PDA

View Full Version : Fishing through a reserve - legitimate question

ÜberFly
09-24-2012, 10:09 PM
I have a question and it's a legitimate question, i.e., not trying to stir the pot or debate bed and bank rights, etc. So please keep your responses respectful!

A colleague of mine booked a guided float for the section of the Bow south of Canmore... The guide informed her that she does not require a fishing license as it's through reserve land and that's considered private (he would of course have permission, I presume)?! I have always thought that if you are floating through it's ok, but you just cannot step out on the bank to walk and wade or access the river through the reserve?!

Is this true?! I would think that in some way, it falls under federal jurisdiction (after all the "land" is a reserve, possibly the water, as well, and the fish within that water that migrate up and down stream?!) and anyone other then first nations (Stoney in this particular case), required a "provincial" or federal license (not sure what federal license would fall within this scenario?!)! What happens if she wants to keep fish, what are the limits, after all she is not First Nations?! I realize that reservations like the Blood Reserve on the "lower" sections of the Bow require a specific license, but I thought that was to access via land?! Maybe her guide fee covers this for the Stoney Nakoda?! Anyone know?! What would be the limits of keeping fish in this particular scenario? From what she has told me the outfitter is hard to get a hold of or I'd try to contact him/them...

TIA

P

npauls
09-24-2012, 10:28 PM
I am almost positive you have to have an Alberta fishing license just like pretty much anywhere else in Alberta. If I remember right you also have to get permission from the Band before fishing reserve waters.

vcmm
09-24-2012, 10:39 PM
I am almost positive you have to have an Alberta fishing license just like pretty much anywhere else in Alberta. If I remember right you also have to get permission from the Band before fishing reserve waters.

Yes x2

thumper
09-25-2012, 12:06 AM
I don't believe you need an Alberta fishing license to fish in Lake Chief Hector at Nakoda Lodge on the Stoney reserve. You just pay a daily fee at the lodge. I would expect the same conditions apply for the Bow River within the reserve boundaries.

mikeym
09-25-2012, 03:14 PM
i don't think the river is considered part of the reserve property as it is classified as a navigable waterway and therfore falls under the Federal Navigation act and is considered Crown property. the band cannot restrict or deny passage of vessels on the river much as landowners cannot stop you from walking the river thru there property either.

as far as a license i would think that since the river and water are considered crown land and this would fall under provincial jurisdiction, then anyone fishing these waters would require a provincial license. i sure wouldn't take the word of the guide as law as i don't think and excuse of "well the guide told me i don't need a license" would stand up in court trying to defend a ticket for fishing without a license.

rgds
Mike

McLeod
09-25-2012, 06:56 PM
You need an Alberta License.
If you fish the pond at the Nakota Lodge you do not need an Alberta license.

You can legally go down the bow river through the reserves.You do not need permission as long as you don't leave the water and access the land.

dodgeboy1979
09-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Reserves are Federally governed that is where some of the confusion comes in. Yes you still need an AB license, you can navigate up or down the river however to land ashore you must have permission to do so.

NSR Monger
09-26-2012, 11:43 AM
a fishing license is $32 (with WIN card), assuming you dont have a WIN card, whats the problem here lol

I think the question is more about the limits?

ÜberFly
09-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys I got the info I needed. Floating through is not an issue. I've clarified with my colleague and she now informs me it's at Nakoda lodge so no license required.

Cheers,

P

NSR Monger
09-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys I got the info I needed. Floating through is not an issue. I've clarified with my colleague and she now informs me it's at Nakoda lodge so no license required.

Cheers,

P
the license was the issue?!?! lol not the limits?