PDA

View Full Version : Fishing licenses...strange reply

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-26-2012, 06:18 PM
My FIL is visiting from BC. He's a senior. We're going fishing this weekend, so the FIL and my wife went down to WSS to get his WIN card and license. The guy behind the counter says "Oh he's a senior, he doesn't need a license"
"Yeah, but he's not an Alberta resident"
"As long as he's Canadian citizen and a senior he doesn't need a license, just a WIN card". :confused: Really?
My wife asked if he was sure, and he said he checked with his boss. Makes me very nervous..!!

From the Alberta Fishing regs:

Alberta Resident
Ages 16 -to- 64 $25.66
Ages 65 & older FREE - No License required
Ages 16 & younger FREE - No License required

Canadian Resident 2

Ages 16 & older $25.66
Ages 16 & younger FREE - No License Required

Mmtobias
09-26-2012, 08:05 PM
I would contact F&W to confirm that as they are the ones that are going to hassle you if WWS is wrong. It's a simple phone call and then you can fish without worrying if he's legal or not.

good luck on the water!!

ice
09-26-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm almost positive he dosent need a license,
But you should still check.

Okotokian
09-26-2012, 09:08 PM
RTR

we should know that abbreviation by now. Read The Regulations.

Only ALBERTA seniors get a free ride on licenses. Not anyone outside the province.

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-26-2012, 09:31 PM
RTR

we should know that abbreviation by now. Read The Regulations.

Only ALBERTA seniors get a free ride on licenses. Not anyone outside the province.
I phoned the store to complain. The girl I talked to confirmed, as I had thought, that only AB seniors don't need a license. When I told her what their employee had told my wife and her Dad, she said "yeah he's new...sorry about that". SORRY 'BOUT THAT?!!!! Uhh...you might want to make sure people who sell licenses know the regulations before putting them behind the counter like that!

Okotokian
09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
I phoned the store to complain. The girl I talked to confirmed, as I had thought, that only AB seniors don't need a license. When I told her what their employee had told my wife and her Dad, she said "yeah he's new...sorry about that". SORRY 'BOUT THAT?!!!! Uhh...you might want to make sure people who sell licenses know the regulations before putting them behind the counter like that!

I'd cut them some slack. Look at the replies here, half the guys didn't know what the regs said. Remember, they are customer service reps for Canadian Tire, not for SRD. Selling licenses is a tiny part of their job. I wouldn't trust them for any advice on hunting or fishing regulations.

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-26-2012, 10:00 PM
I'd cut them some slack. Look at the replies here, half the guys didn't know what the regs said. Remember, they are customer service reps for Canadian Tire, not for SRD. Selling licenses is a tiny part of their job. I wouldn't trust them for any advice on hunting or fishing regulations.
The few on this forum aren't paid to sell fishing licenses. It's not like they went in there and asked the kid "do we need licenses?". They went in there and said "We need to buy a license for my out-of-province senior" and the guy wouldn't sell it to them...saying he didn't need one. Even after my wife insisted, "no, he's not an Alberta resident, I'm pretty sure he needs one"..he STILL said "No".
A couple of anonymous public forum users, I expect not to know the regs...a person representing an agent of RELM selling fishing regs at a fishing store (not Canadian Tire) ...I EXPECT to know if a person needs a fishing license or not!!! What if they had gone fishing and received a hefty fine, and loss of gear?? Lawsuit?

Bigdad013
09-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Again people are acussing the wrong people here, just because they sell them, doesn't mean they have to know every regulation, it would be nice if they did, these stores go through staff like Elvis eating cheeseburgers. You apparently read the regs and it clearly defined it, but you still question it. Obviously the clerk you dealt with, didn't know, but if there was a question and you had doubts, they have the regs there and you could have checked real quick, educated the clerk and everyone would be alot happier. Lawsuits, lawyers....really? lol

Gilligan
09-27-2012, 07:04 AM
so back to the reg. question...

My 80 yr old father from Sask. recently came to visit and we went out fishing
for a few hours. I googled fishing lic. alberta and called a phone
number that came up. ( cant exactly recall what number )

So the girl on the line said " A Seniors from Sask didnt need a WIN or
licence to fish here "

was this correct ????

Bigdad013
09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
so back to the reg. question...

My 80 yr old father from Sask. recently came to visit and we went out fishing
for a few hours. I googled fishing lic. alberta and called a phone
number that came up. ( cant exactly recall what number )

So the girl on the line said " A Seniors from Sask didnt need a WIN or
licence to fish here "

was this correct ????

No..
Canadian Resident 2

Ages 16 & older $25.66

YeeHaw
09-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I had my 83 yo grandfather from Sk fish with me on Wab this summer, we were checked at the park when we came in, I showed my licence and Id, he showed his Sask id with no issues. Ovesly we wernt doing anything wrong.

DiabeticKripple
09-27-2012, 11:23 AM
I had my 83 yo grandfather from Sk fish with me on Wab this summer, we were checked at the park when we came in, I showed my licence and Id, he showed his Sask id with no issues. Ovesly we wernt doing anything wrong.

but he wasnt fishing when you got checked.....

fishpro
09-27-2012, 11:44 AM

The officer could have just been giving him a break as well, don't count on being so lucky next time.