PDA

View Full Version : rod recomendation

WayneChristie
09-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Im done with ugly stiks after today, get to the river and the ceramic insert in the tip is missing, second rod this has happened with. Also tired of the cheap flimsy singlefoot guides, especially the one closest to the handle. had a few of them break now. I miss my original uglystik, caught thousands of fish on it from small perch to one bigger than me, only problem ever with it was my big foot breaking it due to my fault entirely. I fish hard for Lake sturgeon, so I need one with heavy duty guides, and a one piece handle, none of that wasp waisted crap for me. I do have a tiger rod for my baitcasting reel and am happy with that one, but good luck trying to find a spinning version this century. not looking to spend hundreds of dollars but willing to break the century mark for one that will work and last. any ideas? want to find it local too. Oh and BTW if anyone reading this is from TFH your website is messed up. :angry3:

slivers86
09-26-2012, 07:37 PM
A buddy of mine swears by shimano for fishing lake trout and other large species from the boat. And yes Wayne, when I go out, he catches ALOT more fish than I ever would, so he's on your level :)

WayneChristie
09-26-2012, 07:41 PM
And yes Wayne, when I go out, he catches ALOT more fish than I ever would, so he's on your level :)

doesnt everyone? :sHa_sarcasticlol: what model does he use?

slivers86
09-26-2012, 07:42 PM
doesnt everyone? :sHa_sarcasticlol: what model does he use?

i'll find out and shoot you a text buddy!

For a lighter rod - I tried out my clarus the other day on CVR and had a blast. Good action for the mid 20's fish, and even fun for a little 7"er. But thats no dinosaur.. I'll let ya know!

Gust
09-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Im done with ugly stiks after today, get to the river and the ceramic insert in the tip is missing, second rod this has happened with. Also tired of the cheap flimsy singlefoot guides, especially the one closest to the handle. had a few of them break now. I miss my original uglystik, caught thousands of fish on it from small perch to one bigger than me, only problem ever with it was my big foot breaking it due to my fault entirely. I fish hard for Lake sturgeon, so I need one with heavy duty guides, and a one piece handle, none of that wasp waisted crap for me. I do have a tiger rod for my baitcasting reel and am happy with that one, but good luck trying to find a spinning version this century. not looking to spend hundreds of dollars but willing to break the century mark for one that will work and last. any ideas? want to find it local too. Oh and BTW if anyone reading this is from TFH your website is messed up. :angry3:

Dude, I will take pics of 3 rods we just got in and you dont gotta break a hun,, what action would you like sir? Oh the lengths are 9, 10 and 12,

Albertafisher
09-26-2012, 07:55 PM
St. Croix make some AMAZING rods for about $110

WayneChristie
09-26-2012, 07:55 PM
9 would be the max, Id want to use it from the boat as well as shore. looking for one that will handle 50 pound braid and maybe 80. medium action would be fine with a rod that long. in runoff I toss up to 7 or 8 ounce weights too

fishpro
09-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Check out the St Croix Premier spinning rod in the 7' heavy. Nice and light but with some major backbone. You can even go up a bit in their saltwater series rods with some heavy spinning rods.

EDIT: I know Bass Pro has the premier for around $175, and then Wholesale carries the saltwater series, not sure which models they have though.

Alberta Bigbore
09-26-2012, 08:39 PM
St. Croix make some AMAZING rods for about $110

They make amazing rods from $99 - $400+

AppleJax
09-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Berkley Glowstick::fishing: $44.00

BeeGuy
09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
WC,

I have always found that if you actually use (and abuse) your gear, it will wear out.

This is true regardless of make/model.

I doubt guides on the fraser running expensive sticks are using them for several seasons, so I wouldnt expect yours to last for multiple seasons either.

50-100 sturgeon on a ugly stick sounds pretty good. Not to mention banging around in the truck and fishing in extremely hot and cold weather.

Best thing you could look for is a generous warranty.

$0.02

pelada trochu
09-26-2012, 10:29 PM
http://www.tackleindustries.com/muskypikerods.html

Is this what your looking for wayne. If never gone after those sturg but i assume you want beefy.

BeeGuy
09-26-2012, 10:40 PM
A buddy of mine swears by shimano for fishing lake trout and other large species from the boat. And yes Wayne, when I go out, he catches ALOT more fish than I ever would, so he's on your level :)

you can use much smaller gear from a boat because the fish don't have the advantage of swimming away.

For the most part you stay right on top of them. You can use smaller rods, and smaller reels with less line capacity.

This is how they land the monsters on the fraser, by staying on top of them.

try landing a 1000lb sturg from shore. ain't gonna happen.

keep in mind that it will need to be able to cast 4->20oz+ rigs

npauls
09-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Hey Wayne I have a brand new Amundson Sturgeon rod that you can borrow for the rest of the season if you want.

If you like it I am sure I could get you a deal on it and if you don't then you have the whole winter to get a rod figured out. Let me know if you are interested.

Geezle
09-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Take a look at an 8'6" Shimano Clarus :)

BeeGuy
09-26-2012, 11:26 PM

Can it toss a 1lb rig 75'?

Geezle
09-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Can it toss a 1lb rig 75'?

Negative. 6oz that distance is within reason, but beyond that I don't think the tip of the rod would take it.

I've tossed 8oz with mine but that was a pretty gentle lob.

BeeGuy
09-26-2012, 11:45 PM
75' might be excessive, but we had 8-10oz weights free rolling down river at the forks this summer.

davegrant
09-26-2012, 11:54 PM

Still can get Ugly Tiger in spin, Wholesale sports has them also if you can find a Quantum Big Cat . Both are around 70 bucks and have landed a couple of 5 footers on the Fraser for me with no problems. The 8 ft 1 piece sturgeon rods would be overkill for here and loose the thrill of the fight why I also like the softer Tiger. TFO got a nice 3pc X-Heavy 7ft travel rod with lifetime warranty for 140 too. Christmas is coming soon!!!

WayneChristie
09-27-2012, 05:29 AM
thanks guys. Dave Ive checked WSS every time Ive gone in, the tigers are always on backorder. BG this rod was bought maybe a month ago, and only landed maybe 10 or so sturge on it and a few river pike. Shakespear has cheaped out on their rods and they just arent worth it, even for the low price. Other than the tiger that is.

davegrant
09-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Some of the other Wholesale stores have got them. I had to wait about 3 weeks for a special order (store transfer ) for mine but glad I did. These rods always seem to produce no matter what bait you're chuckin. Got a Rapala sturgeon rod that jinxed never catches anything tried same baits/rod holder/ reel but has the curse (present from wife). Funny how Karma works.
HAVE A GOOD ONE!!!

RapStaff
09-27-2012, 10:34 AM
You should check out the R- Type 8 foot sturgeon Boat rod.
I think it runs about $120
Made special for what you're looking for.
If you want somthing longer, check out the NorthCoast series there are some beefy rods in that lineup as well.

mooseknuckle
09-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Berkley Glowstick::fishing: $44.00

Have to agree. Cheap, beefy 6' 6" rods. Have 2 of them and I'm hard on my gear and yet to break one yet!!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Wayne I picked up a couple 9'0 Diawa , Med Action Steelhead rod . Provide you with more then enough length , very sensitive , and perfect for the Strugeon in my opinion that is . And you can chuck some pretty beefy weight I think 12 oz is what it says .

Most will say its over kill but if its worth doing its worth over doing .

AppleJax
09-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Have to agree. Cheap, beefy 6' 6" rods. Have 2 of them and I'm hard on my gear and yet to break one yet!!

I have the 8 foot and have no problem chucking up to 8 ounces. And it glows at night...How cool is that!

WayneChristie
09-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I checked out the glowstick rods at WSS last time I was there, thought what a cheesy gimmick, then got to see one in action at the forks last weekend and regretted not picking one up. plan on a couple of them for next season night fishing. have a line on a steelhead rod that sounds perfect for what I want from a member. :sHa_shakeshout: thanks for all the good ideas.

RavYak
09-27-2012, 08:38 PM
thanks guys. Dave Ive checked WSS every time Ive gone in, the tigers are always on backorder. BG this rod was bought maybe a month ago, and only landed maybe 10 or so sturge on it and a few river pike. Shakespear has cheaped out on their rods and they just arent worth it, even for the low price. Other than the tiger that is.

If it was bought that recent see if they will let you return it wherever you bought it from. If you paid via credit or debit and don't have your receipt they should be able to look it up for you at customers service.

Some place like WSS or Cabelas might not let you get away with it depending on how long it has been but Canadian Tire or Walmart will take it back no problem.

Actually is one of the benefits of buying a rod/reel at Canadian Tire, I took a rod with a broken tip back and they refunded it no questions asked. Don't think the girl even knew what a fishing rod was lol.

That or take a picture, and find your receipt and send an email to ugly stick and see if they are willing to do anything about it, you never know.

WayneChristie
09-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I did email them yesterday, told them the problem with the guides and eyes, and they replied take pics of the breaks and return the rods for warranty, number one it must be a form letter I didnt say anything about breaks in my email, and number two by the time I pay shipping and handling both ways it wont be worth the effort. funny thing, Ive had an uglystik junior for 3 or 4 years now, used to use it for pike from the canoe just for fun, never had a problem with it. this afternoon take it along and figure Id play with the suckers with it just for fun, first bite it snaps right in half, the day after I emailed Shakespeare about the other rod. I give up. :angry3:

WayneChristie
09-27-2012, 09:25 PM
this is the one I tried to use today, it was fine until I got a bite and set the hook.
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/Sept%2021-27%202012/DSCF2796.jpg

pelada trochu
09-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Your scaring me dude. Making me not want to pick mine up would be so sad if it snapped. Cant buy my model anymore either

EZM
09-27-2012, 09:54 PM

I have two of these for running my okuma level wind counters in med and med heavy for down rigging, dipsy diving and trolling in general.

Every once in while, when duty calls, I throw on my big spinning reel (spooled with 40lb power pro) onto the med action model and it works awesome.

Great rods - i think around $60 or so ......

Fishnafterwork
09-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Wayne ..... U want a shimano technium 8' sturgeon rod ..... Nuff said!:sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
09-29-2012, 10:33 AM
thanks for all the suggestions, thanks to Gust I have the rod I wanted, :sHa_shakeshout: and another awesome rod as well for shore fishing, going to go see if I can break them in right now. If you are reading this Gust nice to meet you and your dad, and good luck out there today.

WayneChristie
09-29-2012, 05:15 PM
OK no sturgeon today, but broke both rods in, in no time. Had the first fish on my "spinning tiger" in less than 2 minutes, nice fat sucker, also lost 2 walleyes and landed another on on it, a bit overkill for the baitstealers, but the sucker put a decent bend in it. The second rod is a steelhead rod, beautiful custom job made in Vancouver when most of you were still in jammies with feet on them. 5 suckers on it, including a big bullish 6 pounder that made a couple awesome runs before I got it to shore. :sHa_shakeshout:

Gust
09-30-2012, 12:21 PM
That steelhead rod is fun but I think it will break on a sturge from a boat, who knows,, it's such a nice looking rod too and not made in China, for a change. I'm going to try the 10 1/2 Daiwa this afternoon as a spey rod on the Bow, just to see, It's like a 6 weight-tip/9 weight-bottom cross, should be a blast with any fish.

Nice finally putting an actual person to an avatar and be glad my dad decided to sleep in as he can become quite the chatty cathy after his first mug of joe, though had you stuck around much longer you would have had his great cholesterol rich breakfast.

Gust
09-30-2012, 02:29 PM
the rod is the yellow one in the picture but with a cork handle and about 39 years old,, Trophy XL

WayneChristie
09-30-2012, 07:51 PM
its caught me probably 15 fish already, had a very good walleye on it a couple hours ago, and a 6 pound sucker yesterday, Im loving the action. I think it will do great for shore fishing sturgeon, just need the reel drag set right and it will be good to go. Nice meeting you and your dad as well. Did you manage to get any fish? nothing like a well made classic rod, especially the double locking rings to hold the reel on.