PDA

View Full Version : Sheep River September-October2012

Sheepriverrules
09-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey it's me again. I've been watching the posts pop up like crazy about the sheep river and decided I'd start a new thread instead of replying to all of them.
So I decided to give those who are fishing the sheep a checklist::)

1.Lures: Bullies: Five of diamonds any size, Red and white, anything big black and juicy. Rainbows: Good ol panther martain silver and yellow, small spoons, parachute ant, hares ear and anything small.

2. Holes: TRAIN BRIDGE!!!, the best hole you'll ever see/need. Make sure your on the side with the rocks and the backwater though it helps to see the fish.

3. Techniques: Spoons: Cast and reel in slowly if that doesn't work try different speeds. Cast up stream and let the current drag the spoon across the bottom reeling in slowly to keep slack( I know to think it's crazy but it acutally works!) The best method for fishing spoons though has to be jiging thats right jiging, what io mean is you cast the spoon strait across river and reel in then stop, reel in then stop, you can also do it with the rod tip to.

I hope all these tips help you to catch more fish from the sheep, but please conserve the fish in the river and release the bull trout, and from august 31 to october 31 YOU MUST RELEASE ALL TROUT. Im going camping with my family this weekend to sandy mcnabb or bluerock sure to be a good time will tell you about the trip after, going to try to hit the sheep tonite, will keep you posted after.

If you have anymore questions about the river and the fish please reply to the forum or message me, i know alot about the sheep and i hope i can help.

Sincerly,

Sheepriverrules

Jayhad
09-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Any thoughts to giving the bullies a break while they are on thier redds spawning?

fishpro
09-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Any thoughts to giving the bullies a break while they are on thier redds spawning?

X2 definitely something to keep in mind.

BeeGuy
09-26-2012, 05:13 PM

Is a big deep hole spawning habitat?

Daceminnow
09-26-2012, 06:04 PM

Is a big deep hole spawning habitat?

are riffles located any where near big deep holes?

Dace

Sheepriverrules
09-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Hey man i dont mean to if i am but i've never seen the diging or anything the place i fish there always just swiming aroud and wheen i bring a spoon by only the small ones or the occassional big one take any notice. they don't usaually bite agressivly always kinda slow and cuirious. I've fished once bofore when they where spawning and they killed everything not just my lure.

Jayhad
09-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to call anyone out or say you can't fish for bullies, I'm sorry if that's how it sounded. it's legal knock yourselves out.

But think of this, studies have shown that historically bullies are spawning in the next 2-6 weeks. So in the next 2-6 weeks they are either going to staging, spawing or post spawn recovery. It is a fact that bull trout don't spawn every year and if stressed (not saying caught) during staging they will forgoe a spawning cycle.

To think that a poorly hooked or exhausted bully may not spawing in the next 3 years is to much responsibilty is too much or me personally to bear. I do understand that fishing is a blood sport and by fishing i kill fish regardless of my c&r techniques. I just love them bullies

Dust1n
09-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Jayhad all iv been seeing this month is Big Bull Trout Pictures on facebook.

Jayhad
09-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Jayhad all iv been seeing this month is Big Bull Trout Pictures on facebook.

so that means what?

Sheepriverrules
09-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to call anyone out or say you can't fish for bullies, I'm sorry if that's how it sounded. it's legal knock yourselves out.

But think of this, studies have shown that historically bullies are spawning in the next 2-6 weeks. So in the next 2-6 weeks they are either going to staging, spawing or post spawn recovery. It is a fact that bull trout don't spawn every year and if stressed (not saying caught) during staging they will forgoe a spawning cycle.

To think that a poorly hooked or exhausted bully may not spawing in the next 3 years is to much responsibilty is too much or me personally to bear. I do understand that fishing is a blood sport and by fishing i kill fish regardless of my c&r techniques. I just love them bullies

Never new that my method though is to not horse them im but get them in with enough energy to get away quickly. But 8lbs test doesn't come in handy.