.0.0.18 8.1438.4j9.13.0...0.0...1ac.1.St7l-ARAhN0

anyways, sick fish man, wish we had fish like that around here. only advice would be to get a cradle, seems like you could for sure make use of it.

fishpro
09-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Nice fish!! However I agree with the others on that fish was out of the water for too long, there was shallow water nearby where you released it, so it would have been good to guide the fish over there while fighting it. Also, nets like that with a hard mesh are horrible on fish, so either a net with a better mesh or a cradle would help.

catnthehat
09-24-2012, 06:05 PM
We get pics from Baja, Oregon, B.C., Ontario, Newfoundland, everywhere.
Who cares where the poster is from, it's fishing.
Just because it's "Alberta Outdoorsman" doesn't mean it's a proprietary and mandatory Alberta resident forum.

Same goes for hunting pics and stories, guys hunt and send in pics from everywhere HWT, Saskatchewan, Africa, everywhere.
I don't see a problem with it, myself.....
Cat

Dust1n
09-24-2012, 06:31 PM

Haters gonna hate :sad0020:

ProFishermanJones
09-24-2012, 06:32 PM
:snapoutofit:

Albertafisher - if you can show me the rule where you HAVE To be from alberta to post on here then lesson learned.. but until then. snap out of it.
30 seconds? i though it was one minute out of the water.. And less stress on the creature... incase you didn't see i had a bull dawg hooked through its skull. pulling it in with drag so tight i could wrench in a tree. i did just fine, trust me on this one. most people will nose dive them in right over the break wall like the trollers do. not me i take the time to release it safe fully and slowly,.

Jamie Black R/T - thank you and i will keep sharing, until I'm banned for "being from another province" :D thanks for the kind words again Jamie Black.

OneGirlWolfPack - thanks :) aha i usually am pretty calm when these big girls come to play.

NSR Monger - if you can show me a big muskie video with the quality of mine, from hook set to release etc, all in 720p HD then please do so.
you post this link saying anyone can yada yada yada... but yet on that page every single fish is basically salt water , goliath groupers. sharks etc....even less relevant than what I'm posting..
& to make you happy yes i lived in alberta but i do not like disclosing personal information, so i guess i just made this relevant eh.
& by the way a cradle dosent do you very good if your fishing on a high break wall... that would be a problem. & yes this is where i fish for muskie & no i will not be using a cradle.

fishpro - guide the fish over to the shallow water while fighting it? do you like smoked muskie? so you want me to to walk the fish all the way around the pier/break wall 100 feet so i can land it on a shallow concrete boat launch where it would flop around and probably kill its self...(100% not for landing unless you like smoked muskie & great for slow releasing a fish). yup i will do that next time and see what people have to say.
& any net can be horrible on fish, all depends on how you use it. I've seen a guy with a 300 dollar muskie net get the hooks caught while netting and ripped half the fishes face off, a better net did not help him

and for all you guys talking that BS don't turn around after discrediting me and my fish completely then say oohhh nice fish....... stahp.

in the future if you feel the need to start talking trash then go about it a different way and don't do it or PM me cuz i don't want to hear it, :snapoutofit:

catnthehat - thanks a bunch for clearing that up Cat. much appreciated and glad you don't mind that I'm from another part of canada.

poncho6999 - wow nice link to the fishing picture gallery there, your right about that catch it sure is a dream walleye.

Fish Hunter7 - your right about that. never truer words said.

canadiantdi
09-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Great vid of an awesome fish!!!

HunterDave
09-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks for Sharing PFJ! That is an absolute monster muskie!!!! Don't worry about the negative comments that were posted, keep posting those pictures/videos. They'll likely be of interest to a lot of us on here. :)

OneGirlWolfPack
09-24-2012, 07:19 PM
We get pics from Baja, Oregon, B.C., Ontario, Newfoundland, everywhere.
Who cares where the poster is from, it's fishing.
Just because it's "Alberta Outdoorsman" doesn't mean it's a proprietary and mandatory Alberta resident forum.

Same goes for hunting pics and stories, guys hunt and send in pics from everywhere HWT, Saskatchewan, Africa, everywhere.
I don't see a problem with it, myself.....
Cat

Well said as usual. :) I personally don't care where someone is from. If they take the time to post their experiences and advice, then I appreciate that. If you want to get technical and only let in posters in accordance with the board name, Alberta Outdoorsmen, then I guess fishergrrl, missflyfishing, fishingmom, flygirrl, myself, arachnodisiac, doe tracks, etc, also shouldn't be
here. In my opinion a board isn't great because of it's title. It's great (or not great) because of the quality of it's posters.

Stally77
09-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey PFJ,some people on this forum have a condition called Small Fish Envy. I think it is similar to another known condition.:sHa_sarcasticlol: They get a bit jealous when the see people catching monster fish, and all they can catch are Dinks. Lol. Nice video thanks for posting! Great release too!:sHa_shakeshout:

fishpro
09-24-2012, 07:40 PM
fishpro - guide the fish over to the shallow water while fighting it? do you like smoked muskie? so you want me to to walk the fish all the way around the pier/break wall 100 feet so i can land it on a shallow concrete boat launch where it would flop around and probably kill its self...(100% not for landing unless you like smoked muskie & great for slow releasing a fish). yup i will do that next time and see what people have to say.
& any net can be horrible on fish, all depends on how you use it. I've seen a guy with a 300 dollar muskie net get the hooks caught while netting and ripped half the fishes face off, a better net did not help him

I see what you're saying about the flopping around on the shallow boat launch, but in terms of getting to the release place, wouldn't it be better to guide the fish over during the fight rather than carry it over after landing it? Is there not some way you could fight it so that you're closer to the release place and the fish would be out of the water for less time? Would it be possible to land the fish right beside the launch?

I agree, any net can be horrible, but some will always be bad. No matter how you use it, a net with a knotted mesh like that will always be bad on the fish as it removes its protective layer of slime.

Like I said, it's a very nice fish, and you asked for anything that could have been improved in terms of fish handling, so I just made a couple suggestions. And once you mentioned it I definitely agree with the danger of the fish flopping on the concrete launch.

ProFishermanJones
09-24-2012, 08:05 PM
canadiantdi - much appreciated!

HunterDave - thank you a lot dave!

OneGirlWolfPack - damn i couldn't have said it better my self, i always enjoyed your posts on my threads but this one puts the icing on the cake, or the fish on the hook! what ever ya want to call it.

Stally77 - i laughed out loud from this comment for a good minute and a half! thanks for the kind words and the insight into the condition :D

fishpro - no man i wish it was a possibility trust me i hate fishing from a break wall more than anyone. but like i said if its a matter of me not fishing and fishing then I'm going fishing and going to be as careful as i can.
and i can't disagree with you on the net thing, i hope to one day to get a more proper net because i know exactly what your saying. and your right i asked for it and i got it, but i didn't expect to be profiled based on where i live, that threw me off. didn't mean to get a little snappy but it is what it is, appreciate your input fish pro

RockHammer&Rod
09-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Nice fish man, what province are you in?

ProFishermanJones
09-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks RockHammer&Rod I'm fishing out of Ontario. not nearly as nice as alberta! thanks for the kind words and thats a nice brown in your picture! looks aggressive

here is a few more pictures to show the damage!

This 52" sliced through my 130lb leader like it was butter lucky she was in the net when she did so
http://i.imgur.com/ILN7p.jpg

also here is a picture of my bait with half inch + teeth marks in it,
http://i.imgur.com/OzZGo.jpg

Zuludog
09-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Wicked fish!! :sHa_shakeshout:

I agree with Cat, guys post pics on here from BC Salmon fishing, to NWT Lakers, to African safaris, to sheep hunting in Asia. Who cares where it was caught or shot? Most of us here enjoy a wide variety of outdoor pics and if it wasn't for other posters we may never see a 52" Muskie or a 60" Alaskan moose.

There is tons of local stuff on here and I'd probably leave if this turned predominantly into pics, vids and advice from far away places or in any other way was overflowing with irrelevant info but its not. Thanks for sharing. :)

pelada trochu
09-24-2012, 08:50 PM
:snapoutofit:

Albertafisher - if you can show me the rule where you HAVE To be from alberta to post on here then lesson learned.. but until then. snap out of it.
30 seconds? i though it was one minute out of the water.. And less stress on the creature... incase you didn't see i had a bull dawg hooked through its skull. pulling it in with drag so tight i could wrench in a tree. i did just fine, trust me on this one. most people will nose dive them in right over the break wall like the trollers do. not me i take the time to release it safe fully and slowly,.

Jamie Black R/T - thank you and i will keep sharing, until I'm banned for "being from another province" :D thanks for the kind words again Jamie Black.

OneGirlWolfPack - thanks :) aha i usually am pretty calm when these big girls come to play.

NSR Monger - if you can show me a big muskie video with the quality of mine, from hook set to release etc, all in 720p HD then please do so.
you post this link saying anyone can yada yada yada... but yet on that page every single fish is basically salt water , goliath groupers. sharks etc....even less relevant than what I'm posting..
& to make you happy yes i lived in alberta but i do not like disclosing personal information, so i guess i just made this relevant eh.
& by the way a cradle dosent do you very good if your fishing on a high break wall... that would be a problem. & yes this is where i fish for muskie & no i will not be using a cradle.

and for all you guys talking that BS don't turn around after discrediting me and my fish completely then say oohhh nice fish....... stahp.

in the future if you feel the need to start talking trash then go about it a different way and don't do it or PM me cuz i don't want to hear it, :snapoutofit:

catnthehat - thanks a bunch for clearing that up Cat. much appreciated and glad you don't mind that I'm from another part of canada.

poncho6999 - wow nice link to the fishing picture gallery there, your right about that catch it sure is a dream walleye.

Fish Hunter7 - your right about that. never truer words said.

Dude. I thought u asked for criticism. Maybe you just wanted some ego stroking. Since you came back kinda harsh. Ill assume the ego. We work hard out here in alberta to enjoy our sport fishing. Come out and catch some rainbrowns. Then post them. Its a very big world. Respect first. I didnt see the video but ill assume that this size fish is rare and that you released it which is great. For the sport. Do you fish with barbs down there??? Knock em off if you do. Then go take a vallium:sHa_shakeshout:

ProFishermanJones
09-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Zuludog thanks for putting it into perspective for me

pelada trochu - Respect first is only valid if both sides value it. :sHa_shakeshout: :fighting0074:

fishpro
09-24-2012, 09:13 PM
canadiantdi - much appreciated!

HunterDave - thank you a lot dave!

OneGirlWolfPack - damn i couldn't have said it better my self, i always enjoyed your posts on my threads but this one puts the icing on the cake, or the fish on the hook! what ever ya want to call it.

Stally77 - i laughed out loud from this comment for a good minute and a half! thanks for the kind words and the insight into the condition :D

fishpro - no man i wish it was a possibility trust me i hate fishing from a break wall more than anyone. but like i said if its a matter of me not fishing and fishing then I'm going fishing and going to be as careful as i can.
and i can't disagree with you on the net thing, i hope to one day to get a more proper net because i know exactly what your saying. and your right i asked for it and i got it, but i didn't expect to be profiled based on where i live, that threw me off. didn't mean to get a little snappy but it is what it is, appreciate your input fish pro

Yeah some places end up being hard to fish from, totally understand. That must have been such a rush! I'm sure it's a lot like Golden Trout or Steelhead on the west coast - the numbers are high enough to keep you on your toes, but low enough to make each one a great experience. I'm currently living in Ontario for school (here until December) and I'm hoping to get a musky on the fly before I leave.

ProFishermanJones
09-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Dang i know a few good places for muskie on the fly, where a bouts are you located in ontario if you don't mind me asking! best of luck getting one on the fly I've seen a few caught from shore on the fly and it was quite the rush! and rod bender

fishpro
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Dang i know a few good places for muskie on the fly, where a bouts are you located in ontario if you don't mind me asking! best of luck getting one on the fly I've seen a few caught from shore on the fly and it was quite the rush! and rod bender

I'm in Guelph, but don't mind driving a few hours to get to good fishing. I'd really appreciate some pointers on spots! Where are you? If you're anywhere nearby we should meet up and fish at some point, send me a pm if you want to meet up.

ProFishermanJones
09-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Going to send you a PM now.

pelada trochu
09-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Zuludog thanks for putting it into perspective for me

pelada trochu - Respect first is only valid if both sides value it. :sHa_shakeshout: :fighting0074:

I was responding to your response. So are u also slamming your own response????

:sHa_shakeshout::fighting0074:

By the way were u barbed.

ProFishermanJones
09-24-2012, 09:46 PM
haha i think it was a tie!
& yes i used barbed hooks for muskie not for all fish though, i can't stand losing fish, I'm usually pretty good when it comes to unhooking and such, i will always cut the hook and remove both pieces before keeping the fish out of the water too long. replacing a hook is much better than injuring a fish. probably more than half the muskie i have caught have came unhooked as soon as tension is released and they are netted! which is a big bonus.

Albertafisher
09-25-2012, 12:03 AM

Common knowledge; the longer the fish is out of the water, the
less oxygen to the brain, the more brain damage. If it's possible leave the fish in the water period, and only take them out for a quick snap shot, that is the best option.
And the prior stuff was a statement to enforce local knowledge on this forum, otherwise this would become a nationwide info-bank without any specialized information towards our province. That's all, I just surmised that you were only posting to get yourself more views. I apologize if I was wrong, but empathize with me. I deduced that you were posting for solely popularity, because you never comment on other threads other than your own. Sincere apologies if I am wrong.

As for FH7: Redundant posts are gonna posted eh? :) :)

NSR Monger
09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
haha i think it was a tie!
& yes i used barbed hooks for muskie not for all fish though, i can't stand losing fish, I'm usually pretty good when it comes to unhooking and such, i will always cut the hook and remove both pieces before keeping the fish out of the water too long. replacing a hook is much better than injuring a fish. probably more than half the muskie i have caught have came unhooked as soon as tension is released and they are netted! which is a big bonus.

awww poor baby......and how does the muskie unhook itself half the time with barbed hooks, yet you say you use them so you dont lose fish?

and yes you did specifically ask for criticism, and let me know anything that could have been improved on as far as fish handling, editing, filming etc.

all in 720p HD

720 is hardly hd, what is this, 2005?

heres a link of big muskies for anyone who wants to look at random vids from random people http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=53+muskie&oq=53+muskie&gs_l=youtube.3...19036.19384.0.19769.2.2.0.0.0.0.9 8.196.2.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.EELaKYSRQBY

BeeGuy
09-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Haters gonna hate :sad0020:

so true

DiabeticKripple
09-25-2012, 01:02 PM
This is exactly why members don't post their pics on here, everyone gets tough behind their keyboard

Oh and awesome fish!

BeeGuy
09-25-2012, 02:04 PM
What's wrong with barbed hooks?

JohninAB
09-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Beauty muskie congrats. Going to beetle my way back to NW Ontario and try for a Lac Seul model sooner than later. They have a beauty hanging in the one store just before Sioux Lookout. Good lord it is just this side of a shark!

By my response, I am in favor of you keeping on posting the muskie vids.

PS: Criticism would be, get a bigger net as well. Otherwise, looks good.

TyreeUM
09-25-2012, 05:41 PM
What's wrong with barbed hooks?

they are harder to pull out of your hand...thats about all I got!

NSRMonger....Im am suprised you didn't think that muskie was a tuna. Funny thing is, I bet more people on this site would prefer reading Pro Jones threads over anything you post on here...

Awesome fish man, forget the haters!

gprime27
09-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Now I remeber why I hate posting photos on this site.. Such a sad sad situation this once great forum has become.

BeeGuy
09-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Now I remeber why I hate posting photos on this site.. Such a sad sad situation this once great forum has become.

Was it really different at some point?

spinmat
09-25-2012, 07:29 PM
they are harder to pull out of your hand...thats about all I got!

NSRMonger....Im am suprised you didn't think that muskie was a tuna. Funny thing is, I bet more people on this site would prefer reading Pro Jones threads over anything you post on here...

Gold! :sHa_shakeshout:

ProFishermanJones
09-25-2012, 11:07 PM
diabetickripple - thanks man much appreciated

JohninAB - i want to get up there as well, some beasts to be had!

TyreeUM - thanks a lot man. means a lot. glad you enjoyed my post/video even though it is a outsider coming in!

Beeguy - well said.. worst part is i post on a few US forums and the guys area great, never a guy to be "that guy" kinda weird when i think about it, but it is what it is. some nice people out there and some men who just want to watch the world burn :fighting0021:

was redundant to post my newest video from today but heck with it aha, worst that can happen is someone makes a comment i get a good laugh out of.

Was fishing today and lost a big fish, when fishing for muskies you can figure 8 for them and they will come up and smash lures from the depths of the deep dark murky water! well that happened and i got greedy trying to do to many things at once, Turn my net cam ON, grab the net, i was way to unrelaxed to be in the presence of the BIG fish, so i will let the video do the talking and hope you enjoy! sorry for the bleeps and suck but its RAW footage.
VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4XbO8YDWGA

Eddy62
09-26-2012, 05:57 AM
keep posting your pics and videos there awesome...i dont care if the pics and videos come from greenland , always great to see

congrats on the great muskie.....................later bro:sHa_shakeshout:

NSR Monger
09-26-2012, 12:09 PM

My BET is that you didnt look at numbers of views for our recent posts, otherwise you wouldnt make such a falsified statement lol you're forgetting the massive amount of trollers on here, a few of you that dont like me, doesnt speak for everyone.......and hold on here, thats not a tuna???