PDA

View Full Version : Taping Reels to Ice Rods

Garry B
09-27-2012, 05:00 PM
If anyone has the type of ice rods that have the reels attached with those plastic/rubber bands that are held in place with a friction fit they have probably experienced how the bands can come loose and the reel falls off. I have that type and had made temporary fixes with good old electricians tape. But the reside it leaves bothered me. So I think I found something better. It's a silicone tape with no adhesive. You stretch it a lot when you wrap it on and it adheres only to itself. It is supposed to fuse with itself to form a solid bond. I tried it (wrapping it over the band and closer to the reel stem) and it seems to be working well so far. Now the test will be to see how it lasts and performs in below freezing temperatures. It's available at Canadian Tires and also on eBay. Maybe other places too.

MuleyMonster
09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
What I use is zip ties. They use them to keep the rod and reel together at the store so I thought why not keep them on if you buy them or put them on the ones you already have. Works great and cheap or already there.

Geezle
09-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Sounds like neat stuff Garry!

A couple zip ties will work in a pinch too :)

pelada trochu
09-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Yes thats a good idea. I have some rubberself vulcanizing splicing tape. This has worked well for me

Albertafisher
09-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Anything will work, my buddy uses zip-ties. I use electrical tape, because I find zip-ties will cut into your hands. Some people even use bike tire tubes!

Dust1n
09-27-2012, 05:31 PM
I use Duct Tape being the stuff St.Croix sends you is complete Garbage

Garry B
09-27-2012, 06:15 PM
I use Duct Tape being the stuff St.Croix sends you is complete Garbage

CanTire had some beautiful bright PINK duct tape that I was really tempted to buy ...

:thinking-006:

... on second thought: no.

npauls
09-27-2012, 06:45 PM
I use electrical tape right now but am interested in this silicone tape you speak of Gary.

I may have to head down to Can.Tire tomorrow and check it out.

I am pumped for ice season and getting into some more decent sized perch again. Those little tungsten jigs are going to be deadly again I think.

WayneChristie
09-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I tried zip ties as well and also fond they were pretty irritating, no matter which way you turn them they dig into your hands. No problem with the electrical tape, dont take the reels off anyways. the self sealing stuff does sound good though

AppleJax
09-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I also find zip ties cut into my hand. I now only buy ice rods with a proper real seat. I do have a couple old ones with the bands still, I might have to give that stuff a try and give them some new life.

calgarygringo
09-27-2012, 08:50 PM
As above just purchase a rodwith a seat and problem solved. How many rods do you use in the summer with duct tape and cable ties holding on your reels? Winter fishing can be as productive as summer so why not just use decent gear and not worry about equipment loss or failure.

npauls
09-27-2012, 09:01 PM
There is tons of decent ice rods that have a bare handle or the little plastic sleeves.

I actually like the bare handle rods more then ones with a reel seat.

There is open water rods with bare handles also but they are less common.

bwackwabbit
09-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Hockey tape!

Tough as old boots and really improves the grip.

Cheers.

gl2
09-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Hockey tape!

Cheers.

x2

its also so much easier on the hands when its cold.

Garry B
09-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Hockey tape!

Cheers.

Yes - hockey tape! Wish I thought of that. YOU ARE CANADIAN! Do you mean stick tape or shin pad/sock tape? It's been so long since I played hockey but do players still use tape for socks? Is is rubbery? Is stick tape still like cloth?

This silicone stuff seems grippy too.

Mudslide
09-27-2012, 09:38 PM
I agree hockey tape (the clear sock tape) works great and doesn't leave the residue that elecric tape does.

gl2
09-27-2012, 09:39 PM
stick tape. the black stuff will also warm up with a little sun.

pelada trochu
09-27-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0702619

FYI

I use something similar. They have this type of stuff at home depot.

Ice ice baby

gl2
09-27-2012, 09:44 PM
if you are really worried about residue left on your rod make the first wrap on your rod upside down (sticky side up). no more gunk on your rod.

npauls
09-27-2012, 09:53 PM
I tried hockey stick tape but found the glue seeps through the material and gets sticky on the outside so I went back to electrical tape.

bwackwabbit
09-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Stick tape in black.

Like npauls said it does get sticky after prolonged use but its cheap as chips so I just retape every other trip. This way I know I'm not gonna have a problem out on the ice.

Cheers.

bwackwabbit
09-27-2012, 10:01 PM
if you are really worried about residue left on your rod make the first wrap on your rod upside down (sticky side up). no more gunk on your rod.

Or that!...lol.

Cheers.

fish gunner
09-27-2012, 10:28 PM
one more for hockey tape. its on all my ice rods except my level winds for pike.wd 40 removes the residue, not for rods with cork handles.

Kim473
09-28-2012, 03:15 AM
While reading this I just thought of, heat shrink tubing. Think it would work great.