PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Tournaments

oldredneck
05-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Can anyone provide me info on fishing tournaments in Alberta or where I can go on the web to find this. Thanks.

stubblejumper
05-04-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.gowalleye.com/tournament-listings.htm

gramps73
05-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Stubble
Do you fish the walleye turnys
g

stubblejumper
05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I have never fished a walleye tournament,but I am interested in giving it a try,now that I have a suitable boat.However it will likely have to wait until next year.My fishing in recent years has been limited to fishing salmon and Halibut in B.C.,some river fishing from shore for walleye,and some ice fishing,but I bought the boat with the intention of doing much more fishing.

dugh
05-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Oldredneck, two things:
1) the way you fish you should consider spending your money on lessons rather than tournies.
2) after seeing your pictures on the other thread I can see why some people would rather kiss the fish!
Hope this helps.
Doug

tchow
05-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I fished SAWT(Southern Alberta Walleye Trail)a couple years ago and it was a great learning experience. Alot of great guys that fish the Tourney religiously. If you got the time and money go for all 4. If not, you can enter individual Lakes that they have it on..
Good luck

dss44
05-05-2008, 08:10 PM
There is going to be a big fully guided salmon/halibut tournament in port hardy in aug of 2009. $10000 prizes for biggest salmon and hali. PM for details if you like.

shredder
01-18-2011, 08:41 PM
looking for fun in fishing derby with friends around calgary, please

freeones
01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
I enjoy tournament fishing, but every time I think I should sign up for a couple of the SAWT events, I look at the rules and the results from the previous couple years and I lose my motivation.

I understand the limitations that AB's regs place on tournaments and that they create a different strategy than I'm used to, and I could live with that, but when I see winning 2 day weights under 13lbs at several tournaments (that's ONE FISH at any of the SK tournies) and a list of teams that weigh ZERO lbs longer than the list of teams that weighed fish, I just can't get excited about fishing these tournaments.

npauls
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
The low bite tourneys on the SAWT are the ones where you find out how good of a fisherman you really are. It can be very frustrating but the guys that know what they are doing usually end up weighing in fish.

For me and my partner we have found out that we do alot better in the tougher bite then when the bite is plentiful. I am not sure why this is but we aren't complaining.

If you want to sign up for one of the trail stops that always produces well to see how it is then try the travers tourney. There always seems to be plenty of fish weighed in and usually has the most entries.

I really like the fact that no one is ever a for sure shoe in at the top and anything can happen at the SAWT. Can make for a really interesting sunday afternoon payout.

Nate

Drop_Tine
01-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Oh come on Nate there is one tream that is a shoe in ....lol ... Joking ... See u out there man

freeones
01-20-2011, 08:07 AM
The low bite tourneys on the SAWT are the ones where you find out how good of a fisherman you really are. It can be very frustrating but the guys that know what they are doing usually end up weighing in fish.

For me and my partner we have found out that we do alot better in the tougher bite then when the bite is plentiful. I am not sure why this is but we aren't complaining.

If you want to sign up for one of the trail stops that always produces well to see how it is then try the travers tourney. There always seems to be plenty of fish weighed in and usually has the most entries.

I really like the fact that no one is ever a for sure shoe in at the top and anything can happen at the SAWT. Can make for a really interesting sunday afternoon payout.

Nate

I hear what you're saying, but fishing hard under that kinda pressure for two days to weigh in 2 or 3 little fish isn't really my idea of a good time. Been there, done that.

There's no doubt the better fisherman will generally rise to the top in a tough bite. However, when you're dealing with a bite like that, all too often it just turns into a lottery where everyone is doing pretty much the same thing in pretty much the same place, and whoever manages to get lucky, and it is luck in that situation, and land that one decent fish ends up in the money or maybe even winning the thing.

I much prefer to fish tournies where there's lots of water, lots of strategies working, and lots of big fish being caught. Win or lose, they're just much more interesting and fun.